Wilton Leaf Cut & Press...am I A Moron Or What~Sigh~

Decorating By moufette Updated 29 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm by Carolynlovescake

moufette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moufette Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, so how does this thing work? I understand the first part, cutting the rectangle and then pressing it into the detail side, but for the life of me, I don't understand how to get the detail on the other side of the leaf! The cutting side and the detail (green) side don't match!!!!! Is it something so simple or is it me that is so simple????? dunce.gif

15 replies
tnt320to Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnt320to Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 16

For some reason I bought this product too. It is another terrible design by Wilton. If I read the instructions correctly, I think you use the side that just has a big rectangle and cut that out. Then place the rectangle on the inside of either piece and press the two together. When I did it, the fondant stuck in several places and it didn't go deep enough to give the viening. I have used the green outside just as a veiner and that seems to work. I cant see cutting a big rectangle just to cut three leaves. You would use so much fondant just to make a handful and have to keep rolling it out again to make more. I didn't like it at all!

webbiedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webbiedeb Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 16

I got the leaf set and the blossom. I hate them. I don't know if the fondant need to be rolled really thick to work or what. I feel it was wasted money. I don't think I will ever use them again

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 16

I used it once, but I didnt imprint the other side. Maybe you could only do one side..... icon_confused.gif I could be wrong!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 16

I looks at it and decided I didn't want to spend that much money for something that looked that hard to use. I think I'm glad I passed on it.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 16

i bought the button flower set. it also sucks. : (

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 16

awwwww man... i just bought that darn thing to, to use on a cake thats due this weekend =~ (

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 16

Well poop. I bought the whimsical flower one to try on a cake this weekend. I'll be sure to extra cornstarch it and roll it thick!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 16

We were told to lightly 50/50 dust the inside, but not too much. It is best to "season" it a little.

We rolled it out 1/8 or thicker, cut out the rectangle, and then put the the two pieces together. We took a rolling pin and rolled over the whole thing to make sure it imprinted.

Then we took a very small, sharp object like a tiny toothpick and pried them out. It actually got easier the more we did, and the more seasoned the whole thing got.

HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 16

there is a cake on this site... the lady used the blossom set and the leagf set.... it is in black and white.... so beautiful... you need to mix half g/p and half fondant... then i dust with cornstarch/10x sugar mix (half& half).... works beautiful.... i have so many other cutters... this is nice to play with if you are not use to any others.... like everything else.... try them again.... you,ll like them better... where did most of us get our start.... wilton.... right? i didn,t say all of us... i wouldn,t be where i am today.... if i hadn,t taken wilton classes about 15 years ago... i do appreciate them and all that they offer... classes so cheap... to learn so much... i am thankful for that.... even some of your most famous teachers use some wilton products and sell them.. its just another part of the decorating line of products for us...

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 16

I saw those tools and thought they looked kind of worthless. I'm glad now I didn't buy them.

I sure wish Wilton would update their class curriculum. The projects are SO old fashioned and outdated and most of them are just plain ugly.

The techniques are helpful and getting to pick our instructor's brain for lots of helpful hints and tricks of the trade was priceless, but I think the books and projects are just too 1970's and need major revamping.

moufette Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 16

Holy smokes but you guys are quick to respond!! My first reaction to the replies was............I wasted my money on a crappy product, however, there seems to be some hope! I'm going to try your tips. I've got some leftover fondant that I'll mix with gum paste. I'll let you know. I'm making a dummy wedding cake for my niece and she wanted it covered in leafs. Going with a dummy is the only way I can go as the wedding is in Ottawa, Ontario. I'm in Toronto so that makes for a 5 hour drive. I'd be WAY to neurotic to transport a real cake. I'll be making the top cake (for cutting) and slab cakes for serving.
Let me say again, YOU GUYS ROCK! thumbs_up.gif

moufette Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks CakeMom & icer101! I tried your tips and it works like a charm. You just have to take your time.

I'll post a pic when I've completed the cakes.

Thanks again!

Cheers

moufette Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:14am
post #14 of 16

Well I FINALLY got the cake completed! I was having kittens transporting it (over a 5 hour car trip). My heart was in my mouth with every bump on the road but there were no casualties (except for my blood pressure).

Putting on the top "cutting" cake went well. Just had to pipe a straight border around the bottom. When I thought all was well, I remembered that I FORGOT MY CAMERA (what a moron!!!!). I'm now waiting on the wedding photographer to send me a proper picture, but one of my niece's friends was nice enough to send me this picture.

I have to say that this site is a Godsend. You guys are always so quick to help and share your vast knowledge. Thank you all so much!
LL

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 1:41am
post #15 of 16

I am so glad it went well! THe cake is beautiful!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 29 Oct 2008 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 16

That turned out beautiful!

I have both press sets and they definately need to be seasoned. I have a good friend living with us right now and he went to wash it and I shot across the kitchen and said "cake toy!" rather abruptly and then burst out laughing.

Everyone in this house knows not to wash my cake toys now. Leave them for me and I'll tend to my babies thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%