Cake Glaze Then Fondant....

Baking By ladybug76 Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 12:52am by MacsMom

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hello... I have what I hope isn't a silly question. icon_redface.gif Generally, I bake and decorate my cakes within 2-3 days of delivery, but I have 3 cakes coming up next week and would like to cover them a few days before, but I am worried about the cakes getting dry. I've read in several cake books to cover cake in glaze prior to covering in fondant to help keep moist. Here's my question.... one of the cakes is chocolate cake / peanut butter filling but all the glaze recipes I have seen call for apricot preserves. Wouldn't you taste the fruit in the cake??? Does anyone have any glaze recipes which taste "neutral" so to keep the cake moist but not 'monkey' with the flavor??? Thanks so much!! icon_smile.gif
~ Jaime

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 4

apricot glaze IS VERY neutral that's why most recipes call for it! do a taste test, get a small hunk of cake, put on the preserves and then some fondant I bet you won't detect it. But if you don't wanna do that, what about just doing a simple syrup on the cakes?? equal parts of sugar and water, bring it to a boil ( i do it in the microwave) you just need to dissolve the sugar, then allow it to cool and brush it on the cake, nice and moist

Honestly though, if you cover it in fondant that alone would keep the moisture in the cakes. Are you putting on any frosting under the fondant??

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 4

Yes, I put a think layer of frosting on my cakes, then cover in fondant. Since I was hoping to put the cakes together about 3-4 days prior to delivery, would they still stay moist? I usually run around like a wild, crazed cake lady the day or two before delivery so they are fresh tasting.
Thanks for all your help!
~Jaime

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 4

It may depend on the recipe, but I use the WASC (variations change with cake flavor) and bake my cakes 6 days in advance.

I usually have them assembled and crumb-coated by Tue, covered in fondant Wed, and then in and out of the fridge to decorate them for a Sat delivery.

I always get comments on how moist they are! (No simple syrup or glaze).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%