Legal In Germany?

Business By jennicita Updated 8 Oct 2017 , 5:11am by DormCat

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:12am
post #1 of 4

Hi everybody! I'm pretty much a lurker and a beginner but have started thinking more and more about selling cakes on the side just to get more practice, have a little fun and try out some new things. Problem is I'm in Germany. I just talked to someone at the local city hall, though, and was told all I have to do is register a business (â¬40) and keep track of everything for taxes. As long as I don't earn over a certain amount through this (â¬18000 a year, which will not be happening), I don't have to worry about the 'trade tax' which larger companies need to pay. The health department might do a spot check from time to time but I don't have to have any special equipment or anything! Can it possibly be this easy? Is anybody else out there legal in Germany? Am I missing something?

I'm excited that this might turn out to be much easier than I ever expected - and that in a country that is known for overregulation of so many things. Do any of you have any experience you could share?

Thanks!

Jenny

3 replies
Erjia2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erjia2001 Posted 8 Aug 2017 , 11:41am
post #2 of 4

Dear Jenny,

just saw your post , I'm wondering if you already found the answer yet since I'm having the same situation here in Germany , I would like to sell my cakes or cupcakes legal here as a side job , do you have any idea what to do ? Thanks !

cici

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 6 Oct 2017 , 6:18am
post #3 of 4

Sorry, just saw this post. Unfortunately you need a separate kitchen and potentially food safety training. It's fairly difficult here and I don't think there's a financial incentive doing it on the side - it needs to be a full-time job in the high-end segment because people also don't really value the work that goes into these cakes. That's just my 2 cents though.

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 8 Oct 2017 , 5:11am
post #4 of 4

I’ve lived in Germany and I have several German friends here in the states and they have told me about some of the rules you have to follow for different things. You even have to have a permit to cut a tree down in your own yard. I can only imagine what you have to do to get permission to be a baker. Do you live on a military base or the economy? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%