Mini Wedding Cakes As Gifts For Guests!?!?! Help!!!

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 2:53am by cous2010

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone,

So, I have a bride that wants a miniature wedding cake (2 tier) as her gift for her guests. I have never done mini cakes, so I have absolutely no idea how much work is involved and how to price them. She is looking for 125-150 mini cakes, 2 tier with a small fondant/gumpaste flower on each, plus wrapping and tagging (she is supplying the tags and ribbon).

Have any of you done this and how do you charge for these? I would imagine that it would be very time consuming and I don't want to shortchange myself.

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

17 replies
mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 18

hopefully this is a person who is pretty darn wealthy...she's gonna need to be! betcha she's thinking like $1/piece or something...

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 18

I had a VERY small wedding - so I went over the top with everything - including giving all of my guests a 2 tier replica of our wedding cake as one of the many favors.

they were $10 a piece = the were delicious and the cutest darn things I have ever seen - now that I know about cakes - i can imagine the were a total PITA!! I have seen them on other sites at 12 and 15 a piece

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 18

lots of work! charge charge charge! i can't say it enough. and be sure to charge for bagging and tagging, even if she's providing the stuff you have to do it and it will take you a lot of time.

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 18

Just making cupcakes takes a long time, now try frosting mini two-tiered cakes and getting them smooth while they are moving around your turntable. Ugh. Assuming you really want to do it..I would make a box cake mix batch worth (for practice) to see how long it takes you to make them, including attaching ribbon and tag time, then you'll really know what it involves. You are making 150 cakes..same thing 150 times..that's a heck of a lot of work. I would think at least $12 each, not because of supplies but because of the time it will take you.

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 18

Having done this before (years ago, but still!) - I did over 100 of them. I used poured fondant, etc. Problem is - I DID NOT charge enuf!!! I think AT LEAST $10 each, if not a little more. What these brides don't understand it that you are doing a wedding cake x100 plus and that DOES take time.
Good luck!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 18

I did these once. Did you notice I said once......that was enough. My niece married about 6 yrs. ago and this was what she wanted for her guests. She boxed them so I didn't even have to do that part.

I made 100 of them. The baking was the easy part. I had the "mini-wedding cake" cupcake style pans. I started 3 weeks ahead and froze them. The decorating was the PITA part. They were so small they moved around constantly. I had a really hard time icing them with reg. BC and a spatula so I ended up doing a poured icing, kind of like doing petit-fours and this was easier and did give a better look.

I swore than that I probably wouldn't do those again unless my own daughter wanted them some day. Honestly I wouldn't even know what I would charge if somebody inquired. Probably a lot just so they wouldn't order icon_wink.gif I would say do a trial run to see if this is something that you really want to do and at least $12 each with the fondant flower and boxing time. Good Luck!

P.S. This project took me longer than any wedding cake I've done, I'm not trying to scare you, I just want you to know that they are very time consuming. Good luck.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 18

Total PITA!! Charge at least $12-$15 each depending on the decor. I found that putting fondant on a mini cake is easier than buttercream. Keep in mind that you will be placing a small gp flower on each. That in itself will take a long time. I would be sure to pick a simple, quick flower, such as a daisy. Obviously, you won't be able to complete these in one day, so make sure you have a plan for storage.
Chances are, when you tell her the price, she will change her mind unless she has that much $. You may convince her to go with cupcakes instead. Whatever you do, do not budge on your price b/c you'll regret it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 18

I bake off a short little sheet cake cake the same height that I want my tiers to be, freeze it, then use graduated cookie cutters to cut out the cakes. I would never ever ever do an order like this in individual pans. I would go crazy. Maybe you were already gonna do it that way but I just wanted to mention this.

$15 to $20 each depending on the pia factor like how much decor.

Btw- a cake buddy somewhere said she ices the cakes smooth with her hand/fingers. Just a few mini-cake thoughts for yah.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 18

I agree with the above post that the bride probably thinks she's going to spend like $1 each ..... tell her that Twinkies cost $1.49!

Keep the price in the $12-$20 range. DO NOT BUDGE!! These are so PITA you can't believe it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #11 of 18

Yeah, total PITA. Start at $15 each. Buy the flowers. don't forget to include the cost of the packaging and the time it will take to get those suckers into the packaging without messing them up. There's a bakery in CA that charges $35 each. (without packaging)

I've done these twice and I require them to be done in fondant because it's easier for me.

leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:16am
post #12 of 18

Yeah, total PITA. Start at $15 each. Buy the flowers. don't forget to include the cost of the packaging and the time it will take to get those suckers into the packaging without messing them up. There's a bakery in CA that charges $35 each. (without packaging)

I've done these twice and I require them to be done in fondant because it's easier for me.

leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:17am
post #13 of 18

post #14 of 18

post #15 of 18

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #16 of 18

Thank you so much for your information....I love that everyone on CC is so willing to share your experiences and advice. I will get back to her with some information and $$ and see what happens! Thanks again!

leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:32am
post #17 of 18

icon_redface.gif sorry about the multiple posts. Either CC or the computer were acting "funny" and I just kept smacking the submit key.

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #18 of 18

I'm getting married in April and for a split second after reading your post, I thought "hey...those might be cute at my wedding."

Then I read the responses. I couldn't possibly ask the woman doing my wedding cake to go through such pain icon_smile.gif

I hope she either changes her mind or you get your money's worth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%