Fondant Shapes On Wires

Decorating By kaytiebugs Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm by cakebaker1957

kaytiebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytiebugs Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 7

~newbie alert~!!

I'm getting ideas for my daughters birthday cake. I've been practicing and I feel like I'm capable of doing it. I'll be using MM fondant (hopefully that isn't considered taboo around here....). I've got my basic design down, but I was browsing the gallery looking for ideas for something to go on top (it's a 2 tier cake). I really love the little wires that have shapes stuck on them.

1) What exactly are the wires? Floral wire? Or are they something intended for cakes?

2) Where can I find those little star shape cutters? I've seen some but they're all larger than what I've seen in the kids birthday cake section of the gallery.

3) To put the shapes on the wire, all I do is stick the wire into the shape, right? Anything else I should know?

Thanks for the help!!!

6 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 7

Hi - Welcome.

It is floral wire and you will want to put a hook on the end of the wire (curl over on end with wire pliers) so that the stars won't swirl around.

You can find different sized cutters at craft stores in the cake aisle or sometimes in the clay aisle, sometimes TJMaxx/Homegoods has cool cutters in bakeware section, they are sold online too, try Globalsugarart.com or intotheoven.com there are many others online just google cookie cutter.

Good luck with your daughters cake!

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 7

1) Yes, floral wire works in a thick guage... I use wire found in the hardware department at Walmart that is used for hanging picture frames, this way you are not limited on length
2)I get my shapes at Michael's (craft store) in the cake decorating section.. Walmart has some in their cake decorating section too. If you have time there are limitless supplies online.
3)To put my shapes on, I fish hook the end of the wire and always cut out double the shapes that I need. I then wet down one side of the shapes and stick it to the other same shape with the wire inbetween them. (like a sandwhich,lol) If I do balls, I make the balls and send the wire through and then fish hook it and pull it back down into the fondant.

Hopefully this makes sense... I have some pictures in my gallery of cakes that have what I am talking about, that might help you see what I mean.

If MM Fondant is taboo on here, then I'm in the same boat as you... I ALWAYS use it!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 7

I use plain floral wire (I occasionally use the wrapped kind if it goes better with my design). For small things I just use straight up fondant and slide with wire straight in. For larger items I night add in CMC/tylose powder to stiffen it up a bit.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 7

Kaytiebugs,

Would you mind if I high-jacked your thread and asked a few more questions? I've been reading so mahy threads how to do this I think I'm making myself more confused. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Several people have said that they use straws or coffee stirrers to put the wire into the cake. So you just put the straw into the cake, then the wire into the center of that?

You fishhook the shapes to make sure they don't twirl around, but what about the wire in the cake? Does that twirl?

When you put the straws in the cake, doesn't that make big holes?

I also need to make the wire spray topper. I've read that I can push them down into a hollow pillar. What else do I need to know about that?

Again Kaytiebugs, thanks for starting this thread. I just can't picture a smooth cake after I punch a bunch of holes for the wires into it. thumbsdown.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 7

I don't use straws or hook my wires, and have never had problems with the items spinning, etc. I stick them right into the cake and they stay put nicely.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 7

Hi Marccrand, i use the straws and coffee stiries so that the wires arent touching the cake for food saftey, you can always add more icing ontop of the holes but you really dont notice them, ive done several with stars and balls on the wires i usually set them on last when i deliver the cake, Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%