Lets Exchange Recipes For Favorite Holiday Candies And Gifts

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm by bobwonderbuns

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #331 of 568

I think she means it could be a story like the Lizzy Borden story. No one knows for sure if she really did it! icon_evil.gif

Any one have a good ghost story? I'm in the mood for one. It is that time of year. OOOOOOOOOOoooooo he he he hahaha icon_twisted.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:20am
post #332 of 568

Ok, see, that is why they aren't letting me hold sharp knives right now... I'm a little slow on the upload!! Halloween. I get it now. I was just having a real... well, blonde moment I guess. The car was running, but there was no one behind the wheel, ya dig??

I do have a ghost story for you, but it's a real one. Not a silly made up one. Are you still interested? It has pictures too.

GrandmaG Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:23am
post #333 of 568

OH, ya, ya, ya! Tell it! And the PICs!

Melvira Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 3:33am
post #334 of 568

I actually have the whole thing typed up with the pix, but it's kinda long and waaaay off subject from this thread... do you want me to email it to you?

GrandmaG Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:35am
post #335 of 568

Yes! I love a good ghost story! Thanks!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:24pm
post #336 of 568

lilybird.. Where have you been ????
Sorry Guys I stopped getting notices on this thread !GrandmaG. you are right about the Lizzy Borden type of story !!! he he !!
Now Mel are you really having a blonde Moment ??? he he ! I was thinking it was just ..well ya know a Mel moment ! Yikes !!!
Ok Please send me( email) the creepy REAL story to ! Is it the one you wrote ??? That happened to you ??

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 4:30pm
post #337 of 568

. . . I'm always up for a good ghost story Mel . . . email . . . I'll PM you . . .

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #338 of 568

Hey Dragonlady. I emailed Mel to let her know she has fans waiting LOL!!! Its ok shes my sweet buddy ! She cant make a statement like that and not be around to send it off ! Yikes ! Mel where are you ???

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:26pm
post #339 of 568

Oh No !! I just remembered Mel was going to the pumpkin patch this morning !!
Hope you have fun Mel!!

dragonflydreams Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:31pm
post #340 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Oh No !! I just remembered Mel was going to the pumpkin patch this morning !!
Hope you have fun Mel!!

. . . I thought she just had her second child . . . what's she goin' to the pumpkin patch for icon_surprised.gif . . . oh, never mind . . . that's the cabbage patch . . . icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 5:49pm
post #341 of 568

icon_lol.gif No you were right ! The cabbage patch only makes boys. She went to the pumpkin patch for a girl ! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif .
I cant wait to see how much the new baby pumpky looks like her ! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:24pm
post #342 of 568

I just remembered something my Mom always used to make and I make sometimes for my nephew...........Potatoe candy. There is no "real" recipe - you just take a russet potatoe, peel it, but it and cook it till you can mash it. Take it out, mash it and add powdered sugar to make a dough that you can roll - you should cool the mashed potatoes before you add the powdered sugar. Then roll the mixture out, spread it with peanut butter and roll it up (like jelly roll or cinnamon rolls) then just slice it into about 1/4" pieces. That's it. It's really sweet but a different kind of yummy.

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:34pm
post #343 of 568

Thanks. There is a potato candy recipe in the file but yours may be different ? I love lots of variety ! Is it real soft after you slice it ? Or can you coat it with choc ? or maybe a drizzle ? I have never had potato candy, Guess I should give it a try !

mjballinger Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #344 of 568

Guess I should have looked at the file! Sorry. Anyway, it depends on how much powdered sugar you add, whether you could dip it in chocolate, which I had never thought of.........thanks fiddlesticks! Is the file you are talking about one of the ones on your tag line? I'm slow today...
icon_redface.gif

Does anyone have a recipe for "Irish Potatoes?" It's made with coconut and rolled in cocoa I think. I always get it around St. Patricks day at the grocery store, but all of a sudden, I'm hungry for it!!

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:44pm
post #345 of 568

Im sorry!! I did not mean it that way! Who cares if theres more then 1 of the same or close to it ? Fine by me ! I just remember it because I have never tried it before !
And Yes my link that says treats next to it .
Irish Potatoes?" Never heard of that one either ? I have got to get out of the kitchen more LOL!

mjballinger Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm
post #346 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Im sorry!! I did not mean it that way! Who cares if theres more then 1 of the same or close to it ? Fine by me ! I just remember it because I have never tried it before !
And Yes my link that says treats next to it .
Irish Potatoes?" Never heard of that one either ? I have got to get out of the kitchen more LOL!

lol. Isn't online "talking" funny? I didn't think you meant anything! For the most part, I try to take everything as not offensive, makes for a happier time. lol. I'm just glad you mentioned it otherwise, I might not have looked at that link for quite a while........ there's almost too much to look at on CC, you know?
Now in person, I can tell if someone's offending me. I've got nothing to do while my laundry is rinsing, so I'll tell ya... The other day at a "homeroom mom" meeting, I asked what kind of snacks were they thinking of for the Halloween party and this horrible lady looks at me and says "Well, certainly not a 3 tiered cake!" Evil. lol. I only made 1 of those for school and it was for an end of the year party!! Almost makes me wanna get started on one for the Halloween party anyway! icon_rolleyes.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 7:07pm
post #347 of 568

icon_lol.gif Ok I just want to be sure thumbs_up.gif
Oh ya thats funny! Im the type that after she said that I of course would have to make it icon_lol.gificon_evil.gif
Ya know just to prove a point icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

dragonflydreams Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 1:09am
post #348 of 568

. . . back to potato candy . . . the BEST homemade peppermint patty I have ever eaten was made with potato candy as the "peppermint" part . . . YUMMM icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #349 of 568

Hey guys, we had a great time at the pumpkin patch today, then company all day! Sorry I haven't been around. Anyway, so as not to disturb the nature of this thread I posted my story here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6132505.html#6132505

Enjoy!

fiddlesticks Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:20pm
post #350 of 568

Good morning everyone ! Mel thats a great link, thx for sharing !

shannonchef2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonchef2004 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:12pm
post #351 of 568

This is a Christmas candy that my mom has made ever since I was a little girl and they never last very long. I will say they can be time consuming but what isn't when you are baking and the finished product is what counts right.

Martha Washington Balls

4c. pecans,chopped
14oz. pkg. coconut
1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 boxes powder sugar
2 sticks butter
1 tsp. vanilla
chocolate bark

Mix dry ingredients together first then add the liquid ingredients and combine. You can either put the mixture in the fridge until it is hard and then bring it back out and roll the mixture into balls or you can roll the mixture into balls and then put them into the fridge to chill (if you roll the mixture into balls before putting it into the fridge it is going to be gooey and even if it starts out in the fridge it becomes gooey really quick). Once the mixture has been rolled into balls place back into the fridge to chill over night. Melt chocolate bark coating in a double broiler once melted keep on low heat, take some of the candy out of the fridge and keep the rest chilled while not using it, using toothpicks, stick a tooth pick in the top of the ball and dip in the chocolate and hen place on waxed paper to dry. Continue with the cycle until all of the candy has been dipped in the chocolate. Keep completed candy in the fridge. Makes about 10 pounds of candy (9 dozen). thumbs_up.gif

Let me know if you have questions on making this it is harder to explain than it is to actually make.

It is easier than it sounds and they are really good. I give these as gifts to teachers at Christmas time. I go to Garden Ridge and buy the decorated boxes and put colored tissue paper in them and then put the candy and other baking in the box and give that way. [/u]

Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm
post #352 of 568

File updated!

shannonchef2004 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 10:55pm
post #353 of 568

Peanut Butter Fudge

3c. sugar
1/2c. or 1 1/2 stick butter
5oz. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
12 oz. peanut butter (I use creamy)
7oz. marshmellow cream

Butter a 9x13 in. pan and set aside. Bring sugar,butter and evaporated milkto a rolling boil stirring continusly. Boil 4 mins. on medium heat. Take off the burner. Add marshmellow cream, peanut butter and vanilla. stir until well mixed. Pour mixture into the buttered pan and let it set uncovered until cooled completly. Cut as desired.

You can also use Andes peppermint chips (peppermint chips are found in the baking section of the store in a red and white package) instead of peanut butter to make peppermint fudge. This peppermint fudge is great in the mornings with coffee.

Any questions let me know.

Velveeta Cheese Fudge

1 lb. butter
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
4 lbs. confectioners' sugar
1 c. cocoa
2 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or your desire
1 tbsp. vanilla

In top of double broiler, melt butter and velveeta cheese. They do not mix well, so be sure and stir well. While cheese and butter are melting, in large mixing bowl combine confectioners' sugar and sift in cocoa and mix well. Add nuts and mix well. When cheese and butter are melted, add vanilla. Mix real well and add immediately to sugar, cocoa and nuts. Mix well. Pour into chilled buttered 9x13 oblong pan, spread evenly and chill until cooled. Cut and serve.

This recipe sounds like it is not very good and I was really leary about trying it and I am really glad that I did this is so good.

shannonchef2004 Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #354 of 568

Cinnamon Rock Candy

1 c. water
3 3/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. light corn syrup
1 tsp. red liquid food coloring
1 tsp. cinnamon oil
1/3 c. confectioners' sugar

Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with foil; butter foil and set aside. In a large heavy sauce pn, combine water, sugar, corn syrup and food coloring. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals. Uncover; cook on medium-high heat without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300 degrees, about 25mins. Remove from heat; stir in cinnamon oil ( keep face away from mixture as odor is very strong). Immediately pour onto prepared pan. Cool completly, about 45 minutes. Break the candy into pieces using the edge of a metal mallet. Sprinkle both sides with confectioners' sugar. Store in airtight container.

Be sure that you follow direction exactly. I thought I could just put waxed paper down and pour the cand on that and the break it up. It got so hard and melted the wax paper that I ended up tearing up my counter and putting holes in the counter trying to get it off.

Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 11:11pm
post #355 of 568

File updated!

And I agree, it sounds weird, but fudge made with velveeta is actually quite good!

fiddlesticks Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:20am
post #356 of 568

I love velveeta fudge !
Thanks for doing the file Mel!

shannonchef2004 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #357 of 568

I just wanted to say that this is the greates site I have ever seen. I get on here and spend hours. This is an awsome forum where everyone can trade recipes. Every year some of my friends and I get together and do a cookie exchange where we all make cookies and such and meet at someones house and we all bring our goodies along with several trays or bucket and fill them up and trade recipes at the same time so this is even better except you don't get everybody's goodies. Anyways this is great. Thanks a million.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #358 of 568

I hate to be picky or demanding when everyone's sharing there lovely recipes, but does anyone have a good apple dumpling recipe? The best one I ever had was at a Bob Evans in Branson.....and it was soooo yummy!

chassidyg Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:30pm
post #359 of 568

This isnt a candy, but still very yummy! So I hope it's ok!

Caramel Apple Trifle

INGREDIENTS:
1 (18.25 ounce) package
yellow cake mix
6 cups cold milk
3 (3.4 ounce) packages instant
vanilla pudding mix
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1 (12 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans,
toasted
2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie
filling
2 (16 ounce) containers frozen
whipped topping, thawed

DIRECTIONS:
1. Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. In a large bowl, whisk milk, pudding mixes and apple pie spice for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
2. Cut one cake layer if necessary to fit evenly in an 8-qt. punch bowl. Poke holes in cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually pour a third of the caramel topping over cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans and spread with half of the pudding mixture. Spoon one can of pie filling over pudding; spread with one carton of whipped topping.
3. Top with remaining cake and repeat layers. Drizzle with remaining caramel topping and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Refrigerate until serving.

chassidyg Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 2:34pm
post #360 of 568

Fiddlesticks, I'm sorry its taken forever, but I found my peanut butter ball recipe!
Peanut Butter Balls

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup butter
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups semisweet chocolate
chips
1 tablespoon shortening

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix together peanut butter, butter or margarine, confectioners' sugar, and graham cracker crumbs. Shape into 1 inch balls.
*** Sometimes depending on how warm the kitchen is, I'll put them in the freezer for a few minutes to dip them easier*****
2. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in top of double boiler. Dip balls into chocolate mixture and let dry on waxed paper. (Poke each ball with a toothpick for easier dipping.)

It makes a ton, depending on what size you make them, I've made them mini and super huge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%