Please Honest Opinions On 1St Tiered Cake Using Sps

Decorating By PollyMaggs Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 3:12am by dragonflydreams

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 24

This is a cake I made for my Dad's 80th Birthday. He is a jewely designer hence the ruby, sapphire, emerald and gold colors. I am not pleased with it at all. I wanted elegant and got gaudy...lol Please be honest I would rather know the truth than empty praises...I will get enough of that from the family.
Thanks,
Polly
LL

23 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #2 of 24

Sorry..I don't agree with gaudy. I absolutely love it!!!!

It looks so rich and elegant. You did a wonderful job.

Those are the same colors I plan on decorating my shop in one day.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 24

I don't know exactly how you wanted it to look, but I don't think it's gaudy. I would use the word "regal" to describe your cake. thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #4 of 24

This is definitely not empty praise, so here goes..........WOW, this reminds me of a cake designer's work that was featured on one of the cake shows recently. I can't remember the name of the designer, but she bakes out of her small apartment kitchen in NY and she hand paints all her cakes, they start at $1500 and go up to $6500.

Your Dad will absolutely love this cake not only because his talented daughter made it, but because it is fantastically beautiful thumbs_up.gif No empty praise here icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

This is definitely not empty praise, so here goes..........WOW, this reminds me of a cake designer's work that was featured on one of the cake shows recently. I can't remember the name of the designer, but she bakes out of her small apartment kitchen in NY and she hand paints all her cakes, they start at $1500 and go up to $6500.

Your Dad will absolutely love this cake not only because his talented daughter made it, but because it is fantastically beautiful thumbs_up.gif No empty praise here icon_smile.gif

dkelly27, You are talking about Margaret Braun...she's amazing.

And yes, PollyMaggs, your cake has the rich colors and glitter like Margaret Braun's. I bet your Dad loved it!

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #6 of 24

I love it- just beautiful. My dad is a gem-person, too. I'll have to keep this cake in mind for future reference!

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:04am
post #7 of 24

I love it- just beautiful. My dad is a gem-person, too. I'll have to keep this cake in mind for future reference!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:11am
post #8 of 24

I totally agree - it does look like Margaret Braun and I was thinking about her the minute I saw your cake!

I absolutely LOVE it - it does look regal and rich and elegant and very very expensive!!

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #9 of 24

I think it looks great! Give a pat on the back. I will be using the
SPS system for the first time next week, your cake looks wonderful.

Melissa

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:41am
post #10 of 24

I think your cake is wonderful. As for gaudy, not in the least. Your cake looks like it belongs in a royal palace with all it's bright and shinny colors. If I had an occasion to make a cake like yours I think I would leave of the pearls, I'm not a big fan of pearls but I do love the rest of the cake. My DH also thought it was... WOW what a cake. He asked me,"Why didn't you do something like that for my birthday!"

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:50am
post #11 of 24

the colors remind me of a faberge egg thumbs_up.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:03am
post #12 of 24

Polly,
You're cake is fabulous & I mean that sincerely. It does have the look of the designer the others were talking about. I think she was on the amazing wedding cake show on the WE channel, maybe you can catch a rerun of it. Let us know how it transported & how you're father liked it.
Nancy

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:08am
post #13 of 24

Not gaudy at all...rich and jewel -toned,yes....elegant,yes...gaudy ,no! It's lovely ,just enough sparkle,and you didn't overdo it at all...as shadowgypsie said,I would maybe leave off the pearls,or perhaps use the cake colours,not the white...but that's just me...I think you cake is gorgeous and perfect for your Dad...what a wonderful gift! Don't be so hard on yourself...

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #14 of 24

Pollu I love it. Reminds me of my (don't take it the wrong way) Christmas Ornaments. I have a HUGE collection of Radko ornaments which are glass and very brightly colored. All designs are jeweled toned and I LOVE them and I love your cake - very appropriate. Guys are so hard to do cakes for. I'm sick of the chocolate cake or the tie cake - its refreshing and wonderful that he has such a thoughtful daughter.

Hey how's you do that gold. Luster dust? Someone has a snow white cake on here that is to die for with gold swirls. I want to do a doll cake for my daughter's cinderella bday - actually it is going to match her version of a cinderella dress so I need some silver lacey pattern and would love to paint on. If you know how to do that please share. I will call you in the morning - if its not too crazy here - didnt know your time zone - THANKS

Catherine

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:19am
post #15 of 24

I agree with everyone it looks great not gaudy. We fabulous artist are always hard on ourselves icon_biggrin.gif

PollyMaggs Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:14am
post #16 of 24

Thank you all so much. The party was supossed to be on the 7th but because of the hurricane it was postponed until the 21st...tomorrow. But it wasnt postponed until I baked for 6 hours in my 95 degree kitchen using a generator to run the oven. I had to freeze the cakes for 2 weeks. Just so you know that when you freeze cakes that long they settle. They were originally 4" tall and ended up being 3 1/2 inches when I defrosted them. That made me have to cut the sps legs which was not easy. Thats why there is 2 rows of pearls, to cover up the gap that I had. I cant pipe worth poop...lol so I used the pearls. You all have made me feel much better....Honestly when I finished this cake I cried because I thought it looked horriable. As I think about it I believe my dad will like it...he and my mom both like gaudy..ornante things, you should see their house...you would think they lived in a palace with statues and the likes. Again Thanks being likened to Margaret Braun is a great complement.I hope to be that good one day. I've only done about a dozen cakes so far so I need to practice alot more. I will let ya'll know how this all ends.
Polly

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:35am
post #17 of 24

OMG! when i saw your cake I immediately thought rich! regal! King-like! It's awesome and your Dad will be happy and proud. It's wonderful!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:45am
post #18 of 24

oh my heavens, that is just STunning!! i already added it to my faves and left a comment before i even saw this thread!! i'm so envious !! icon_smile.gif you rock!

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:55am
post #19 of 24

You did an outstanding job. I looks fit for a king. If you have only made about a dozen cakes you are very talented. I love the deep rich colors. keep up the good work.

Melissa

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 6:50am
post #20 of 24

I love it! Makes me think Arabian nights or something...it's very pretty icon_smile.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:15am
post #21 of 24

I think your cake looks really good, a cake fit for a royal court! Well done.

PollyMaggs Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #22 of 24

Hi all,
I just want to give you an update. They cake was a great hit. Everyone loved it, and it made my Dad cry. I was affraid we would have to much cake as it was made to serve 100-130 for the orginal party befor it was postponed. We had 45 guests and there was about a dozen slices left when the party was over. Thank God everyone couldnt make it...lol
Thank you all again for your support. I could never have done this without the help, instructions and support from everyone here at CCC.
You are all truly appreciated,
Polly

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #23 of 24

That's wonderful I'm glad to hear your dad loved your cake. It really was awesome.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyMaggs

Hi all,
I just want to give you an update. They cake was a great hit. Everyone loved it, and it made my Dad cry. I was affraid we would have to much cake as it was made to serve 100-130 for the orginal party befor it was postponed. We had 45 guests and there was about a dozen slices left when the party was over. Thank God everyone couldnt make it...lol
Thank you all again for your support. I could never have done this without the help, instructions and support from everyone here at CCC.
You are all truly appreciated,
Polly

. . . what a treasured memory this cake will have for you . . . it truly warms my heart to hear of your Dad's reaction . . . I know we are all our own worst critics . . . but you have the ultimate compliment with your Dad's genuine critique of your gift to him . . . what a blessing . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%