Pumpkin Cake Stability

Decorating By rrmom2boys Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm by rrmom2boys

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 7

I wanted to try the pumpkin cake made by stacking two bundt cakes. For those of you who have made this cake, is it very stable? Do you put any support in it?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 7

I havent done that cake, but looks like if you dowel rod it it would be fine are you moving it after you put it together?? make sure you put a strong dam inbetween the layers, Hope this helps

peg91170 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg91170 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 7

I've made it before and didn't put any sort of support in it, but then again I didn't have to transport it.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 7

Make sure that they are really level. Good dam of BC, and I used a food skewer instead of a dowel. I put in 3, then clipped them close to the top. Just to keep the top from sliding off the bottom.

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 7

What Jade said is right onicon_smile.gif
The general rule of thumb is use dowels for every 4" of heighth. Soooo if those bundt cakes a like 3" then you should be safe not putting supports in. The use of kabob sticks will keep the two pieces from sliding apart - not support the weight of one on top of the other.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:01am
post #6 of 7

I did one and I used dowels; I was transporting it well over 60 miles and didn't want to take any chances. I had torted the layers so each layer probably was close to 4" in height. When I constructed the cake, I put the top cake on its own board because the cakes were two different flavors, so they were easier to separate and serve.

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%