Can You Freeze Cupcakes?

Baking By CakesbyBecca Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm by Ro40

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 14

I want to make about 50 cupcakes for Bible Study on Thursday, but I really don't feel like spending all day Wednesday making them. I would rather spread it out a bit. Can I make the cupcakes early in the week and freeze them? If so, how do I wrap them so they don't dry out?

13 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 14

Sure can, cover them up with plastic wrap and place in ziplock bag and into the freezer.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 14

Do you wrap each cupcake individually with plastic wrap? Or just together as a group?

Thanks!!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 14

Yeah...each wrapped separately? I need to find this info out this week as well. Thanks for asking!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 14

When you freeze the cupcakes, do they separate from the liner when they thaw? (I have to do 400 for a wedding so I am incredibly interested in answers to these questions!!!)

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 14

no need to wrap individually, I usually do 6 per wrapped in saran and put into ziplock with air squeezed out they defrost great- I have not had any problems with linings seperating

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you so much for answering our questions!

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:52am
post #8 of 14

I just made 48 cupcakes for my son's house warming party.
I put half of them in a big cake box and half in a big plastic cake carrier. I just put two layers of saran wrap over all the cupcakes and that's it. They were in the freezer almost a week. I took them out the day before I wanted to frost them and didn't touch them until the next day so the moisture would stay off them. THEY WERE AWESOME. icon_smile.gif
Susie

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you so much for the info! I decided to wait until Wednesday to bake and do them all at once, and then found out this morning that it's supposed to be in the 90s again on Wednesday. GRRR! I should have gone the freezing route icon_confused.gif

Another quick question. Can you freeze them filled, or do you have to fill them after they've been thawed?

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:41am
post #10 of 14

Another quick question. Can you freeze them filled, or do you have to fill them after they've been thawed?[/quote]

Oh yeah, I need to know this too. I was asked to do a cake and was told the caterer was going to make the cc for 300 ppl. I was good with that then today, I was told I'm to bake the cc and do the cake. I don't know if I'll have enough freezer space.

Also, any inexpensive ideas for transporting this many cc? I want to make sure the frosting doesn't get messed up.

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:44am
post #11 of 14

Sorry had another question I forgot to add.......When you defrost the cc do you brush with simple syrup or are they still moist enough without?

I haven't had success in the past but I was baking from scratch. Since discovering the WASC recipe, I always use it as a base now and just switch up flavoring.

ElinJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElinJ Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #12 of 14

It's best to stay on the safe side and don't freeze them filled.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 8:41pm
post #13 of 14

I haven't had any problem with them drying out after freezing, sometimes I actually find them moister.

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #14 of 14

I freeze all my cupcakes. I usually put them in bakery boxes (without a window) and wrap the box in saran wrap. I have frozen cupcakes for weeks. I take them out the day I am going to frost them and let the get to room temperature for at least an hour. As far as transporting them, I use the cupcake boxes and holders from www.brpboxshop.com
It makes transportation great, because the cupcakes do not move around. I do have to trim the inserts down, because they are high and my cupcakes do not have a huge muffin top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%