Make Black Fondant?

Decorating By jjandhope Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm by bellejoey

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 14

How would you make black fondant? Thought Id ask before I just make MMF and start pouring in the balck food coloring.

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 14

You'll need to buy powdered color for best results. For even better results, buy black fondant.

I don't make MMF, but those who do will chime in soon, I'm sure.

jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 14

Powdered color???

Does Michaels have that?

I was hoping to make my own MMF...or maybe theres a different recipe thats better for dark fondant??

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 14

I've done it two different ways, you can make chocolate fondant first and then turn it black or make sure you make it in the right order. After you melt the marshmallows and mix, then add the paste coloring, BEFORE you begin adding the powdered sugar. I'm not sure why this works best, but it does for all colors!
Good luck!

suzer2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzer2006 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 14

i make black fondant using wilton color paste. It takes a bit of color (compared to other tints) but is does work...

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 14

For black MMF, I start with chocolate MMF if I need a lot. For a tiny amount I just use regular MMF. I use gel colors.

jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

For black MMF, I start with chocolate MMF if I need a lot. For a tiny amount I just use regular MMF. I use gel colors.

Is that the same as paste? (newbie, here)
icon_redface.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 14

Yes, I think they are sometimes called gel paste. I use Americolor brand.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 14

powdered color is specifically made for candy work, as you can't use the liquid or gel colors in chocolate. However, you can use it in fondant and it won't change the texture. I'd doubt that Michael's would carry powdered color. But a cake and candy supplies store would.

jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

powdered color is specifically made for candy work, as you can't use the liquid or gel colors in chocolate. However, you can use it in fondant and it won't change the texture. I'd doubt that Michael's would carry powdered color. But a cake and candy supplies store would.

Thanks, I needed to know that for when I tint chocolate. I have tried using candy melts because I didnt know how to tint it, but they miss the mark!

Wish there was a cake supply store here...

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:14pm
post #11 of 14

I think you're brave to make it. Takes a lot of coloring, no matter how you do it (although the chocolate will be easier to color).

I buy the black Satin Ice, makes my life so much easier!

When mixing deep colors like that (red and black) sometimes it helps to let it develop overnight. Also use gloves if you can!

Good luck with that. If you don't need a lot, I'd go with buying black (even the ucky Wilton stuff) so save myself the time and effort, but if you need a lot and want it to taste good, going with MMF is good.

jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 14

I wanted to do black, and then add white dots. I might go with a chocolate instead and use pink dots just to make it easy on myself. hmmm

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 14

I always get a weird texture when I've tried adding tons of black food coloring. I tried adding cocoa powder and it didn't help the texture. What did help the best was adding a lot of cornstarch with the addition of PS.

I haven't yet tried a recipe that uses melted chocolate.

I have just bowed down from trying to make black and I buy it now. Satin Ice dries too hard, too fast, and too matte for my preference. I just tried Fondarific and I love it for covering a cake, but it's too soft for cutting out shapes more complex than a dot. My next trial will be Fondx, but I don't even know if it comes in black (?)

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 14

Oh, I am glad I looked at this post!! I have tried it all and I think I like Leahs powdered color idea the best. I am going to do that from now on...coloring black can be a major pain! lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%