Help - Is This Cake To Plain?

Decorating By Unisteph Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 1:43am by Unisteph

Unisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unisteph Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone-
Let me first start by saying that I am in awe of all of you!! You are all very very talented! I am a newbie to this site although I have been browsing for a few weeks. I am no where near the level of decorating that most of you are but I enjoy it none the less icon_biggrin.gif . You can see some of my cakes by looking in my file.
We are having a combined 30th & 40th birthday party for my sisters tomorrow night. It is kind of a luau/cocktail theme. I made two sheets cakes (one for each of them). They will be side by side on the cake table. I just feel that they are missing something and look plain. I added some sugar sprinkles to them but they still seem blah. thumbsdown.gif I wanted to border to resemble a lei ( I saw some ideas on this site) and then I added the fruity cocktail to the top but it just seems like its missing something. Should I add more flowers on the top or would that be over kill?
I usually jsut do cakes for family so this is the first time anyone outsiders will be seeing my work. Pretty scary!!! Any suggestions or ideas or should I just leave them as is.
LL
LL

8 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 9

If you'll look at the sailor hat photo in my gallery, I have a wavy "frame" around the perimeter of the top. You may try something like that. It helps to fill in space and looks nice too. I do it with a basketweave tip.

BTW- your cakes look nice. Keep up the good work.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 9

Well they look good to me (the borders are nice and colorful), but if you feel they are too plain you could add some things near the base of the glasses to represent the tabletop. Scatter some flowers or a drink umbrella, something like that.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 9

I could only see one of the cakes..but I think that it's super cute!

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 9

I don't have any suggestions for the cakes, but I just want you to know that I think they look great. icon_biggrin.gif

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 9

I don't have any suggestions for the cakes, but I just want you to know that I think they look great. icon_biggrin.gif

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 9

I think the drink umbrella idea by 7yyrt is great. Right at the base of the glass between the glass and the wording would be the perfect touch. Not too much, and not too little. They are nice and colorful and very cute.

BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 9

I think they are adorable!!!! Very simple and very nice!

Unisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unisteph Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:43am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions, I think I will try the umbrellas and go from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%