Uhhhhh.... Crazy Mom Wants Crazy Cakes For 4 Yr Old Bday...

Decorating By SweetStuff30 Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm by shellzey

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #31 of 52

Washable crayons, they wipe off anything with a damp towel. Nothing else is allowed in our house.

I would also try one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, they get a lot of stuff off too.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #32 of 52

Don't use a magic eraser on your LCD screen.. it will scratch the heck out of it. Use a solution of water and white vinegar and gently rub with a soft cotton cloth (an eye glass cloth would be perfect). Don't spray it with anything and don't rub too hard.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #33 of 52

thanks jkalman! I am working my way up in the prices.... there are very few decorators here, and people will gladly go to a grocery store, but i'm workin' on em! I want to be competitive, but not stupidly cheap either icon_wink.gif One thing i've noticed that means i can raise my prices is the last few cakes i have done i have gotten BIG tips... so i think the city is ready!

have fun with the kiddos tonight... I'm glad i only have one for now icon_biggrin.gif

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:15am
post #34 of 52

I won't bother with quoting and all that, but...

If people aren't aware of laws, like running stop signs for example, then they are ticketed for breaking that law...they'd be a little upset. You don't go around calling your children's teachers names because they tell your children the rules, do you? I hope not.

So what if jkalman wants to make people aware of the LAWS! Laws are out there for people to obey and, if it were me, I'd want to be made aware of any that I didn't know about.

In my opinion, I'd go with the themed idea and stear clear of copywritten characters.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:17am
post #35 of 52

BTW Roxxy.. I must say that love that carebear cake in your pics.. and I say this with complete sincerity too.. nothing snarky at all so please don't take it like that.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #36 of 52

I just wanted to add that while a lot of people "get away" with selling copyrighted stuff I happen to know a couple personally that sold wilton stuff (like the shaped pan cakes) and some disney stuff and disney and wilton both contacted this place via their lawyers to cease and disist (sp?) on all activity pertaining to their copyrighted figures or else. They were served with a lawsuit from both companies within weeks of eachother, Disney was the most aggressive too...they were trying to sue them for over 10,000 dollars.......and they had only sold 2...yes 2 cakes, each one less than 20 dollars each and those 2 cakes could have potentially cost them EVERYTHING!!!!!!! Needless to say they don't touch copyrighted stuff anymore.......but I live in a rinky dink town so i figure if they're willing to mess with someone here they'll mess with em' anywhere!!!!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:56am
post #37 of 52

ok looking past the illegal/legal things...I have an idea for you. Why don't you do mini cakes 4 inch ones (fat daddios sell them) and make the characters out of fondant? Just an idea....good luck to you. I agree with some of the others....you know not every character cake on here was done for free icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif I also think the cupcake tower is a good idea.. I know the Disney store sells the figures if you don't want to make them, or want to know where to buy them. You could always make a 6 inch cake for the top of the tower for the birthday boy with his favorite character with checkered sides...or something like that!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #38 of 52

I live near Orlando, i.e. - Disney, Universal, Nickelodeon, and I won't touch the copyrighted stuff. I'll be happy to do a theme around the character and they can put a toy on the cake. no prob, but definitely no characters. I did a pathetic Curious George recently for a friend, though. I warned them not only do I don't do characters, I'm not real good at them anyway. They wanted it, and if the Curious George people came after me, they would have to prove it was him. Good luck with that!!!!
All my other character cakes were done when I was doing it as a hobby, but once I started got legal and started selling, I quit.
Just my two cents...

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:07am
post #39 of 52

WOW Cat Fight - Meow - LOL. Oh Man, you ruined it for me. Now that I know - that Catholic Guilt will start rearing it's ugly head. Really labor intensive request anyway. They sell those copyrighted "theme" cakes at the supermarket. Tell her to go get one of those and then have you make a wonderful and delicious cake that is actually edible compared to all that yuck most supermarkets and warehouse stores sell.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:40am
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

Have you ever thought people think you sound like the copyright police because you make yourself sound that way?????

I just love when people get all pissy from a post i made icon_biggrin.gif

Have you ever considered that fact that you sound like a 16 year old on PMS in most of your posts? If you want to be taken seriously, try not be to so immature.

Has anyone every told you if something isnt your business dont put your nose in it??????

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #41 of 52

I have a question for the copyright police icon_lol.gif j/k But I do have a question. If I make an edible image of an invitation is that still illegal? I've never thought about that. That(or my husband) would kill me if I got fined that much money for a $20 cake icon_cry.gif

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:53am
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

I have a question for the copyright police icon_lol.gif j/k But I do have a question. If I make an edible image of an invitation is that still illegal? I've never thought about that. That(or my husband) would kill me if I got fined that much money for a $20 cake icon_cry.gif

as far as I understand, photos are all copyrighted by the person who took that photo, any unauthorized reproduction of that photo falls under copyright laws. you have to have a copyright release to reproduce any photo (that includes photo that you take with your own camera you are protected if someone else tries to take that photo you took and print it off)

nickshalfpint Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:03am
post #43 of 52

WOW icon_eek.gif Thanks for the reply. I had no clue about these copyright laws. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle (don't ask me what the other half is) icon_lol.gif

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #44 of 52

lol yes the laws have gotten more strict on these things in the past you used to have to obtain copyright for these kinds of things now it is just assumed that the author/creator/photographer whether professional or just hobby has copyright of that and anyone who wants to reproduce that must get permission first.

http://www.pdimages.com/law/10.htm

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:06am
post #45 of 52

I am not the copyright police, but I can answer your question. Yes, making an edible image of anything which has a copyright, is illegal, which includes printed invitations.

If someone wants a football team logo, it is illegal to do an edible image of that. If however, they have a photo of the person who is having a birthday, and that person is wearing a shirt with the team logo on it, you can do an edible image of that. I think the reason being, the royalties were paid when the shirt was purchased and you will be using the photo only the one time and for that person.

nickshalfpint Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:14am
post #46 of 52

I guess I never really thought about it. I'm glad I don't make that many character cakes. I think I read on here that if you don't charge for your cakes you can use the copyright image. Is that true? Because I usually don't charge, if anything I have them buy the supplies and that's it.

nickshalfpint Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:19am
post #47 of 52

BCJean.... Where in Cali are you from?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #48 of 52
Quote:

If it's a copyrighted image yes it is. You can find premade edible images for purchase in certain characters and it would be okay to use those.

Regarding selling characters vs. not:

Yes MOST people who do it won't get caught. However the fines, etc that would come with being caught are large enough that people should be aware of the possible problems that could arise. There are people who do get caught, even little home bakers in tiny towns, it just takes one person calling to tell on you or the wrong person seeing your website for you to get sued. Telling someone to just do it because they won't get caught isn't sound advice.

I don't normally sell but I would never consider doing a character cake for sale.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #49 of 52

Orange Juice

nickshalfpint Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:20pm
post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Orange Juice

Did I miss something?

This may be a dumb question.........But what does WFHC2 stand for? Does it have something to do with cake or hockey?

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 2:43pm
post #51 of 52
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

Orange Juice

Did I miss something?

This may be a dumb question.........But what does WFHC2 stand for? Does it have something to do with cake or hockey?

Orange Juice means stop....change the subject.....move on.....

She was orange juicing the "immature comment"

WFHC2 has something to do with cakes.......and we'll leave it at that.... icon_lol.gif

Unless someone else wants to answer that......

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:08pm
post #52 of 52

back to original question....

what if you made each child their own track done up cute and then they could have one of the cars on top to take home. much easier for you and they would be so cute. and to be honest i think the kids would rather have a toy.

just a thought =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%