Lets Exchange Recipes For Favorite Holiday Candies And Gifts

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm by bobwonderbuns

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:36pm
post #301 of 568

Smoked chicken and blackend are on totally different ends of the spectrum in taste, prep, apperance, etc. Burnt sugar is closer to caramelizing, so why someone didn't call it caramelized sugar cake is beyond me.

Well, they do have smoked salts, who knows, they may already have smoked sugars out there. Then again, that's almost what BBQ sauce is--just a couple more ingredients.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:40pm
post #302 of 568

Well...hmmmm...I never heard of blackened chicken before..LOL...Guess I should keep my mouth shut unless I know what I'm talking about!! hahaa

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:47pm
post #303 of 568

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #304 of 568

Hey Fiddle- WATCH IT!

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:10pm
post #305 of 568

icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Sarsi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #306 of 568

yeah yeah yeah, Fiddle..... as if just laughing gets you out of trouble!!! icon_wink.gif

Here's my favorite candy-microwave peanut brittle!! I gave it as gifts last year, and everyone LOVED it!! It was very easy, and I had the hardest time EVER keeping it out of my mouth!! icon_redface.gif

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Microwave-Oven-Peanut-Brittle/Detail.aspx

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:46pm
post #307 of 568

Sarsi..That looks good ! Will have to give that a try!
Thanks!!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:00pm
post #308 of 568

Oh my goodness Sarsi, you are such a goof!

I agree, caramelized sugar sounds SO much better than burnt! Oh well... it still tastes good! icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

And blackened chicken is really good when made well.

Sarsi Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #309 of 568

hehehe...I know!!

yes, caramelized sugar sounds WAY more yummier!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:31pm
post #310 of 568

Goodness, what have I started here?? icon_lol.gif Smoked sugar... I get it! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:10pm
post #311 of 568

Sarsi,

You silly girl. I can't belive you would want to change the name of something as good as blackened chicken. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #312 of 568

People grill fruit all the time and sometimes use wood chips in the grill. I think 100 years ago maybe they just didn't call it caramelizing so burnt sugar was appropriate! It's interesting to think how it all got started. Could have been a mistake that turned out great!

Sarsi Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:14am
post #313 of 568

Yeah, Its like...just a glorified name for BURNT CHICKEN!! LOL icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:37am
post #314 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

People grill fruit all the time and sometimes use wood chips in the grill. I think 100 years ago maybe they just didn't call it caramelizing so burnt sugar was appropriate! It's interesting to think how it all got started. Could have been a mistake that turned out great!

Hey, seriously, think about how many culinary 'greats' started as accidents! That is no lie! Sometimes it's just creativity, but more often than not it's something that gets screwed up and then people go... "Hey... that was good. I'd eat that again on purpose!" icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:55am
post #315 of 568

That's how the molten chocolate cake started! icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #316 of 568

See, exactly! That's what I'm talking about!! thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:13am
post #317 of 568

Thats the story behind a pb cup to,Or How pb and choc came together anyway !

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #318 of 568

This is not an edible cookie recipe, but I let me kids make these every year for Christmas.

Christmas Ornament Dough

1 C Water
1 C Salt
3 C Flour

Knead until smooth ( very long time) Roll out some of the dough about 1/4 in thick. Use floured cookie cutters to make the shape you desire. Cut paper clips in half and push 1/2 into top of each shape to make a hook. Bake on a cookie sheet in 225 degree for 1-1 1/2 hrs. Aftr the cookies are completely cooled, paint them if desired. Let dry, and dip them in a high gloss varnish.

GrandmaG Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:27pm
post #319 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Thats the story behind a pb cup to,Or How pb and choc came together anyway !

Are you pulling our leg? Or are you making a commercial? icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:28pm
post #320 of 568

Yeah Fiddle, Dish!!!! icon_lol.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:42pm
post #321 of 568

OK you all have never heard the story ( old wifes tale)about how someone mixed some pb and choc together, by adding the wrong ingred? I mean thats the story the two were mixed together by picking up the wrong ingred and everyone fell in love with it . I heard the same story about choc( then pieces ) being added to cookies to then become choc chips ( not left over crumbled pieces) cookies ! How someone aded the little pieces of broke off choc from ( I dont know what ) to cookie dough and it became choc chip cookies ! I dont know how to look that stuff up but there is I guees maybe a legend like that !

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #322 of 568

And NO I have NOT been hitting the Brandy bottle from my fruit cakes ! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Those stories have been around for ever !
I know Im NOT the only gramma aged member here ! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif
Im sure somewhere theres someone else thats heard these stories ! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:03pm
post #323 of 568

Of course you are the only gramma-aged person here! Image Making up such things to tease the younguns... Image tsk, tsk,tsk - So sad, so sad. Image
(I knew about the chocolate chip cookie, and the molten chocolate cakes, but not the peanut butter cups.)
Me sitting here having fun ---Image

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:11pm
post #324 of 568

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

GrandmaG Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:12pm
post #325 of 568

7yyrt, I love your icons! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #326 of 568

Actually the chocolate chip cookie was invented at the Tollhouse Inn. That's where the chips got their name.

"The invention of chocolate chip cookies is often credited to Ruth Wakefield. With her husband, Wakefield ran the Tollhouse Inn in Massachusetts. The common story goes that Wakefield, who often made food for her guests, decided to make a chocolate butter cookie but didnât have enough chocolate bars to produce one. Instead she chopped up the bars and added them to the butter cookie recipe.

The chocolate chip cookies were an immediate success, and became known as Tollhouse cookies. They became so popular, that Nestles Chocolate Company purchased the recipe with the rights to print the recipe on its semi-sweet chocolate bars. In exchange, Wakefield received free chocolate for life. At that point there still were not chips in chocolate chip cookies, but instead the cookies had chunks of chopped chocolate."

Fiddle, we know our chocolate history, don't we? thumbs_up.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:46pm
post #327 of 568

Yep Mel we sure do! icon_rolleyes.gif
I have heard that story to. That must be where the story I heard about the choc not being chips but choc pieces came from. Of course it had nothing to do with tollhouse when I read it icon_rolleyes.gif
But you know those Urban(?) kind of stories that go around icon_lol.gif
Like now is the time of yr for LIZZY BORDEN icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #328 of 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Like now is the time of yr for LIZZY BORDEN icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

icon_confused.gif Uh... help me out here? What?

GrandmaG Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #329 of 568

Ah Fiddle, we just tease ya because you're so much fun! icon_smile.gif
Working on that darn jack-o-lantern cake finally! The mock sugarveil didn't work for the spider web so on to another idea. icon_confused.gif I wish I had the real stuff. That looks like so much fun to work with.

Melvira Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:37pm
post #330 of 568

Yah, I just didn't get the Lizzy Borden reference. Am I missing something?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%