Using Cream Instead Of Buttercream With Sugarpaste/fondent

Decorating By selbel2000 Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 9:23am by selbel2000

selbel2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selbel2000 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

Newbie question here, apologies if it's a bit basic.

I'm still learning the ropes with all this and I'm making a chocolate birthday cake this weekend. I want to do a tiffany style box cake with chocolate sponge and whipped cream as the filling. I've never worked with real cream before, I've always used buttercream. I was wondering if there would be any foreseeable problems with using whipped cream as a cake filling, and if it would be appropriate to put a thin layer between the cake and the sugarpaste to help adhear the icing...??

If it's not a good idea I'll stick to buttercream but I wanted to try something a bit different...

Looking to you wonderful experts for some advice!

Sel.

P.S. Sorry if some of my terminology isn't US friendly, I'm in the UK and still learning my definitions!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 4

Your tereminology is just fineicon_smile.gif
The only problem I forsee is the whipped cream filling &/or icing use means the cake has to be refrigerated. I don't kn ow how warm/cold it is there but maybe you have an unheated room where you could store the cake? Some people object to the shine you might get from putting a fondant covered cake in the frig.

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 4

I will tell you from experience that using whipped cream under fondant sucks, haha..it is really hard to get the fondant smooth. hth and good luck icon_smile.gif

selbel2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selbel2000 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:23am
post #4 of 4

Thanks both for the advice! I think I'll have a look on here for a new/different buttercream recipe instead. I

'm also making this cake this weekend http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6417/orange-berry-wedding-cake which is very ambitious for me!! It uses a creamy custard as it's filling which I'm going to switch to whipped cream but I will make sure it's kept chilled - thanks for the tip, I hadn't taken that into consideration!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%