Possible Cake Dissaster

Decorating By kr1970 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm by kr1970

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 13

I made a 3D cowboy boot it looked great- then 20 min before i was suppose to deliver at 5pm- the fondant started to slide down- i smoothed it back up i even put a little royal icing where the shaft of the boot met the fondant that covered the top of the cake to glue the 2 piece together and stuck it in the frig for 30 min before i had to go. I delivered it and could tell it slid back down i'm so worried that beofre they cut it it will be destroyed by gravity! Just incase i ever get a cake order again- how do you prevent fondant from sliding of the slide of a cake when it is a separate piece from shaft covers the top or if it just a very tall cake???

12 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 13

Please post a picture so I can better understand what you mean.....I'm a visual person, sorry icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 13

Did you cover the cake w/b'cream or piping gel or something sticky to hold the fondant?

kr1970 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 13

yes it was covered in buttercreme first. here's a pic

kr1970 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 13

oh well i can't get it to work i'll put it in my pics

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #6 of 13

homemade or commercial fondant?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:20am
post #7 of 13

The cake picture (just uploaded?) is wonderful! I love it!

You have to make sure the fondant at the top is attached well to the other fondant with a bit of water...or even seal with a bit of matching royal icing. And then again, I love to refrigerate my cakes because it helps the fondant to set up and travel extremely well.

Great cake! thumbs_up.gif

kr1970 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #8 of 13

It was home made MMF which is what i always use. And believe it or not i used water to stick the tan to the black initally then when i noticed it sliding i added the royal just under the tan where it connected to the black???

Kitagrl Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #9 of 13

Sounds like maybe your icing was too soft?

kr1970 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #10 of 13

that's kind of what i was thinking do you mean it didn't have enough PS? I carved it covered it in BC and refrigerated it over night before i covered it in MMF and it seemed good but with the heat here i guess it started getting melty? I do refig some MMF but then i have the problem with that shiny condensation issue. Thank goodness- as of yet the customer hasn't called or emailed so i'm guessing they were happy. I have another cake to deliver to her this coming Friday icon_redface.gif

Kitagrl Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1970

that's kind of what i was thinking do you mean it didn't have enough PS? I carved it covered it in BC and refrigerated it over night before i covered it in MMF and it seemed good but with the heat here i guess it started getting melty? I do refig some MMF but then i have the problem with that shiny condensation issue. Thank goodness- as of yet the customer hasn't called or emailed so i'm guessing they were happy. I have another cake to deliver to her this coming Friday icon_redface.gif

What consistency was the icing before refrigeration?

I usually spray a fine mist on crusting bc before covering in fondant to be sure its stuck tightly on there.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 13

The only time I ever had a problem like that was with homemade fondant that was not stiff enough/needed more ps. I now only use SatinIce and no problems, ever.

kr1970 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #13 of 13

thanks Leahs- that certainly could be the problem - probably a combo of not stiff enough BC and MMF as well as the heat. You guys are all so awesome to take your time to help me- I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%