Getting Your Name Out...

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm by leah_s

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #1 of 9

Hi all,
I'm fairly new to cake decorating, but it's something that I've been picking up on pretty fast, and I'm taking the Wilton courses. I've made some cakes for family & friends, and I have an order for a wedding cake next spring for someone from my church. My question is... I really want to get my name out there & start making cakes every now & then for people other than family & friends. How can I go about this?? Thank you!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #2 of 9

Well, the first step is to make sure you're legal. 'Cause once your name gets "out there" you'll need to be inspected, probably get incorporated, buy insurance, etc.

To get your name in circulation, it's all about advertising. Passing out biz cards, well placed ads, samples to other vendors, influencial people (people who come in contact with a lot of people.)

hyperswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hyperswife Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #3 of 9

I'm kind a in the same boat as you lkoenig. I made a cake for a friend's baby shower and now I found I love it. To get me name out there I'm using my family and friends. I take "pratice" cakes to work and have my co-works try them. And every time I make a cake for someone I take along business cards to hand out. It is a slow process but so far it is working. I have several cakes due by the end of the year and even some for next year. Just keep reminding people of what you can do.
I haven't done the whole legal thing yet, mostly because I can't afford it. And in CA you can't make cakes for "customers" out of your home. So right now I do it just for friends and family, and some friends of friends.
Good luck and keep at it, soon everyone will know your name.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 9

Take Leahs adviceicon_smile.gif
Then make a cake for any and ev ery occasion you know/hear about! icon_smile.gif
Is the church having a potluck or other special event? Find out when people have their b'day or anniv & make them a small cake....
Take a cake to the dr; bank; insurance office; local firehouse; police; beauty shop....... get the pic? icon_smile.gif

When I started I went to my bank & offered to make a cake for each employee on their b'day. I made single layer 6" rounds (3 from each cake mix). Kept them in the fzr (welll wrapped) until they called. A quick coat of b'cream & some roses etc and they have a nice cake to celebrate with.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 9

Also, make sure you know what you are getting into! Making cakes for friends is one thing, but making several a week for paying customers is demanding, messy and stressful. It's also lots of fun, just be sure you are ready for a lot of responsibility.

leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperswife

I haven't done the whole legal thing yet, mostly because I can't afford it. And in CA you can't make cakes for "customers" out of your home. So right now I do it just for friends and family, and some friends of friends.

At the risk of being acused of trying to burst your bubble, let me say that you really can't afford not to be legal. Providing food to the public is serious business. Without the proper credentials (license, insurance and incorporation) you are betting your bank account, vehicle and house that no one will sue you. You don't necessarily need to lose a lawsuit, because defending yourself will ruin you financially. But maybe you're rich and can take the risk. Me, I wouldn't put my family at risk. The worry would probably do me in.

hyperswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hyperswife Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #7 of 9

I'm not saying that I don't want to be legal. Just right now I'm not sure if making cakes is what I want to do for the rest of my life. If I get legal today can I cancel it next month? That is what I'm worried about. Right now if things keep going the way they are I will absolutly do everything I need to. And as of now I have only made cakes for family or close friends that know I'm just starting out and I'm not very good yet. But I will start looking into what I need to do.

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 9

So, what do I need to do to get legal? How (and where) would I go about getting insurance, a license, etc?

leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 9

There's a sticky at the top of one of these Forums about which states license home bakeries. Also check into Cottage Laws to see if yuor state has them.

You generally start with either your local Health Department or a state Dept of Agriculture for the rules and regulations. Start with your current homeowners insurance agent to see if they offer biz insurance. You can get good info on how to incorporate on the "interweb". That you can really do yourself if you do some research. I had an attorney do the incorporation of my first biz, saw how easy it was, and now I've incorporated several others and some orgnaizations I belong to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%