3D Face Sculpted Into Icing On A Cake

Decorating By kate_c Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 2:48am by sweetcakes

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 2

My mum and I attended the stitches and craft show here in sydney where they had some amazing cakes on display. I would like to do a design similar to one I saw there, but dont know how to do it, and can't find any pictures similar to what was on display, so I am going to try my best to describe it, and if anyone knows what I am talking about and knows how to do it, could you please give some tips?!!! Ta!!

Ok, well it was a heart shaped cake (valentine theme) and was covered in a seamless white fondant. However, half a face (large) was popping up out of the cake, almost as if half a face was under the fondant. (I am not doing a very good job of describing it! Sorry!) Does anyone know how to achieve this look without actually placing an object (like a mask) under the fondant? Mum really liked the cake, and I would like to try something similar for her birthday in November...

1 reply
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 2

my guess is that the face is formed first using fondant shapes and a little carving in the cake surface itself, then covered in fondant and use your fingers to form it to shape you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%