Mixing Bettercreme Into Buttercream?

Baking By jjcakes Updated 25 Oct 2008 , 12:56pm by SaraClassic

jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:10am
post #1 of 8

Hello! I've been out of the cake making loop for a bit now and am jumping back in.

I make a 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco buttercream and would like to make it a bit less sweet. Was kind of thinking of adding some bettercreme into it to see what that would be like. Anyone tried it? Will the color still mix in even or not? Any hope of it still crusting?

I have tried SMBC for a less sweet icing and did love it. I'm just not sure I want to deal with having to refrigerate cakes and worry about odors etc getting into the icing so trying to find another solution.

TIA

7 replies
mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 2:57am
post #2 of 8

Hey there, you asked about mixing bettercream and buttercream. I tried it, and it didn't work that well. I tried adding a package of dream whip when making buttercream and that turned out really well. Also, bettercream tastes really yummy and doesnt have to be refrigerated. Good Luck!

jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 6:50am
post #3 of 8

Thank you - after using Bettercreme a few times now I figured it wasn't going to mix in well with buttercream. It does taste great though, I wish I could do more decorating with it. I'm going to have to try Dreamwhip in buttercream again. I did it once before years ago and can't remember what I thought of it!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 7:21am
post #4 of 8

Try IMBC. Not as sweet and it doesn't need to be refrigerated or anything.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:15am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Try IMBC. Not as sweet and it doesn't need to be refrigerated or anything.

I would think the egg whites need some refrigeration.

Mike

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:28am
post #6 of 8

Mike - actually its a bit o' science icon_biggrin.gif BEcause of the sugar, it makes it so even icings with milk and butter can sit out for a few days with no prob !
But as far as sweet icing, Ive always added a little pinch of fine salt and it seems to take that too sweet, teeth hurting, sweetness out. Guess Im just simple, lol.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 10:36am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

Mike - actually its a bit o' science icon_biggrin.gif BEcause of the sugar, it makes it so even icings with milk and butter can sit out for a few days with no prob !
But as far as sweet icing, Ive always added a little pinch of fine salt and it seems to take that too sweet, teeth hurting, sweetness out. Guess Im just simple, lol.

I know this will cause a stir, but sugar is not a preservative. Sugar attracts moisture. Yes, I know there are sugar cured hams, and bacon, and those things. Actually the sugar is there to take the harhness out of the salt that used to cure the meat.

Mike

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 8

No stir here... Im not a drama queen. icon_razz.gif I know that when I started making icings I was concerned about this and did a bit of research. It is not a preservitiave, very true, thats why only a few days will it be good. Check it out on a google search, I cant remember the "terms" and the "blah blah blahs" but I know it made me feel better about using milk and butter and leaving it on a cake overnight without refrig.
What do you do? Do you refrige all the cakes with that in your icing? I just have issues with "sweat" after refrigeration.
- Sara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%