Having Trouble Obtaining Dark Enough Color....help Please!

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm by Deb_

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 9

I need a dark wine/burgandy BC color. I used an entire bottle of Wilton's Burgandy gel color to 1 recipe (2lb conf. sug) BC. It still isn't dark enough. Before I go out and buy another bottle of gel colorant is there another color that I can add to get it darker? I'm hoping it will darken as time goes on. I don't need it til Sunday.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Deb

8 replies
UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 9

HTH - I've started by making the Chocolate BC recipe to use less coloring. Works really well for Black.

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 9

It should definitely darken, but you can always add some black to get the right tint.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 9

I will be interested in other replies to this one. I have had problems myself. It seems if I add enough to get the deep color I want, It disturbs the integrity of the icing whether it be BC or RI. The last time I wanted burgundy RI roses, I resorted to making the roses pink, letting them dry and airbrushing on the color I really wanted. Sorry I couldn't be a help.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 9

I have used cocoa powder in my BC to darken reds before. Just add a little at a time. The frosting ends up tasting really good too! icon_smile.gif

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 9

Don't forget that the color darkens over time too. I would probably add a little dark brown. You could use actual cocoa if your icing is thinning from all the coloring, or mix in choc BC, or use brown gel color.

Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone......I don't have any black at home either icon_sad.gif I'm gonna let it sit over night and than add some cocoa powder like you guys suggested.)

Yeah, the overall texture/taste has definitely been compromised with this batch because of all the colorant. I'm only using it for piping on some scrolls so thankfully there won't be much on each serving. I've added extra vanilla to help the taste and I think the cocoa will help too.

Thanks again for all the tips, I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

Deb

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 9

Sounds like you made *way!* too muchicon_sad.gif
You should have taken out about 1/4 to 1/3 and just colored that.
But I bet by now it is already darkening for you.

Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 9

I actually need this for 2 cake orders, one of which is for next Friday so I figured since I was making it I'd make it all at once and freeze or refrigerate half for next week. One cake is a 3 tier and the other is 4 tiers, that's why I made the 2lb recipe. At last check it's darkened quite a bit on it's own icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%