How To Do This In Fondant? Please Look Thanks!

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 7:40am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 23

I'm going to make a plaque with this name and in this font in fondant. how should I go about it?

This is the actual size btw.

I was thinking maybe making a stencil and cutting it out? will that work?

any help would be appreciated thanks!

22 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 23

You could do a frozen transfer too.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 23

You could roll the fondant into a very thin snake and lay it onto the writing. just shape the fondant over top each letter so that it matches the word. then let dry so you can handle the letters to put on your cake.

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 23

Similar to what Shadowgypsie said but instead of rolling into a snake, I used a clay extruder so it looks more uniformed. You can try that... Here is what I did...

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:13am
post #5 of 23

Thanks guys. i'll try the snake since i don't have a clay extruder.

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 23

Sorry my reply didn't make sense!! I missed the part where you said you were doing it with fondant. Guess I should read better! That's what I get for multi-tasking!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysuann

Sorry my reply didn't make sense!! I missed the part where you said you were doing it with fondant. Guess I should read better! That's what I get for multi-tasking!!

icon_biggrin.gif it's okay. i do that a lot too icon_biggrin.gif

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 23

I don't have any great advice, but I LOVE the font! What is it, if you don't mind my asking? So cute!

Good luck with your lettering. icon_biggrin.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 23

If I was going to do that I would make a stencil on an acetate sheet and roll the fondant pretty thin and use a craft knife to cut it out or use edible markers to draw the stencil onto the fondant and let if sit for a while but not get too hard then use a scissors to cut it out.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 23

It might be better to use gumpaste if you want to stencil it out.

But it looks like it would be easy enough to roll snakes--thicker on one end--to match the font.

If the name will be propped up, mix in 50% gumpaste so it will dry hard enough.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 23

Totally agree with everyone! 50/50 gumpaste fondant - roll into snakes and let dry.

I would LOVE to know what font that is also!

Good luck - I would love to see the finished product too!

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 23

I learned something new.

I would use gumpaste instead of fondant as MacsMom suggested.

You can find a clay extruder at Michael's or AC Moore, it's like 9 dollars or half of that if you have a coupon.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 23

yea...I'm with carmenid. I have tried and tried to do 50/50 gumpaste/fondant and my letters never dry hard enough for me to prop up. I am in a humid climate for most of the summer...but I just find that the gumpaste would probably work better doing the snake letters.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 23

The best one that I found is at Hobby Lobby - Makin Clay Ultimate - I think its 24 - but you can get it 40% off with a coupon. I love mine and use it ALL the time!

demcdani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
demcdani Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 23

I have done stand up numbers and ended up putting them in the oven on the lowest temp for a few hours. The 50/50 mixture dried hard as a rock in no time (well a few hours anyway!)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:32am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashablueyes

I don't have any great advice, but I LOVE the font! What is it, if you don't mind my asking? So cute!

Good luck with your lettering. icon_biggrin.gif

it's akaFrivolity. you can get it on dafont.com. i love that site for fonts! icon_smile.gif

The letters won't stand up on their own, I'm gonna "stick" them to a plaque so it will be propped up.

don't have a Michael's or any store around here that sells clay guns icon_sad.gif am not in the US.

am gonna try to make a stencil and let's see how it goes. icon_smile.gif

demcdaci, i'm so scared of doing that. will it melt? do you put it on top of wax paper first? thanks!

demcdani Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:18am
post #17 of 23

I just placed mine on parchment paper. The temp is only about 150 I think so it just dries it without melting. Do a test piece if you are worried, just make a funky shape and put it in to dry and see what you think. I needed the cake for the next day and knew the numbers would never be dry in time, so I just tried it and it worked great. May not be the ideal but worked in a pinch.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #18 of 23

you know...I've tried the whole "in the oven on a low temp" thing. well...I have an electric oven and the lowest it would go was 200 degrees...yes, it melted the fondant. I think normally what people say to do "IF you are in a time crunch" to put your piece on the parchment paper with the light on in your oven. the small heat from the light bulb is what will dry your piece out...really, you only want to do this when in a time crunch. When I did it...I didn't think it helped much...because the lady said that her number had broken before everyone got there. just my opinion and thoughts on that. icon_smile.gif

good luck!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:24pm
post #19 of 23

thanks demcdani and steponmi! icon_biggrin.gif

am too tired to do the letters now. will probably do them tomorrow. hopefully they will dry. the party is in the evening LOL

demcdani Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #20 of 23

Good luck, let us see how it turns out.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:43pm
post #21 of 23

hey everyone! i did the cake and the lettering. i didn't have time so i just made snake-y shapes and tried to copy the font as best as i can and stuck it on the cake.

This is my first fondant cake ever. i had so much trouble and so many mistakes LOL but i think it turned out okay.

Thanks everyone!

demcdani Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:35am
post #22 of 23

Looks good for a first time. Your letters turned out fine.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:40am
post #23 of 23

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%