? Re: Freshness Of Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By reneeferguson Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 2:40am by jjandhope

reneeferguson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneeferguson Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:51am
post #1 of 14

Hi, I'm new here (sorta)...been surfing through CC almost daily and just love all of the super creative ideas and wonderful people!

My question is....I have a cake 2 tiered cake due on saturday morning. If I ice the cake on put fondant on it on Tues or Wed, would it still be fresh by saturday?

Thank you and happy baking!

13 replies
jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:18am
post #2 of 14

I tend to cover wednesday for a saturday delivery. I also cover in a layer of ganache or buttercream first which seals in the freshness

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:39am
post #3 of 14

Fondant cakes can last anywhere form 3-5 days after you make them. My hairstylist waited 6 days with hers and she said it was fantastic. So you should be good. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:59am
post #4 of 14

I have wondered about that myself. Will it get dry or chewy? My xperience is that not many people like it in the first place. I want it to be at its best. This question has been on my mind....

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 14

MMF fondant tastes great and doesn't get to chewy. IMHO and my customers too.
Jen...

reneeferguson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneeferguson Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 14

Awesome! Thank you all so much for your help!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 14

This helps me too. I'll be doing a baby shower cake on a Thursday for a sat. Now I know!!

jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 14

Another question: I am going to make seom 6" cakes. I'd like to make them orange cake (with real madarin ornages) and fill them with cool whip/pudding/pineapple filling (yummmmmmm!). Then, I'd like to cover them with fondant. Problem is, they need to be refrigerated to keep all the cream and fruit fresh. Would you recommend refrigerating a fondant cake? Also, would you cover it or not and if so, how? Im about to start them...(they are for Sunday)

jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 14

Could anybody tell me whether refrigerating fondant cakes is recommended?

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 14

Hi,
The few cakes that I have done with fondant and Perishable fillings I have refrigerated. When I take them out of the fridge they form small amounts of condensation so I put a fan blowing on them to dry the condensation as fast as it forms. It has worked well for me but I think it depends on the kind of fondant you use because they all react differently. I use choco-pan.
HTH,
Polly

jjandhope Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 14

thanks polly, then Ill go ahead and run with the perishable filling i wanted and Ill refrigerate the cake fondant and all.

Thanks everyone...this will be my first attempt at really making something with it. Ive played with fondant before, but Im really gonna decorate now! WIsh me luck! WHOOOOEEEEEE!!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 14

after you refrigerate them, be careful not to touch the fondant while you're letting it dry so you don't get fingermarks.

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 14

I just posted a question similar to this. I had a cake earlier this week due and I was going to be out of town. I frosted with an all shortening based frosting so it would be okay left out. I frosted then chilled cake really well, then covered with MMF (more elastic in consistancy so I thought it would not dry out as bad). I boxed up and left on the counter with my AC at 65 tuesday night, all day wednesday,thursday, and friday, and saturday till 1:00 pm. The cake held up beautifully. I got rave reviews and many more orders!!! So hope this helps. P.S. Many people raved at how moist the cake was!

jjandhope Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #14 of 14

wow...that is just what I wanted to hear! By Sunday, I will have 12 little cakes sina row for my sunday school kids. I wanted to get started early since this is my first attempt...at everyhting.

I made my cakes Tuesday. I amde fondant today. I covered on cake today in some fondant I had made before. Tomorrow is the big day to see if I can do it! Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%