Floor Plans For A Bakery/cake Shop?

Business By CakeMommie Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 1:12am by Monkess

CakeMommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommie Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I am starting a cake business, and I need to find info about floor plans.
I've googled a little, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I basically want to just look over some existing floor plans to see what I might like or dislike about a layout. I own a building that's 4000 sq feet (40 x 100), but it needs everything done to it. I know I need to talk to an architect, but I want to see some existing ones before I do. And also to determine if we want to keep all of the building for cake purposes, or lease out half... kwim?

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #2 of 3

Forget the architect right now. If you're looking for outside help, find a kitchen designer. I used a kitchen designer that specialized in commercial kitchens. Since I purchased all of my equipment thru them, she waived the designer fee, so I got her designer services for free. A comm'l kitchen designer knows how a comm'l kitchen's workflow is suppose to work and knows what the local health dept will and won't approve; they can find great deals for you (got my 10x12 walk in refrigerator for only $1200 ..... got my $15,000 comm'l dishwasher for less than $7,000). A good kitchen designer also works with architects and some have architects on staff, so getting the floor plans architect approved is not a problem.

My designer saved me THOUSANDS of dollars and got me more equipment than I thought I'd ever be able to afford.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #3 of 3

An architect is not necessarily the best we person to help you design a commercial kitchen. I used a designer who also happened to work for the largest restaurant supplier in my area. He was well versed with equipment, electricity requirements and the general practicality of the layout. If you dont know anyone then get referals from other restuaranters, contractors or restaurant equipment suppliers. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%