Cake Pet Peeves

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 4:01am by nickshalfpint

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:39am
post #91 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmisscantbewrg

I hate it when one tip gets stuck inside another and I've looked for it for 30 mins and I finally find it IN one I've looked at 100 times!

Or when a #2 tip gets stuck inside a #22 tip and you don't see it and are squeezing with all your might to get the icing to come out that #22 tip. I usually do one whole side of the border before I decide something must be plugging that tip.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #92 of 170

I hate worrying IF & WHEN I have a DISASTER!! The biggest disasters seem to be in my baking! I hate the baking part of caking!! I have been fighting all week with my baking. Trying to figure out reasons why the cake is baking wrong. I know why cakes do certain things but finding the exact reason if & when the cakes turn out wrong is a pain in the butt! I still haven't figured any of it out! It's very frustrating! I love fondant, I love gumpaste, I love BCI. I just HATE baking!!!!!! Anyone live close by that likes to bake?? icon_smile.gif

No direct hit to anyone (please don't take it wrong) but I don't like
cake boards covered in tinfoil. It's ok for your class cakes but a beautiful cake that you've spent so much time that is for a wedding, bday, shower etc shouldn't be covered in tinfoil. It's not very pretty. JMHO please don't anyone take that as a personal hit. Just think about it. It's not pretty. icon_sad.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:03am
post #93 of 170

OK, my biggest pet peeve is when I am baking and someone is talking to me as I am trying to count out cups of what ever!. Normally, I can multitask, but I guess I am a little OCD about my measurements and hate that! It also doesn't help that I work out of a rented kitchen and the only person that is normally there with me at the same time is an older Korean gentleman with a really bad accent, so you really have to concentrate to understand him to begin with. O well. Besides that it's the standard ones, cleaning up, mixing color etc.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:06am
post #94 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I also hate buying cute cupcake papers only to find out that once you bake in them, you can't tell what the heck the design is!
!

Yeah, I can never figure out what is with cute cupcake papers.....

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:07am
post #95 of 170

My biggest pet peeve is myself. I am the worlds worst procrastinator. I never have trouble coming up with ideas for cakes, there is always a new technique or tool that I can use. I am a compulsive cake toy buyer so have tons of tools I have not even tried yet. All because I wait until the last minute to start a cake and as a result never have time to take the cake to where I had imagined it.

I also get fiercely grumpy when I am in mid cake flow, so have to grovel and apologize to my husband and kids after I am done. My family now know to avoid me when I have that "cake" look.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:06pm
post #96 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I've been at this for 20 plus years and I can honestly say I've learned more in this past month on CC than in any of the classes I've taken in the past.

Were we separated at birth? I say the same thing .. 25 years doing cakes and I"ve learned more on here in 2 years than I have my entire lifetime on my own.

Sometimes I chuckle at the questions .... but only because I recognize them as questions I asked when I first joined, too! icon_redface.gif We get new members everyday.

indydebi.....I would be honored to learn that we may have been separated at birth icon_smile.gif You can be my twin any day of the week!

Deb_ Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:20pm
post #97 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cous2010

Just a side note. I'm new to this forum and to cake decorating. While I do try to do my own research when I have a question, I thought I could come to CC with my tough questions. Judging from some of the previous comments, it seems like that might not be a good idea.
It's too bad my first cakes didn't come out picture perfect like it seems some other people's have...

Courtney don't let the few cake snobs on here stop you from asking questions. Yes there are a few and we all know who they are after reading this. There are no dumb questions.....most of the ones I read are very helpful to me too.....I'm always willing to help where I can, but I'm always learning something new on here too.

None of our cakes were perfect when we first started, Hell some of mine still aren't icon_redface.gif

If people don't want to read our "dumb" questions, than don't read them icon_mad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:36pm
post #98 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

....or when I cut the triangle just a wee bit too far, and the couple pops out!!! UGGGGGH!

Oh I REALLY hate that, too!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #99 of 170

This is a wonderful thread! I can totally relate to most of the pet peeves you've all mentioned.

I hate when my cake is baking perfectly then all of a sudden develops a big crack..arghhh

It drives me batty how many times i have cut a piping bag too far to accomodate the coupler. I have sooo many bags that the coupler just falls out of. I try to make it stay in by putting the coupler overtop of some of the bag..works for awhile and then..the dreaded leaking of buttercream out the side of the coupler. I generally notice this as it's spilling onto my cake. argh..

I hate when i go to put ribbon around a cake board and realize as i'm approaching the final turn i don't have enough ribbon..argh (I know i should've measured first)

Mixing not enough of a color..or..too much

Writing out a message on a cake only to find afterwards you have left the H out of birthday.

YES>>.the dreaded blow out...always at the front of the cake.;0(

Its funny i know there is more but my mind is drawing a blank...ask me again on Saturday (my next cake is due)...i'm sure i'll remember then.

Oh and too the newbies..you can ask me anything! I still have a lot to learn but am willing to help anyway i can. Honestly i am self taught and have learned everything i know from forums like this and the wonderful people within them. I really do owe it all to them. So never feel afraid to approach me. I encourage you to post your cakes too...just because you are new at this doesnt' make you any less proud of your work.

suzanne

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #100 of 170
Quote:

Quote:

Just a side note. I'm new to this forum and to cake decorating. While I do try to do my own research when I have a question, I thought I could come to CC with my tough questions. Judging from some of the previous comments, it seems like that might not be a good idea.
It's too bad my first cakes didn't come out picture perfect like it seems some other people's have...

Courtney don't let the few cake snobs on here stop you from asking questions. Yes there are a few and we all know who they are after reading this. There are no dumb questions.....most of the ones I read are very helpful to me too.....I'm always willing to help where I can, but I'm always learning something new on here too.

None of our cakes were perfect when we first started, Hell some of mine still aren't icon_redface.gif

If people don't want to read our "dumb" questions, than don't read them icon_mad.gif

I've read this thread twice and I don't see any snobbery. I think we have to offer the benefit of the doubt when invited to discuss personal pet peeves.

I mean the pet peeve is personal to the pet peever but the next person shouldn't take it personal as if they were the pet pevee. Don't you think?

icon_biggrin.gif

teenteen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenteen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #101 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

This is a good thread! thumbs_up.gif

I hate loading icing bags AND more over disassembling and cleaning icing bags.

This is crazy of me, probably but I can't stand when I meet people that don't like/eat cake!!!! What the??? What are they? ALIENS? icon_lol.gif Sorry, I know we can't all like everything, but NOT like cake? It's just wrong! icon_razz.gif

HOLY COW!! You hit the nail on the head!!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #102 of 170

I was always taugth that the only dumb question is the one that is not asked. How can we learn without asking? (I quit a job cause everytime I asked a question, I got eye-rolling, and every time I made a mistake, they wanted to know why I didn't ask. Huh???)

I also hate when cc is down, especially when I'm in the middle of baking and I have a question, or when I'm trying to think of an idea or want to look at something in my fav's....

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #103 of 170

My biggest pet peeves come from me having blonde moments! Like putting the parchment paper and the cake release in the pan, remembering flower nails if needed, filling the pan perfectly only to look over and see my bake-strips still sitting in their bowl of water! icon_cry.gif
Or when I get frustrated trying to smooth my buttercream covered cake (which happens more often than I'd like to admit icon_lol.gif ) I just take the cake board, and toss the whole cake into the freezer, and slam the door. My hubby comes into the kitchen to see the look on my face and he asks "you not speaking to your cake again?" It usually makes me laugh and it helps. icon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #104 of 170

I agree with the others that my cakes never turn out as wonderful as the design in my head.

I also take to long to get started and then I have to rush through the decorating instead of taking my time and enjoying the process.

I also have a huge issue with colour...I want to see a traditional Thanksgiving themed cake iced in oranges, yellows and browns not florescent pink and purple or a Halloween cake done in red and green.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #105 of 170
Quote:

I think my biggest pet peeve is when I have this great idea for a cake and it turns out nothing near what I had in mind. I also hate feeling rushed icon_smile.gif

I have only been decorating a few short years and still ask lots of questions. Most of the decorators here are more than happy to answer so please don't let a few sour grapes turn you away from asking questions no matter how big or small. Someone will always answer even if it takes a day or so.

Donnagardner Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #106 of 170
Quote:

I think my biggest pet peeve is when I have this great idea for a cake and it turns out nothing near what I had in mind. I also hate feeling rushed icon_smile.gif

I have only been decorating a few short years and still ask lots of questions. Most of the decorators here are more than happy to answer so please don't let a few sour grapes turn you away from asking questions no matter how big or small. Someone will always answer even if it takes a day or so.

Donnagardner Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #107 of 170
Quote:

I have only been decorating a few years and try to answer when I think I can help. Never be intimidated about asking a question here. Don't let a few sour grapes keep you from learning from the grat talent here. Someone will always answer even if it takes a day or so.

just_for_fun Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:20pm
post #108 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by abslu

"you not speaking to your cake again?"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:37pm
post #109 of 170

My pet peeve has got to be using tappits for lettering (basically coz i'm a dumb newbie who can't pipe tapedshut.gif ) I hate the way they get stuck or twist out of shape when you finally manage to release them. This is only made worse if it is black fondant going on top of white coz it always leaves marks and looks horrid by the time you have positioned and stuck them down icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

As for the undercurrent on this thread (not the OP intention) I too have learned so much from the true professionals on here and by that i mean the decorators who have used techniques etc. and are willing to share their experience, good or bad, regardless of how long they have been decorating, how many wedding cakes they make in one week or how good they pride themselves on being or think they are! When i joined here i at no time saw any notice saying ' if your cake is not perfect enough then don't post photos in case they offend members who were born gifted decorators, who never make mistakes nor ever had to practice.' I believe the majority of people who post their photos do so with pride knowing they are better than some other photos but also not anywhere near to being as good as others but they want to share their joy in their own efforts and celebrate the fact that this cake was a little better/straighter/fancier than their last attempt. Also the members who are willing to offer advice - no matter how simple (it's only simple if you know the answer/technique) do so because of their love of decorating and enjoyment of sharing the love of their hobby with likeminded members - which as far as i was aware is the whole point of this site - no? For those members who are offended by inferior cakes or stupid questions - why exactly do you come on here? To showcase how great you are?

My cakes are nowhere near perfect and i usually have some offending object in the background ( usually coz i'm so excited that i've finished and have to take that photo NOW and not once i've cleaned up!) icon_rolleyes.gif I'm also a proud member of the pointy spots gang thumbs_up.gif usually coz i can't get the consistency of RI correct icon_cry.gif - while they cause offence to the perfect people tapedshut.gif they were part of the surprise cake that made my neighbour cry coz she could see the time, effort and sentiment that went into the cake and was touched that i had baked a cake for her. That is why i do cakes - coz i enjoy it and make them for special people who do not judge me or my efforts. Perhaps some members ought to consider why they do cakes and if they have lost that sparkle of excitement and enjoyment of trying something new or trying to improve then maybe they should try a different hobby/career.

This is a great site when it is allowed to be what it is supposed to be - a site to share ideas, friendship and on occasion disaster stories where support is readily available and advice offered because members have a love of decorating - it is such a pity that lately some members do their best to overshadow the freindship, support etc that the majority of members enjoy, learn from and appreciate. Such a shame that the minority spoil it for the majority.

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm
post #110 of 170

And this is why I normally lurk - because people are starving for drama and take things the wrong way or take it personally.
I think I'll stick to lurking.

just_for_fun Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #111 of 170

a side note on "inferior" cakes: even if it is not exactly a nice cake, someone can sometimes take the idea and improve on it. I love looking at perfect cakes, but when I'm looking for ideas, I don't care what the original cake looks like (I have to admit, mine usually looks alot worse than the original, I'm talking about ppl who are better than meicon_smile.gif)

Deb_ Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:49pm
post #112 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff

mmmm.... complaining
I hate when I'm looking at the lovely cake photos here on CC and I see in the comments that people rudely ask for "instructions". As if the decorators here have tons of free time to pen down all their steps and then email them to people. Maybe that's just me that feels this way.
And I just hate seeing pictures of sloppy cakes in general. Can people not tell their cake is sloppy? Or are they just choosing to ignore it and post a picture anyway? Why even bother to make a cake if you're not going to take your time and make something clean and nice? I realize sometimes things just happen that you seem to not be able to control, like bulging under fondant, but maybe those are the pictures you should leave out of your portfolio.
*shields face from flying snarkiness*

To k8memphis, you obviously missed this one, if this isn't an example of snobbery than you don't know the meaning. This above post was totally uncalled for and quite frankly hurtful to the many members who like myself, may not have been Blessed with the "perfection" gene.

This forum asked for members "cake pet peeves", not pet peeves about CC member's abilities. Everyone here is proud of their work and they shouldn't have to now be worried about posting a picture of their cakes because they may not be CC worthy for such members viewing.

"Why even bother to make a cake if you're not going to take your time and make something clean and nice?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Obviously, if they took the time to mix, bake, decorate and post a picture of the cake they are proud of it, even if it doesn't meet your high standards.

As far as answering questions, I will continue asking and I hope the rest of you will to. The majority of professionals on this site are more than happy to help along the way.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #113 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

a side note on "inferior" cakes: even if it is not exactly a nice cake, someone can sometimes take the idea and improve on it. I love looking at perfect cakes, but when I'm looking for ideas, I don't care what the original cake looks like (I have to admit, mine usually looks alot worse than the original, I'm talking about ppl who are better than meicon_smile.gif)

thats exactly why i have so many cakes saved to my favorites.. from top notch "expertise" level to beginner level.. sometimes its just a part of a cake design that inspires me; so i leave a comment and add it to my faves..

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #114 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

thats exactly why i have so many cakes saved to my favorites.. from top notch "expertise" level to beginner level.. sometimes its just a part of a cake design that inspires me; so i leave a comment and add it to my faves..

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #115 of 170

. . . "one" of my pet peeves is not getting a great photo of your creation . . . and having to make due with the one with all the clutter in the background/foreground . . . icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif . . . oh you had a plan to get that perfect pic . . . the road to H377 is paved with good intentions . . . icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #116 of 170
Quote:

And this is why I normally lurk - because people are starving for drama and take things the wrong way or take it personally.

Are you seriously saying that you weren't aiming to peeve a few people off with your remarks about "sloppy" cakes and asking too many questions? Really?

Really?

I get it that a lot gets lost in a text-only world, so please TuffStuff, clarify your meaning.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #117 of 170

I hate having greasy hands, bags, bowls, I hate handling these things and having to wash my hands every minute, and still have them feel greasy.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:27pm
post #118 of 170
Quote:

Quote:

mmmm.... complaining
I hate when I'm looking at the lovely cake photos here on CC and I see in the comments that people rudely ask for "instructions". As if the decorators here have tons of free time to pen down all their steps and then email them to people. Maybe that's just me that feels this way.
And I just hate seeing pictures of sloppy cakes in general. Can people not tell their cake is sloppy? Or are they just choosing to ignore it and post a picture anyway? Why even bother to make a cake if you're not going to take your time and make something clean and nice? I realize sometimes things just happen that you seem to not be able to control, like bulging under fondant, but maybe those are the pictures you should leave out of your portfolio.
*shields face from flying snarkiness*

To k8memphis, you obviously missed this one, if this isn't an example of snobbery than you don't know the meaning. This above post was totally uncalled for and quite frankly hurtful to the many members who like myself, may not have been Blessed with the "perfection" gene.

Yeah whoops guess I did miss it--I didn't take it personal though--she's the peever I'm not the peevee, neither are you. Does seem kinda critical but that's her pet peeve too. Guess what? You won't see many of those kinda cakes on my webpage thumbs_up.gif

Here's one of my pet peeves--well before I get there let me say I think I could call my style shabby chic sometimes a little too heavy on the shabby icon_biggrin.gif but there's usually enough chic to disguise the shabby as whim or temperment or artistic madness or something that usually flies pretty well. I'm just talking resume.

So my pet peeve is when someone unfairly compares the work of a pro to the work of someone who obviously labored intensely on some sweet little homely bunch of adorable cupcakes with lopsided overflowed tops or a slip slidey 8" cake where they didn't know to cut off the dome and got it held together with toothpicks. 'Cause you know they worked their freaking hiney off making that honest little patch of sweetness so that counts way more than a pro's cake if you're truly gonna compare.

I used to filet my children for comparing my work to anyone else's. They caught on quick. It's just not nice to compare. It never works. And my work is real cool but not competition worthy. Kerry would get her red pen out and I'd get an A or B for design and an F for execution.

I hate it when people try to compare unequal work like that--pure class envy--in the cake caste system of life that is.

So that could come off a little uppity but we all gotta know we are each individually good--'cause nobody else is gonna if we don't. 'Course we all can improve too.

But this is about pet peeves. Ok my little brother is far and away my all time number one pet peeve--wonder how that would set with him???

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:39pm
post #119 of 170

i'm guessing here, but i think maybe a few of the posters were trying to say that there are cakes that exist on the internet that do stand out as a bit sloppy, even for an amateur level. writing going at a 45 degree angle, words spelled wrong, huge spatula marks...all of those things are stuff that can be corrected with little to no effort. icing can easily be taken off, once crusted, to help make a lettering even, words can be written out ahead of time on paper to make sure of spacing and spelling, and spatula marks can be smoothed out mostly, even by complete beginners. there is a website that has been discussed and beaten to death here on cc...cakewrecks...which comes to mind!! some of those just make me cringe...while still almost peeing my pants cause i'm laughing so hard!!icon_biggrin.gif

my pet peeve is also the requests for information, but only when the request is something that could have easily been researched on their own first. doesn't make it wrong, just makes it MY pet peeve. i love to help, but only those who are willing to also help themselves.

AsburyArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AsburyArt Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #120 of 170

Flat iced cakes with FRESH flowers. I wish that look would die a slow, agonizing death.

Another HUGE pet peeve is when I get an email that states the following and nothing more:

------------------------------

How much do your cakes cost?
-Jane Doe

---------
Short question... LONG answer lol icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%