How To... Extend A Red Velvet Box Mix?????

Decorating By NolansMom Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm by jjkarm

NolansMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NolansMom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 6

I am short on my red velvet box mixes and they are not redily available to me, what can I use to extend the one box mix???

5 replies
jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 6

I've used one red velvet cake mix combined with one German chocolate cake mix. Then I added a little more red coloring to keep that deep red color. I think it even tasted better with the added chocolate flavor. thumbs_up.gif

NolansMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NolansMom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 6

What sort of red colour did you use?? wilton gel or the grocery store liquid stuff??

jjkarm Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 6

I added some Wilton no taste red. I can't remember how much....I think I just eyeballed it. It worked very well, and I didn't have to worry about it adding an odd taste to the cake. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 6

If you haven't already baked .... why not use my WASC cake recipe?
It's perfect for any cake flavor and give you the same amount as if you used 1 & 1/2 boxes of mix.
The other thing..... you don't need to add extra color when you mix it w/a choco cake....there is *FAR MORE* than enough red coloring in those mixes already!

jjkarm Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 6

I guess I should clarify.....I used a doctored cake mix recipe when I combined the 2 mixes. A doctored recipe makes the cake texture much better and it will also extent the batter a bit. There probably is enough red coloring in the mixes like kakeladi said, but my bride really stressed that she wanted the color to be red. Therefore, I added extra coloring just to make sure she was happy. WASC will also work very well. Lucky you....you have lots of choices! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%