Please...any Suggestions On A Reverse Cake????

Decorating By PollyMaggs Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 5:14am by PollyMaggs

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 19

I know this sounds crazy, but my son-in-law who has an incredible sweet tooth has requested a reverse cake....instead of 4 layers of 1 inch cake with 3 layers 1/4 icing...he wants 4 layers of 1/4 inch cake and 3 layers of 1 inch icing... I figure I can layer cake and icing, freeze then layer the same again then freeze etc.... But wont that just collapse once thawed or when he cuts it? HELP PLEASE He has never asked me for anything special just for him so I really want to be able to do this for him. Is there a better way to do this?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Polly

18 replies
PollyMaggs Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 19

Giving myself a BUMP here.....I know it is silly, but I really could use some suggestions

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 19

Since he is the one with the sweet tooth (it might choke everyone else) make him a smaller cake.

With a 6 inch, you can cut the layers very thin pipe a stiffened icing between the layers- piping with a large star tip will help pile the icing on.

It should work.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 19

I think your son and mine must be long lost brothers. (OK mine is only 4, but that is just a detail.) I like the idea of doing his small, as to not freak everyone else out.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 19

Wow. I have never heard of this! I guess you learn something new everyday...
Seems like if you let the icing set up and crust really well in between a few very thin layers of cake it will work.

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 19

Do you have the instruccions to do the reverse cake? Would you mind to post it or PM??? thank you! CbyA.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:58am
post #7 of 19

perhaps you could cut out a dip for the filling to sit in, leaving a ridge of cake all around the edge, and maybe even a small peice in the middle too to help support it will all the filling.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:15am
post #8 of 19

You could easily do this with the refrigerator. Do a layer of cake, then icing, smooth flat...then refrigerate....then add a thin layer of icing (as glue) and add the next cake layer...then the icing...and smooth...refrigerate...etc. That is just to stabilize each layer at a time so that you can get the entire cake straight and even without having it squoosh as you do the next layers. Then refrigerate...crumb coat...refrigerate...ice.

Should work great! Then can be left out at room temp for serving.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:16am
post #9 of 19

You could easily do this with the refrigerator. Do a layer of cake, then icing, smooth flat...then refrigerate....then add a thin layer of icing (as glue) and add the next cake layer...then the icing...and smooth...refrigerate...etc. That is just to stabilize each layer at a time so that you can get the entire cake straight and even without having it squoosh as you do the next layers. Then refrigerate...crumb coat...refrigerate...ice.

Should work great! Then can be left out at room temp for serving.

(And this cake would give me diarrhea for a week! LOL...)

Mommagaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommagaz Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #10 of 19

Wilton makes a bunt like pan that makes a bunt cake with a big square out of the middle that you could fill with iceing and also the middle hole and then ice the outside like you woluld a regular cake.

OriginalSugarChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OriginalSugarChef Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #11 of 19

I agree with the smaller cake for the birthday boy-- but no matter what size you do it, it should work. What kind of icing are you using? If it is buttercream, it should work, unless it has a tendency to run off the cakes in general. So here is how you build it.
1. Line a cake pan with plastic wrap and smooth it as well as you can. It will stick a little better if you moisten the pan with a sponge 1st.
2. Build your cake and filling in the pan until you have the right number of cake layers and filling.
3. Chill overnight in the fridge. The butter/ shortening/ fat in the icing will get extra firm.
4. Gently pull the overhanging edges of plastic wrap to get the cake out of the pan and turn onto a plate or board, then peel the plastic off.
5. Ice and decorate while cold. Chill until 1.5 to 2 hours before it is served. Then the cake and filling will still be cool enough to hold its shape, but not so hard that you have to chisel it to cut it. And it may squoosh a bit when you cut it, but it can't really be avoided with such a small amount of cake for structure, besides, it sound like he might just be happy with a bowl of icing anyway! At least it will look nice up until it is cut.
6. Good luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #12 of 19

Look up the instructions for a dobosh torte (sometimes spelled dobos), and just add thicker filling in between.

The dobosh torte has very thin layers of cake in it, about 1/4 inch thick.
Hickory Farms has one on their website, and Swiss Colony has a couple of them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PollyMaggs Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #13 of 19

I'm originally from New Orleans, Louisiana, here it is called Doberge Cake and I make them often, my prob. is that I need an inch of filling in between each layer of cake, and need it to hold together when cutting it instead of it collapsing, or having to eat it with a spoon...lol and I dont want to give it to him frozen. I think I will try to thicken up my icing and piping it as suggested by joannB and building it as the OriginalSugarChef
suggested. And yes it is only going to be a 6" cake just for him. God knows I wouldn't feed that to my grandkids, specially on a night I have to babysit them...lol And btw I have just made him a bowl of icing on birthdays past, but he asked for this so I'm gonna try.
Thanks everyone...I will let you know how it turns out.
Polly

PollyMaggs Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #14 of 19

Sorry I almost forgot my manners....Welcome to your new members,
OriginalSugarChef, Mommagaz, and CbyA. Before long you all will be addicts of CCC like the rest of us. It is really great here, its like a big family and everyone is very helpful and inspiring.
Welcome to you all,
Polly

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 19

WHAT! I'm already an addict!!!lol, Thank you PollyMaggs thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 19

You can literally cut smbc cleanly with a knife when it is cold. I'd spread some out in a pan, chill it and cut it and stack it like a cake layer and just keep layering it. wa la

PollyMaggs Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #17 of 19

Okay, here it is...I ended up doing 1/2 " layers of cake and 1" of icing. I had it all iced nice and smooth and chilled but it started melting on the way to thier house. Anyway he loved it and had it cut and was eating it within 3 minutes of me delivering it. It ended up being his dinner...ugh I would be sick...LOL
Thank you all for your help.
LL

PollyMaggs Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:41am
post #18 of 19

Sorry, the pic wouldnt post, here is the link if you would like to see it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1269396.html

PollyMaggs Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 5:14am
post #19 of 19

I tried to post the pic, it wouldnt post, then put up site addy, then it disappeared from my photos...maybe the 3rd time will be the charm.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1269466.html

this is too funny...now the pic is in the 1st post...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%