I Am So P***ed Right Now I Have To Vent!!

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm by MissRobin

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #31 of 63

That is amazing! That she came back to you with the price she found to replace it...seems to me that if it were someone who does cakes for her all the time that she wouldn't have had to find her...she would already know where she was. and another thing...this other person who "has always done her cakes" ...I can't imagine how the MOB became so skilled with her own elaborate cakes(forgive me if I don't quote exactly...it's on page 1) if the person "she found" "has always done her cakes"....hmmmmph, yeah right.

I would love to see someone produce a cake that has more finish and attention to detail than your's at $1.50 a serving. Even more than that, I would love to see that cake. I'm sure there are many cake bakers/decorators out there that do it for that price and cheaper and with wonderful skills too. I just don't think there's too many of them that are in business or remain in business very long.

I can't wait to see the groom's cake!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:57pm
post #32 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

..and in a very catty way letting me know that she had done elaborate cakes before and in fact made her own.....

She had made her own cake ..... elaborate cakes .... detail ......

With a child getting married, my math says she got married at LEAST 20 years ago .... uh, in the 80's? When fountains and stairs and overpiping and lots of BC flowers were the 'in' thing? And today, the 'in' look is quite the opposite .... plain iced, simple scrolls, a ribbon around the base.

I think she's comparing style to talent. She's a has-been who doesn't do cakes anymore. But she's one of those that since she's made "a cake or two" 20 years ago, then that makes her an expert forever more. And she thinks the overblown look of the 80's is "detail".

She's an idiot. A a mom-zilla deluxe.

(people ask me all the time for my bridezilla stories. I tell them I really don't have bride-zillas ..... I have more MOMzillas!!)

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:23am
post #33 of 63

Sweetie, I have seen your cakes and she doesn't know what she is talking about. Your cakes are gorgeous and very detailed. She has a lot of nerve. Blow it off, it's not worth expending the energy on. She's got a case of sour grapes. If she's that darn good at cakes, why isn't she making her kid's cake?

It reminds me of when my cousin got married and her mother-in-law-to-be made the cake. You would have thought that she walked on water bragging through the whole wedding about it. I was there and saw the cake. Suffice to say, I was embarrassed for my cousin. I wasn't making cakes at the time, or had classes back then, but I could have done a better job, BLINDFOLDED.

You have an amazing talent. Don't let some mean spirited witch make you doubt yourself.

Best,
Karen

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:25am
post #34 of 63

sounds like she was po'd that she lost her chance at having a cake she could show off to everyone which is why she lashed out on you.. good riddance. if you want to go to the wedding still thats your choice.. i'd just send a gift and enjoy the night myself but depends how close you are to your family too... i agree,, your cakes are devine!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #35 of 63

All I can say is this: I can't WAIT to see the groom's cake!

Beth in KY

PS Your cakes ROCK!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

I forgot to add, and this is the kicker, I am invited to the wedding, in fact, my cousin the mother of the groom had asked me, even after I told them I wouldn't do the wedding cake to make the grooms cake, so I intend on doing that for her son, and it is going to be the best d***n cake you have ever seen! LOL!

Gloves on baby........OMG I can't wait to see this Groom's cake icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif This baby will definitely outshine the MOB's $1.50 a serving Wedding Cake!

Robin, I'm sorry this idiot woman ruined your day.....all of your cakes are expertly done, try to forget her rude comments. I know it's easier said than done.

I hope on the Wedding day the MOB breaks a nail, gets a huge red wine stain on her dress, and gets heartburn from the Wedding cake icon_evil.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #37 of 63

I have found in my experiences in life that when people have to resort to making snoting comments like that they are just jealous.

I think she just wants a cheap or free cake.

SandyLemke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyLemke Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:41am
post #38 of 63

they wanted free cake.

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #39 of 63

her loss, your work is fab!

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:00am
post #40 of 63

Something tells me she will be coming back to you for the cake. What will you tell her?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:05am
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

Something tells me she will be coming back to you for the cake. What will you tell her?

How about:

NO CAKE FOR YOU!!!!!

Beth in KY

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:15am
post #42 of 63

yep,, ain't that for sure, they wanted free cake!! I just looked at your pics..my ???? "what flaws??""... they are very pretty!!
I agree with the others,, if the MOB has done cakes, then let the MOB knock herself out making the cake for the bride........
She probably did cakes way back in the 60's, where it was all done in a laid back, slow mo, type way.....and doesn't realize this is the space age now where we do have great attention to detail, tastes, etc....
And yes we do stress, worry, cry, throw things when the icing doesn't want to work or melt or the cake crumbles, etc.......and yes it is hard to collect your monies when you've worked so hard in making a beautiful piece for the brides big day.........

Sorry,, I get carried away at these knuckleheads who always feel they are "entitled" to "free cake"......... icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #43 of 63

First of all, your cakes are amazing! You can come do my baby shower cake! Second, familys can be a pain, my family seriously feels I should make them cakes for free because we are family. You did the right thing and should be proud for doing it! You go!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:25am
post #44 of 63

She's just mad b/c you rejected them. You are better off not having to deal w/ them, I am sure. Just let it roll off your back, and don't worry about them. You know that your attention to detail is there.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #45 of 63

OK, so after reading your initial post I went and looked at your cakes. Since I hadn't seen any of your cakes I didn't know your work and thought, hey maybe she DOES need to pay attention to detail. I like to make sure I know what I'm dealing with before I start yammering on about something.

However...after seeing your photos, my only conclusion is that the MOB is not only INSANE, but she sounds like a bee-atch!! Your cakes are lovely and you're FAR from a beginner! I don't know why people have to be so ugly. She could have simply stopped at "thanks for your time" but she had to get nasty.

Be proud of what you do - you're a talented decorator!

OH - and at the next family reunion I'd have a big juicy pie ready for the MOB. A nice dark blueberry so the stains linger on her face for a couple days. Maybe then she'll learn to be nice and keep her negativity to herself.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #46 of 63

Your cakes speak for themselves!!! They are gorgeous ~ and judging by the amount of "favorites" you have under your photos, a lot of people would agree. (I'm not going to say anything about the people you are dealing with because it sounds like they are relatives of your's, no? )

Our wedding cake served 60 and was $500.00 (and that was 10 yrs ago). It was done at a time when fondant was so rare around here, that it had to be delivered from Suncook, NH to Maine. (delivered for free, if you can believe that!!! icon_eek.gif )
Point of my boring story... I do not think you overcharge at all.

teenteen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenteen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:59am
post #47 of 63

Cheap A$$es! I hope that they enjoy the cornbread that they are going to get for $1.50/serving!! icon_mad.gif

This is the kind of foolishness that gets my goat! I tell folks who ask the general "How much do you charge for wedding cakes?" question that pricing STARTS at $3/serving for BC. (Food and gas are simply too high now.) The one's that balk at that, I refer to Publix. (I work there, too! tee-hee) icon_razz.gif

Babe, if you have sold 2 or 200 cakes a year, you are in the business of selling cake. Get yourself a contract to protect yourself from these nut jobs out here.

Happy baking.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:27am
post #48 of 63

I had a similar experience, with DH's cousin's daughter, only I
DID make the cake, at a good price, did my best job, and then they complained about the cake to try to get out of paying me....

I wrote a post several months ago venting about that situation... I don't really have anything new to add that hasn't already been said, but I feel for you and I would be 'peeved' too!!! Sounds like she was just trying to be catty...if she could really do it better than you, why was she trying to find someone else to make the cake anyway?? she should be making it herself

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #49 of 63

What I want to know is how come the idiot MOB never noticed all these disrepancies BEFORE pricing came up. She's just upset because she was hoping to get away with a beautiful cake for next to nothing and didn't.

EdibleAttitudes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleAttitudes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:34am
post #50 of 63

Something like this happened to me with my sister in law. She asked me to make a cake for HER mother in law and it was for 100 people and her 50th birthday. Mind you I dont really know her mother in law that well but I was invited to the birthday, which was in July in my sister in laws back yard in the Hamptons. Ok, so I agree to make the cake and I tell me sister in law just to pay for the supplies. I asked her for $40 and she actually told me that I should make it, seeming it was FAMILY. Yeah but not mine and I told her to go to carvel!

I have now learned my leason to NEVER do business with family or close friends unless $$ is talked about right off the bat.

I totally understand your position and HER LOSE...

thumbs_up.gif

EdibleAttitudes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdibleAttitudes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:35am
post #51 of 63

Something like this happened to me with my sister in law. She asked me to make a cake for HER mother in law and it was for 100 people and her 50th birthday. Mind you I dont really know her mother in law that well but I was invited to the birthday, which was in July in my sister in laws back yard in the Hamptons. Ok, so I agree to make the cake and I tell me sister in law just to pay for the supplies. I asked her for $40 and she actually told me that I should make it, seeming it was FAMILY. Yeah but not mine and I told her to go to carvel!

I have now learned my leason to NEVER do business with family or close friends unless $$ is talked about right off the bat.

I totally understand your position and HER LOSE...

thumbs_up.gif

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #52 of 63

What she said wasn't about your work. It was about her being miffed. Don't take it personally.

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #53 of 63

What she said wasn't about your work. It was about her being miffed. Don't take it personally.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #54 of 63

after reading post I went to your gallery.Your cakes are wonderful and it appears you DO pay attition to details. I know location is everything but here in central Florida even Publix would charge about $450.00 PLUS gumpaste work for a cake that size.We(my wife ,the decorator in the family,I JUST carry the cakes) LOL, will sometimes give a cake as a gift .But we always give the bride the full price for doing her cake while it is in the design stage(keeps her wants within our budget).I agree with most ,that you are better off without having to deal with MOB. Just knock their socks off with the grooms cake.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:04am
post #55 of 63

Your cakes are beautiful and you are very talented.

This woman is clearly not worth the oxygen she consumes from the planet.

I hope everyone's support has cheered you up thumbs_up.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #56 of 63

Thanks again you guys for all of your support and kind words, you crack me up with your comments. I have had a night to sleep on it and I realize she is just one ugly B***h!! My cousin, who is the mother of the groom was very upset after I forwarded the email to her, she said she has been dealing with this crazy B***h from day one and was so sorry for her comments. I told her it was ok some people just have to be mean. Anyway, The grooms cake she wants is a tuxedo cake nothing real elaborate and I have done one before, but I guarantee it will be the best one I ever do and will taste like heaven! Ha! I may have to accidentally trip and spill my wine on her at the reception! Ha!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #57 of 63

Hey gal....if they come grovelling back, make that $350 cake a $700 cake at this late date! icon_lol.gif

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:16pm
post #58 of 63

i'm glad that you aren't holding it against your cousin and her son. i feel bad that they have had so much problems with her. i say you put it all behind you and go enjoy the wedding. i'd be curious to see what the wedding cake looks like now. make sure you post pics =)

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #59 of 63

You are no obligated to be nice to her.. No need to be nice to people who are not nice to you..

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:28pm
post #60 of 63

My first thought was that she took your well wishing email as being rude (even though you meant no harm). Even if she did, she should have just left it alone. Her comments are uncalled for and beyond rude. I was wondering what your cousin thought about her rude comments and if she knew what kind of family his son was marrying into. Poor guy. Hopefully this will be the last time you have to see this woman.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%