Mark Of A 'true' Decorator...

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm by mixinvixen

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 10

I think ideas are going to vary on this but I wanted to see what everyone would say. When I first started this insanity I felt like a 'true' decorator (TD) the first time I got my frosting smooth on the cake. But that wasn't enough, I soon thought if I could make a rose that would make me a TD, and from there it just kind of flows. Once I got the rose it was on to swags, then strings, etc. Of course being on here only adds to it, you see people who feel that if their cakes don't rise then they're doing something wrong, others who feel if the cake do rise instead of baking up flat that something has gone wrong. Some feel rounded corners on the edge of a frosted cake are what is necessary while others strive for the crisp 'drum edge' look.
So-lol-before my post turns into a novel, what do you feel makes a TD? What are you still striving to perfect?

9 replies
barbcakeinstructor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbcakeinstructor Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 10

I think what makes a TD is someone who has the passion and the love of it. I will never stop striving for improvement and learning new techniques
Barb

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 10

A true decorator is someone who is constantly trying improve themselves and their cakes.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 10

To me.... a true cake decorator is someone who:
CAN do any theme someone requests.
CAN decorate a neat cake, even if the customer only wants a sheet cake.
CAN decorate a cake with only a parchment triangle, if need be.
CAN just know what colors compliment the cake.
CAN decorate what the customer wants, not what, "they",want.
CAN have fun doing what they are doing without worry of whether it is "perfect" or not.

As for what I am striving to perfect is, to come up with new ideas to please the modern crowd without sacrificing my desire to make a cake look like something good to eat.

The rest, to me are cake designers or cake crafters.

SeriousCakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:34am
post #5 of 10

lol-I love your answer BCJean!

I can't think of what I'm trying to perfect, well, actually yes....the Gerber daisy. I will be trying for the 5th time this weekend and I'm pretty sure I will succeed icon_lol.gif I'm still working on square cakes, sometimes they turn out perfect, other times I have a droopy corner. It doesn't bother me like it used to, I'm a perfectionist but I've come to realize none of my cakes will ever be completely 'flawless'. There will always be an imperfection somewhere but the thing is, I'm usually the only one who ever even knows it's there icon_wink.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 10

I agree with BCJean! A True Decorator is someone who isn't shy when it comes to a challenge and knows what it takes to get the customer the cake they want!

How can you tell a TD by sight?? Mulit-colored hands!!! Hahahaha! And we smell like sugar all the time!! icon_biggrin.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 10

i call myself a cake designer icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

i think i'll prefer that term, no matter how awesome my skills finally get, because the words themselves denote a higher level of skill. for example, what do you call the people at walmart whipping out the funky looking blue roses and misspelling words...you guessed it! A CAKE DECORATOR!! on the other hand, when i say i'm a cake designer, people envision the whole process, from start to finish. i take what's in my head from listening carefully to my client, translate that vision onto paper, and then into sugar.

i think a true artist is one who puts a smile on the face of their satisfied client/friend/family member.

my daughters words just this morning, actually...in response to me asking her what she thought her talents were..."I THINK YOUR TALENT IS YOUR HEART AND YOUR CAKES". i swear, i'm tearing up as i type this!! icon_cry.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 10

Your definition makes sense though mixinvixen, when people (family, friends of family) found out that I was into the caking they were very blase about it. 'Oh yeah, I was into that YEARS ago, I bought the pans and the tips, etc.' But then when they saw my PICTURES....whole new thing, like, 'Ah, you're doing something different' Ding! That was so sweet what your daughter said!! She understands, not many people do icon_biggrin.gif
RobzC8kz - icon_lol.gif I'm going to be trying to turn some navy blue candy clay black tonight, I'm guessing my hands will be very pretty purple-ish when I'm done!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

i call myself a cake designer icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

i think i'll prefer that term, no matter how awesome my skills finally get, because the words themselves denote a higher level of skill. for example, what do you call the people at walmart whipping out the funky looking blue roses and misspelling words...you guessed it! A CAKE DECORATOR!! on the other hand, when i say i'm a cake designer, people envision the whole process, from start to finish. i take what's in my head from listening carefully to my client, translate that vision onto paper, and then into sugar.

I LUV this!! What a great marketing strategy! (Snaps to attention!) Permission requested to blatently steal your idea!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 10

holy shite!! you mean i said something intelligent...i'm so proud! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%