Sprinkles!! Is There A Trick?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm by joy5678

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

How do you all get sprinkles to stick to the side of your cake?? icon_cry.gif Wanted them to be thick so I tried several different ways today & laughed because I thought, there has got to be an easier way. I'm sure that you will tell me something very simple and then I'll kick myself in the rumpus for not thinking of it. I must say though, I have a very sprinkled sparkley floor now! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:32am
post #2 of 6

I've always wondered the same thing. Both about sprinkles and nuts. How in the world do you coat the whole sides of a cake??

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:49am
post #3 of 6

At work we fill, frost just the sides and chill. The we turn the whole thing on it's side and roll it in a pile of the sprinkles/nuts/crumbs while supporting it well with our palms. The turn it back upright and place of prepared platter, frost the top and that is it.

Sadly it does not work if the filling is too runny, or there are more than 3-4 layers, so we kinda scoop it on with our hands and press and just do it over and over. It can be a pain.

I know some very big bakeries have these tub-like containers that they set the cake in, frosted only where they want the sprinkles and kinda scoop them over the whole thing (but there are usually many many cups worth).

I know I have had a heck of a time with it, especially with chocolate shavings, which even with gloves get melty very fast.

I would love to hear the advice and tips from some of the pros!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:56am
post #4 of 6

I do what sadiepix does by rolling the side of the cake through the sprinkles, etc. (I also experience the same problems with chocolate shavings melting.) icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:15am
post #5 of 6

Right after frosting the cake (in other words, if you are using a crusting icing, do not wait for it to crust), hold the cake on the palm of one hand, tilting ever so slightly over a tray or parchment sheet filled with the coating (nuts, sprinkles, etc). Take handfuls and press them on the side fo the cake letting the excess fall back onto the try.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips----guess I'll have to plan ahead of time for the sprinkles. I decided to do it after I had already stacked 2 tiers. Flying by the seat of my pants doesn't always work! Any other suggestions welcomed for those of us who "do" first and "think" later. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%