Stacking Sheet Cake - Do I Dowel?

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 12:50am by Deb_

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hi -

I'm am stacking a 9x13 sheet on top of a 12x18 sheet. Do I need to dowel at all? Do I need to have a cardboard under the 9x13 or just sit it right on top? This cake is for birthday party tomorrow. Please help quick.... icon_eek.gif

4 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 5

Yes and Yes!! I would put cardboard under the 9X13 and I would put dowels in to support it. Better safe that sorry! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

I personally would be fine with no cardboard and no dowels. I've done these before and they were fine. If you made a 2-layer 10" round cake, you probably wouldn't carboard and dowel it. This is the same thing except they are rectangle.

But you need to do whatever is best for your comfort level.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 5

I'm with Indy Debi, no dowels or cardboard. 2 layer is normal for round, why not square, rectangle etc. any taller than two layers yes and maybe if torted with whipping cream I might dowel. I quite often dowel my double layer rounds if torted or filled with rasp. I put one single straw or dowel right in the middle.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:50am
post #5 of 5

If both cakes are torted and filled than yes I would put the dowels and place the smaller cake on a cakeboard.

If you are just treating it as another layer than no I would not, but remember for serving purposes it would be less messy if the top cake were on it's own board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%