Cake Pet Peeves

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 4:01am by nickshalfpint

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #1 of 170

I guess I could get into trouble with this thread but I don't mean to!

Anyone have cake pet peeves?

One of mine is wedding cakes that do not have even spacing between them....like some bakeries will do 16/12/8/6 or something. Weird huh? Even the catering place I worked at did that, for serving sizes.

Another is really little...but when you make a fake bow, why do so many people make the ribbon ends SMALLER than the width of the bow itself? When you tie a real ribbon, its all the same width. LOL. icon_wink.gif

One nice thing about examining wedding photos though is that, unless its a dummy cake worked on for weeks ahead, usually you can find little mistakes...which makes ME feel better because after staring at my own cake for four hours, I can't imagine anyone would actually LIKE it. Anyone else that way?

This is meant to be a lighthearted thread...hope it doesn't turn into anything otherwise!

169 replies
CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 170

I guess my pet peeve is blue roses, or any other flowers done in un-natural colors, but especially blue roses. Cutesey, fantasy flowers are one thing, but if you're doing an actual flower that exists in nature, then do them in naturally found colors. And I hate sheet cakes; too thin and too much negative space to try to fill.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 170

The biggest pain in my opinion is the actual baking of the cake! I LOVE the decorating part, but the baking part erks me.. lol...that, and cakes with pillars and columns and fountains.. I dunno why... just not my thing I guess.. icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 170

I am not a fan of sheet cakes either!! They just look so industrial and commercially made. (even when they are homemade) jmho!

What I really really REALLY hate is sifting powdered sugar. It makes my back and shoulder hurt.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 170

Oh boy. This thread is for me!!!!

I HATE fondant! It is fabulous for decorating accents, but why forsake the taste of a cake for looks? And it isn't the taste that's objectionable to me--it's the texture.

It looks good, but our cakes gotta do more than look good.

Glad I got that off my chest! Hahahahahhha.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 170

I hate trying to ice a cake completely smooth.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 170

I use Melvira's roller method to smooth my bc. I always do the sides first and then I do the top. I HATE HATE HATE the little bit of bc that pushes up to the top edge of the cake and then I have to try to smooth that over. DRIVES ME CRAZY!!! icon_twisted.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 170

A sloppy cake board!!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 170

My pet peeve is seeing the pointy tips on dots. They need to be pushed down! And I do not like seeing cake photos with a mess in the background.

KimAZ

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

My pet peeve is seeing the pointy tips on dots. They need to be pushed down! And I do not like seeing cake photos with a mess in the background.

KimAZ

I'm with you on both of these! And the pointy tips REALLY tick me off when I find I forgot to go back and schmoosh 'em down and now they've crusted on me! icon_redface.gif

Since I frequently cut other bakery's and other baker's cakes, my BIG peeve is overdoweling! HATE cutting cakes with 97 dowels in a 10" cake! (ok ok maybe it didn't have THAT many, but it DID have too many!). The cake is a big crumbly mess when it's being cut and people think I'm the one doing the bad job cutting it, when it's all the holes in the cake that's causing the crumbling!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 170

One of my biggest pet peeves is fondant.....my new word for it is FONDON'T....... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sorry fondant lovers, no offense meant icon_wink.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 170

Clean up!! I wish fairies or elves would come in and take over my kitchen after a night of caking!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:14pm
post #13 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by imakecakes

Clean up!! I wish fairies or elves would come in and take over my kitchen after a night of caking!

me, too !!!! maybe I should start paying my children for doing it.....rather than forced labor. joke lol

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:17pm
post #14 of 170

cakesbyjen2, blue flowers do actually exist in nature. they are more of a periwinkle but they do exist.

my biggest pet peeve is the little powdered sugar balls that sometime happen when making mmf even when i've sifted icon_sad.gif

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 170

Well lets see where to start...love this thread....
I think I have narrowed it down to a top ten! icon_wink.gif
10. shopping for materials
9. sloppy cake boards
8. beautiful cake, but sloppy writing
7. taste and smell of fondant, but love the look
6. too sweet icing!
5. cheap customers...that want a $500.00 cake for $50.00
4. Non-cake people(think they know all what you do..and they DON'T)
3. clean-up
2. baking the cakes
1. UNGRATEFUL CUSTOMERS!!!

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #16 of 170

Making buttercream...I don't use fondant. I don't know why, but I HATE mixing up the buttercream. Honestly, it's probably the easiest part of the whole process, but I just hate it!! I wish I had a little fairy for that icon_smile.gif

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #17 of 170

Dealing with brides...I think I'm going to stop doing wedding cakes all together....seriously.

Maybe I just need a break....I think this weirdo bride I'm dealing with has me in a bad cakin' mood!

I'm with you all wanting the fairies to come and clean up. And, if I ever open up a shop I am definatley hiring someone else to do the baking, I love to bake but not 10 cakes in one day....that takes the FUN out of it for me.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 170

This is a good thread! thumbs_up.gif

I hate loading icing bags AND more over disassembling and cleaning icing bags.

This is crazy of me, probably but I can't stand when I meet people that don't like/eat cake!!!! What the??? What are they? ALIENS? icon_lol.gif Sorry, I know we can't all like everything, but NOT like cake? It's just wrong! icon_razz.gif

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:42pm
post #19 of 170

I agree with the icing bags. The first time isn't bad but when I need a lot and I have to refill it then I go crazy. I wish there was some machine that would fill icing bags for meicon_smile.gif

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #20 of 170

I second the bridezillas! i haven't had to deal with any for my cakes, but i worked at david's bridal as a seamstress. needless to say i didn't work there for long! not only can the brides be horrible to work with but the mothers can be 10x worse!

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #21 of 170

I also hate my fears of running out of icing in a certain color so...I always have a ton left over and end up wasting half a batch of buttercream in all these different colors!! My Freezer is getting full of left over icing!!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:45pm
post #22 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake900

I agree with the icing bags. The first time isn't bad but when I need a lot and I have to refill it then I go crazy. I wish there was some machine that would fill icing bags for meicon_smile.gif

Someone on here got me using the saran wrap way. You place icing in a bit of wrap, wrap it like a tube a it goes into the bag. No bag cleaning needed. Best idea since butter!!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #23 of 170
Quote:

Someone on here got me using the saran wrap way. You place icing in a bit of wrap, wrap it like a tube a it goes into the bag. No bag cleaning needed. Best idea since butter!!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #24 of 170

I'm with everyone who hates cleaning up...especially when I'm doing a carved cake and leave a mountain of crumbs all over the counter and floor!! icon_surprised.gif

And I'll go ahead and say it...I can't stand icing BC-only cakes...can't make it smooth to save my life. I'm a fondant girl through and through!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:57pm
post #25 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleskaye518

Quote:

I've GOT to try this! Could you pm me on the details? TIA icon_smile.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:58pm
post #26 of 170

I, too, hate icing bc only cakes. I've tried the upside down meathod, the Viva method and Mel's roller method (by far, the best!), but I just can't seem to ever get the pristine finish I want! GRRRRR!!! icon_mad.gif

I also hate cleaning tips or anything that has touched, stored or mixed bc! I have a strong dislike of grease...

(I also don't like it when my dh comes into the kitchen and says "What the heck happened in here?!?". This happens EVERY time I make a cake. He thinks he's being funny, but really... one of these days, Alice... icon_wink.gif )

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:02pm
post #27 of 170

Most of you guys have mentioned all of my pet peeves, but wrapping the cakes in saran wrap before I freeze them; is my number one gripe. My other ones are baking the cake and cleaning up the mess!!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:03pm
post #28 of 170

Ok! I forgot about the cleaning fairies that I wish I had...... icon_rolleyes.gif Making of the buttercreme....bleh! Someday I'll get a huge mixer and buckets and just make a bunch of bc ahead of time. Better yet, get a "MAGIC" bucket to put in my pantry. When I take some bc out, the next time I go back, it's filled up again!! The buttercreme fairies and the cleaning fairies are neighbors I think!!! icon_razz.gif And I too have TONS of leftover bc because I ALWAYS make too much for fear of running out!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Wonder how much $ I'd save in a year if I could just figure that one out! tapedshut.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:09pm
post #29 of 170

I hate colored icing and filling the bags. I will do anything to try to avoid mixing colored icing...The airbrush is my best friend!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:12pm
post #30 of 170

icon_cry.gif I hate having left overs....I eat too much. So, I started freezing left over BC in air tight container in freezer and it works really good. Take it out, rewhip, no difference. I hate the mess. But biggest pet peeve is someone who waits until the last min. to try and place an order. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%