Lets Exchange Recipes For Favorite Holiday Candies And Gifts

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm by bobwonderbuns

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:33pm
post #61 of 568

I hate the tedious job of dipping pretzels into white chocolate. So two years ago I started making chocolate covered pretzel bark. Same taste, way less work! icon_lol.gif

I really don't have a recipe I just crushed some pretzels and stirred them into melted white chocolate until I had the ratio I liked. Poured onto wax paper and let harden. (I usually sit them outside to set up, but then I live in Indiana, lol)

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:45pm
post #62 of 568

Great thread ladies. Thanks for starting this thread.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #63 of 568

I got this recipe from http://ezinearticles.com/?Vanilla-Fudge-Recipes---Easy-Vanilla-Fudge&id=1020374

Fancy Vanilla Fudge

2 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
5 oz. can evaporated milk
2 c marshmallow creme
8 oz. white chocolate candy bar
3/4 c chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla

Line a 9x13-inch pan with foil, let the foil extend over the sides of the pan. Butter ALL of the foil.

In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower heat to med and let boil for 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Take off of heat.

Add in the marshmallow creme, white chocolate bar, pecans and vanilla. Stir mixture til smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Let cool to room temp. Refrigerate until firm.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #64 of 568

Yep, this is going to be one of those threads that will make me gain weight just by reading it! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #65 of 568

I love these recipes I have already seen quite a few that i am going to have to try

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #66 of 568

Ok BOB !! I had to redo but I think I have all the links in my signature that we have going on right now? icon_lol.gif
It only allows so many letters etc ! icon_surprised.gif
So I had to shorten all the names but y;all can get figure it out icon_razz.gif

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:43pm
post #67 of 568

You are great people for putting all this together for us! Thanks so much.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #68 of 568

Yowza!! Lotsa new good stuff! It's all been added!

It's funny to think back to being a kid and my grandmother made the peanut butter ritz sandwiches dipped in chocolate... you'd have thought we were abused children the way we whined for those!! Like we'd never had candy before. To this day I adore them, and the wonderful memories they elicit. Ok... back to the treats, sorry! icon_lol.gif

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:50am
post #69 of 568

I found my recipe for "frosted nuts" They are actually meringue covered, but I love this meringue because it doesn't matter if it whips to stiff peaks, which I have a horrible time with icon_mad.gif

This is not for the calorie conscious icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

3 cups of assorted nuts (we always use walnut pieces, pecan halves, and sliced almond)
2 egg whites
1 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter

Toast nut in 325 degree oven for 10 min. Remove.
Melt stick of butter on a sheet pan in the oven.
Beat the 2 egg whites with a dash of salt. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff. Fold warm nuts into meringue.

Spread mixture on buttered cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes, flipping every 10 minutes to help absorb the butter.

They are always the hit of any holiday gathering and I have become the only one willing to make them. The first smells of toasted nuts and butter just bring back so many memories of making them with my grandma.

Hope everyone enjoys them icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:06am
post #70 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Ok BOB !! I had to redo but I think I have all the links in my signature that we have going on right now? icon_lol.gif
It only allows so many letters etc ! icon_surprised.gif
So I had to shorten all the names but y;all can get figure it out icon_razz.gif

You ROCK!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #71 of 568

icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif Thanks BOB
We couldnt get enough sugar bread whe I was little icon_lol.gif
My boys all loved it to. Its was fun to pass that down to my kids icon_smile.gif
I also make the Ritz cracker, everyone loves them !

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #72 of 568

A foolproof fudge recipe that's been around for years in one form or another.

Mamie's Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge Recipe
Ingredients:
4-1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 pinch of salt
12 oz can evaporated milk
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
12 ounces milk chocolate chips
1 pint marshmallow cream
2 cups chopped nuts

In a large bowl, mix chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, and nuts. Set aside. Heat sugar, butter, salt, and evaporated milk over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves and boil for 6 minutes. Pour the boiling syrup over the choc chips, mm cream and nuts. Mix until the chocolate is completely melted, then pour in a 13 x 9 pan lined with buttered foil . Let stand for a few hours or refridgerate before cutting.

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:17am
post #73 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

We couldnt get enough sugar bread whe I was little icon_lol.gif

Is that white bread with butter and sugar on it?? I LOVE that!!

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:02am
post #74 of 568

I like to give breakfast baskets. Homemade bread from the dutch oven (really crusty), homemade jelly and jam, honey and butter, dozen of fresh eggs, and homemade blueberry or pumkin muffins.
I think this year I will be making homemade herb vinegars, but after reading all of the posts. I might be back to baking for the holidays.

I love the Oreo Balls. They are a hit any where you take them.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:16am
post #75 of 568

One year for the kids in the family I bought mason jars at micheals and painted them with differant stamps.
I put colored cellophane paper inside and then i filled it with chocolates.
Than I wraped it in ribbon, and put bows on top.

they looked so pretty I wish I had pictures

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:33am
post #76 of 568

I have a cusion who is always on a diet so one year I made her a fruit basket

heres a quick video I found on youtube so you can get the basic idea

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #77 of 568

Thanks for sharing everyone thumbs_up.gif These all sound wonderful. I will also dig into my recipes ,see what I can come up with.

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #78 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledo

I like to give breakfast baskets. Homemade bread from the dutch oven (really crusty), homemade jelly and jam, honey and butter, dozen of fresh eggs, and homemade blueberry or pumkin muffins.

How on EARTH do I get on your gift list?!?! Hehehe. I love doing that stuff for people, I make a lot of home made gifts, and I'll tell you, they are always 'right'. Even if they could 'return' them, they never would! People scarf that stuff down like they're getting paid for it! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #79 of 568

Yes Mel ! Your right ! White bread with sugar on it ! I loved that growing up,couldnt get enough of it !

marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #80 of 568

White bread with sugar on it?! My husband thinks I am crazy to eat that! I loved it as a kid and could not get enough of it either. I eat is some now too!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #81 of 568

I don't know how I forgot my grandma's potato candy. It was a staple when I was little, but she quit making it a few years back when everyone started eating "healthy", but I took up the tradition 2 years ago & now it's my job. Even though people eat "healthy" it ends up disappearing. Don't be turned off by the name, you don't taste the potato. Be warned, it's very rich, but soooo good!

Potato Candy

2 tablespoons mashed cooked potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon milk
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup peanut butter (or to taste)

Mix together potatoes, butter or margarine, and milk. Add enough confectioners' sugar to make a stiff dough.

Roll out on a flat surface sprinkled with powdered sugar. Spread on a layer of peanut butter and roll up like a jelly roll. Chill and slice.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm
post #82 of 568

I have a great one for quick peanut brittle.

1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup light corn syrup
dash of salt
1 Cup raw peanuts (I find these in the produce section near the holidays)
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

In a 4 cup glass measuring cup, stir sugar, corn syrup and salt together. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Add raw peanuts and stir and microwave for 3 1/2 minutes. Add butter and vanilla, stir and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Add baking soda (it will fizz and froth); stir and pour into lightly buttered jelly roll pan. (I pour it on my Silpat and you don't need to grease first) Cool and break into pieces.
NOTE! Don't do on damp, humid days!

This is my most requested recipe and the easiest! I put the pieces in a nice jar and tie with a ribbon.

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #83 of 568

dandelion: I havent had potato candy since I was a child. Taht was my mothers favorite.

I love bread with brown sugar on it. But it has to be warm bread. Yummy.

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:12pm
post #84 of 568

Oh doodledo, I thought no one else ate brown sugar sandwiches. My mom used to make me a small on once in awhile when I was a kid.... bread, really soft margarine or butter & then brown sugar. icon_wink.gif Tried to make it for my grandkids & they acted like I was going to poison them... they prefer poptarts! icon_eek.gif

Melvira Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #85 of 568

Dang it, do you guys have any idea how badly I want a sugar sandwich now?? Ugh!! icon_rolleyes.gif

File updated.

Potato candy... that just sounds good!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:31pm
post #86 of 568

Now all we need is one of those mini cast iron stoves to play with while we eat all this delicious candy! icon_biggrin.gif

KathyB101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyB101 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:45pm
post #87 of 568

Hello All, I am new to the site and a newbie at baking, I love to bake. I love to create and try new recipes. I inspire to be like my Mother and Grandmother (now deceased) to bake like they did...no recipes or training just from scratch..So I have a Holiday Recipe I came up with that is a family favorite. Pumpkin Spice Cake : 1 Box DH Spice Cake Mix. I Can (plain) pumpkin puree. 3 Eggs.... I add 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice...more if you prefer. In a large bowl mix together the cake mix, eggs. add the 1 tsp. of spice, add the pumpkin. Use the pumpkin instead of adding water and oil. I measure the pumpkin to the exact measurement for the water and oil.. The mix will be very thick...mix well, but not over mix. I bake this according to the directions on the box, but my oven varies - so I check after 30 mins..until done. This recipe is wow with cream cheese icing, or with powdered sugar on top, or I've even made a bundt cake with it. Thanks, KathyB

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:09am
post #88 of 568

Wow Kathy, that pumpkin spice cake sounds awesome!! Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif And Welcome to CC -- better known as your new addiction! icon_lol.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #89 of 568

Rich Tokay Choc.Fruit Cake
(makes 2 cakes,can be made up to 6 mo ahead -store in airtight container in cool,dry place or fridge if humid)
750 gram sultanas
500 gm raisins,chopped
250 gm pitted prunes,chopped
250 gm pitted dates,chopped
250 gm glace apricots,chopped
375 mil tokay( or muscat,sherry,brandy)
115 gm honey
150 gm hazelnuts
250 gm butter
1 tbspn van.essence
300 gm firmly packed dark brn.sugar
6 eggs
150 gm drk.choc ,grated( I use choc chips )
300 gm plain flour
75 gm srflour
25 gm cocoa powder
2 tspn cinnamon

Combine all fruit,honey & 300 ml of tokay in large non-metallic bowl,mix well,cover & stand o/night or for several days,stirring occasionally.
Line base & sides of 2 deep 20 cm( 8") round cake pans with 2 layers of brown paper & 2 layers of baking paper,bringing paper 5 cm above edge of pans.
Preheat oven to moderate ( 180c / 350f )
Place hazelnuts in shallow baking dish & bake for about 8 min or until skin starts to split.Rub nuts in clean teatowel to remove most of skin.Cool & chop coarsely - reduce oven to 150c / 300f.
Beat butter,essence & sugar until just combined.Add eggs one at a time,beating only until combined.
Stir in fruit, chocolate,nuts, then sifted dry ingredients in 2 batches ; mix well.
Divide mix evenly between 2 pans ; bake for about 2 3/4 - 3 hrs.Cover loosely with foil if over-browning.Ready when skewer in centre of cake is clean.
Brush hot cakes with remaining tokay, cover tightly with foil & cool completely in pans.

This is my staple christmas cake & is to die for !!!! Delicious icon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:30am
post #90 of 568

Oh & reading about the sugar bread reminded me of the Cinnamon Toast we used to eat , a mix of sugar & cinnamon sprinkled over buttered toast
Yummo !!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%