Cupcake Newbie Questions

Baking By CakesbyBecca Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm by cylstrial

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:14am
post #1 of 8

I've been doing cakes for a few months now and was asked for a quote on cupcakes, which I haven't done much. So now I have some questions.
1. When making cupcakes, do you use the same recipes as for a cake, or do you alter it a bit? I have a GREAT recipe for a dark chocolate cake, but it's really runny and don't know how it would do in cupcake liners.
2. How full do you fill the cupcake pan to end up with a good size cupcake?
3. How do you get the cupcakes out of the pan without decapitating them?

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I will have many more questions in the near future.

7 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:51am
post #2 of 8

hi! icon_smile.gif
1. you can use the same recipes.
2. i use an ice cream scooper or disher. that way they're all uniform.
3.you put the liners in, pour the batter and bake. they are easy to remove with the liners.

HTH

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:12am
post #3 of 8

I always use the same recipes....it shouldn't matter, you're just making mini cakes instead of one large one. I use a measuring cup so that way, they all have the same amount of batter in them. To get them out, I let them cool for a few minutes, like 5 maybe then either use a spoon to get them out, or just turn the pan upside down and dump them out. If you use liners they won't break apart or anything.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:57am
post #4 of 8

amoos, i've been known to burn my fingers getting them out LOL thanks for the tip about the spoon. never thought of that. icon_smile.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 8

The BIGGEST difference, for me, is the oven temp. For cupcakes I bake at 350. A neat trick I learned from the massive cupcake thread is to heat your oven to 400 and then drop the temp to 350 after you stick the cupcakes in the oven- makes them dome beautifully.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyBecca

I've been doing cakes for a few months now and was asked for a quote on cupcakes, which I haven't done much. So now I have some questions.
1. When making cupcakes, do you use the same recipes as for a cake, or do you alter it a bit? I have a GREAT recipe for a dark chocolate cake, but it's really runny and don't know how it would do in cupcake liners.
2. How full do you fill the cupcake pan to end up with a good size cupcake?
3. How do you get the cupcakes out of the pan without decapitating them?

Thanks for your help! I'm sure I will have many more questions in the near future.

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know too!! I was gonna post a thread about it today but you beat me! icon_lol.gif

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you soooo much! That really helps. Now I need to go make some cupcakes icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 8

ChefJulie, thanks for the comment about having the oven at 400 and then dropping it to 350 to make them dome beautifully! That is a great tip that I never knew! I just love CC!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%