Can You Smooth All Butter Buttercream Or Only W Shortening

Decorating By momma28 Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm by 7yyrt

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 10

I HATE frosting with shortening, the flavor that is. I also have a circle of friends not friendly to all things processed. I love to make cakes for those I love and they enjoy the cakes immensly. I have used the viva method on a wedding cake (actually 4 if you count the sheet cakes made to feed the masses at the reception) with a white chocolate cream cheese buttercream and it worked well (although I had to rechill the cakes constantly or they would stick to the paper towel). I have not had the same luck with simple butter based buttercreams. They arent crusting enough I guess. I have used a hot offset spatula and parchment also. The cakes have come out good but not as smooth as I would like and it takes FOREVER to use the hot spatula. I am guessing the melted white chocolate added to the wedding cake frosting helped make it more conducive to the viva method. Any suggestions beyond the paper towels or do Ihave to add some amount of shortening to get a truly smooth buttercream. Man I hope not.
Just an FYI, no one I am mking cakes for likes fondant either so I really need to perfect smooth buttercream. The tastes cake great, I have that part down, just need a good decorating background.

9 replies
sugarycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarycreations Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 10

just trying to keep this post active

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 10

Here's a bump for you.....

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 10

I use an all butter buttercream and I use the viva method to smooth. Maybe it is the ratio of butter to powdered sugar you're using. I use 1 lb. butter to 2 lbs sugar and it crusts well enough that I can smooth it pretty well.

Hope this helps!

Lara

momma28 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you. I was using 1/2 lb butter to 2 lbs sugar. Tasted great but not a great crust. I will try upping the butter (yummy, I can feel my butt getting bigger already LOL) and see how it goes. Thank you for you post.

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:53am
post #6 of 10

I'm with you; I LOVE the taste of butter. We personally don't like to eat shortening. I make a lot of all butter icing cakes,. I use the 1 pound butter : 2 lbs. of powdered sugar ratio. I have found that it is a lot easier to smooth if I use a "good" powdered sugar like Domino. Some of those off brands have too much corn starch in them, and they get gritty. I think the all butter icing is harder to smooth. Sometimes it "crusts" on me too soon. Sometimes I need to use 50% (or 100 % )Hi-ratio shortening in my wedding cakes. I'll never go back to Crisco. The hi-ratio shortening whips up nice and light, and it doesn't leave that "shortening" feel on the roof of your mouth.

Sandy

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I am guessing the melted white chocolate added to the wedding cake frosting helped make it more conducive to the viva method. Any suggestions beyond the paper towels or do Ihave to add some amount of shortening to get a truly smooth buttercream. Man I hope not.

i have a feeling it's the cream cheese that made it easy to smooth out. my carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (to which i added half butter & PS) was super easy to smoothen, as opposed to my all butter BC.
yes, i use all butter too, 2 PS to 1 butter, but once crusted, it is fairly easy to smoothen too.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:15am
post #8 of 10

I use the wilton buttercream recipe (but I make big batches -- 1 lb butter, 1 lb veg shortening (crisco, but I think maybe the formulation is different in Canada because ours still has trans fats), 4 tsp vanilla, 2 bags icing sugar (our bags are 1 kg each, which is 2.2. pounds), then however much milk it needs -- between 1/2 and 1 cup of milk. Anyway, I smooth my cake with the wet spatula method. I just have a tall glass of water and keep dipping the spatula in it and smoothing the cake. I guess the water dissolves the icing so it can get smooth. I don't get it really wet (wipe with a paper towel between dips). Maybe that is what is meant by the hot spatula method. Oh, and as you go around the edges, have a paper towel or three to dab the excess drops of water that collect on the bottom.

I'm just a hobbly baker, so for the most part, I just figure pretty smooth is smooth enough.

momma28 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you for all your responses! My husband says we need to find a cheap source of butter LOL. I go through so much because I use all butter cakes and frostings. It just tastes better. Wish margarine worked as well. Come to think of it I never tried but would imagine it wouldnt be the same.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 10

Have you tried Costco or the equivalent? I get butter for $1.94 a pound in the multi-block package. Price has gone up from $1.57, but still a good one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%