Air Brush...another Way

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm by CakeMakar

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 53

Okay I'm calling on the help of all CCers. I dont have an air brush machine but would like to try a design that needs to be air brushed. Is their another way to get the effect? If so HOW???? Some one please help!

52 replies
Cherie206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherie206 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 53

I've been trying to find that out too! I posted a topic about it, but haven't received any responses. I saw in another forum topic a few weeks ago, someone mentioned something that you could get from Home Depot that would work. They didn't say what it was called.....I went into my local Home Depot to see if I could find it and even asked someone for help. I think they thought I was crazy icon_smile.gif. If anyone out there knows what it's called, I'd love to know too.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 53

Preval sprayer. found in the paint department.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 53

For practice, you can always give the Wilton spray food color a try! I used it on a cake and was easy and seemingly perfect. The black wasn't as great as the other colors.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 53

leahs-
What exactly is Preval Sprayer and how much are they, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for your help!
Valerie

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Preval sprayer. found in the paint department.

Do you use this exactly like the airbrush? What do you do as far as the airbrush colors ?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 53

Oh, I've only read about it on here. You might start a new thread with "Preval Sprayer" in the title to attract those who have actually used it.

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 53

I just bought the Preval Sprayer but I have not tried it. I got it for $5.95 at Home Depot.

I think it will work more like the Wilton Spray vs. an Air Brush machine.
icon_confused.gif

I am anxious to try it!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 53

Thank you anyway leahs!

Jmtreu98- Will you let us know how it works? TIA!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 53

I have used the Preval Sprayer. You can search here on CC with Preval Sprayer and see different discussions on them - they are highly recommended by several people including our favorite 'Doug'!

I found mine at an auto parts store - they are frequently used for touch ups on cars. It is extremely easy to use and the jar comes with it mix your color or dusts in and it is easy to clean also. But when the Preval itself runs out of the canned air - then you have to replace it with another can - so try to buy extra. The initial preval can of air and bottle was less than $10.00.

Just call around - I found mine at "O'Reilly Auto Parts' - and I have also seen them on eBay too.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 53

I googles reval sprayer - neither Home Depot or Lowes carries it but here is the How to Use it guide from distributor - http://www.prevalspraygun.com/howto.htm

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 53

Awesome! Thanks for the great info on the Preval Sprayer!

(I love CC icon_wink.gif )

Jmtreu98 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

I googles reval sprayer - neither Home Depot or Lowes carries it but here is the How to Use it guide from distributor - http://www.prevalspraygun.com/howto.htm

I got mine at Home Depot icon_confused.gif

Cherie206 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 53

Wow - thanks all! My Home Depot does not carry that, but I'll try the auto parts stores. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 53

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-60261.html

I found this while searching on this subject, you might want to take a look before buying one.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 53

The canned Wilton sprays work well.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm
post #17 of 53

Leahs....................I don't have an air brush for cakes but I do have a 1hp craftsman compressor that I used to use for air brushing ceramics. Can that be used for cake decorating or is the air flow to strong? Thanks it's a paache I believe air brush system.

ghghgh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghghgh Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 53

I use the airbrush machine that you buy in the toy department to paint model cars. It works very well and you can buy extra glass bottles to go with it. It doesnt paint as fine lines as the real airbrush machines.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Leahs....................I don't have an air brush for cakes but I do have a 1hp craftsman compressor that I used to use for air brushing ceramics. Can that be used for cake decorating or is the air flow to strong? Thanks it's a paache I believe air brush system.

Does it have an adjustable pressure gauge? If so you can definitely use it... as long as you can get the pressure under 30 (25, even better). If not, you may actually be able to just get a pressure regular for your compressor and then you'll be all set.

alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #20 of 53

Gee, I wonder if Home Depot has something like Preval but non-toxix??? I'm surious how would the sprayer be toxic? Is it the canned air? hmmmm Thanks for the link Edee

I sure would like to know if there is something else you could use. I have used Wilton sprayers but they only come in so many colors. I'd like to try diffrent colors and add luster to the color and then spray..knock two birds out with one stone, ya know?

alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #21 of 53

Oh yes another question....does it have to be a certain type of air brush machine? Does it have to be for edible purposes?

Jmtreu98 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:45pm
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edee

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-60261.html

I found this while searching on this subject, you might want to take a look before buying one.

Thanks Edee! I am taking mine back! icon_cry.gif

Cherie206 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:45pm
post #23 of 53

ghghgh - where did you get that airbrush? Which Hobby/Toy store? Also, what is it called? Thanks!

Also, a comment on Wilton colors. I don't really like them, the colors are too "bright". They are ok for cupcakes for the kids and cookies and I have used it to spray fondant, only because the pink was the right color for the cake. Otherwise I don't use them on cakes.

PinkZiab Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

Oh yes another question....does it have to be a certain type of air brush machine? Does it have to be for edible purposes?

It can be any airbrush, as long as it has never been used for anything BUT cakes. Brand new, straight from the box, FOOD ONLY. lol You can buy non-toxic airbrush cleaner made specifically for cleaning cake decorating brushes, and clean your brush thoroughly before the first use.

alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm
post #25 of 53

I found a couple of places....

This one seems good for a beginner
http://www.cake-decorating-supply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=29

This one is kinda expensive for me
http://www.kopykake.com/cd_compressor_airmaster.html

This one might be the same as the first one
http://www.kopykake.com/cd_compressor_kroma_jet.html

This one is from SugarCraft Store.
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/airbrush/airbrush.htm

alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #26 of 53

MMMMM the last website says blocked but its from Sugar Craft

PinkZiab Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #27 of 53
Quote:

Gee, I wonder if Home Depot has something like Preval but non-toxix??? I'm surious how would the sprayer be toxic? Is it the canned air? hmmmm

It because the can is not just "canned air" but rather chemical propellants. While all aerosol food products (pam, for example) use chemical propellants, they must be of the type and in quantities approved for use with food. The cans of propellant used in the preval sprayer and other airbrush kits of this type available at craft and hobby stores have not been approved as food-safe. Of course many CC'ers have used them without consequence, but it's up to you whether or not to take that chance.

PinkZiab Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm
post #28 of 53
Quote:

MMMMM the last website says blocked but its from

You should type it out l i k e t h i s with spaces in between the letters so it won't get blocked.

alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #29 of 53

I was about to give up on the sites name S U G A R C R A F T

I'm kinda scared to use one now. I'd be up all night wondering if the ppl eating the cake got sick!

The second website that I listed has one for $160. Do you have to buy diffrent tips to make fine lines or is the the setting on the compressor that determines how big the lines are?

Sandy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy2008 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:02pm
post #30 of 53

I just googled it. You can try to see it at the link below, if it doesn't work, just google Preval sprayer home depot. It looks like it might work. I will likely pick one up too.

http://store.fastcommerce.com/cat_PaintProsUSA_ff80808117344aab01175581fc276445.html?gclid=CJbP2bOO9ZUCFQVtMAodcUI5iw

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%