Jello In Cake Mix?

Baking By 3boysmama Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 4:53am by CarolAnn

3boysmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3boysmama Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 18

I was contemplating putting a small box of strawberry jello in a boxed Strawberry cake mix... has anyone ever tried this?

17 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #2 of 18

I have done that, just add some extra liquid (about a 1/2 cup extra I think it was) and an extra egg.

I did that a lot at the nursing home I worked at as we only got 2 flavors of cake mix and I liked to make other flavors and colors for fun(and we had to use them, low-sugar/salt kind, much as I would rather have done scratch.)

I treat it just like as box of pudding that you would add, just some more liquid and it works great! Pretty colors too!
HTH

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 18

I've done it with blue jello for my son's blues clues cake. I didn't add anything extra. I just sprinkled the jello into the cake mix until I got the color and taste I wanted. It turned out good. Of course I have a very bad habit of not measuring things. That is probably why I'm a much better cook than I am a baker icon_rolleyes.gif .

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 18

I've done it with blue jello for my son's blues clues cake. I didn't add anything extra. I just sprinkled the jello into the cake mix until I got the color and taste I wanted. It turned out good. Of course I have a very bad habit of not measuring things. That is probably why I'm a much better cook than I am a baker icon_rolleyes.gif .

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 18

I've done it, but I don't think you will need an entire box...... just sprinkle and stir and taste until you get the look and taste you want...... you can save the rest for another cake, or put some in the icing......... It is GOOD !

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 18

I've used the strawberry jello in a straw. cake, also added about 1/2 cup of pureed real strawberries....turned out SUPER YUMMY!!!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 18

My strawberry cake recipe is a White mix with strawberry jello and pureed frozen strawberries plus the extender. I just made one yesterday to complete rave reviews.

I think that adding it to an already strawberry flavored cake might make it a little overkill....but that is just me.

Stephanie

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 18

Hey, I never thought about doing this!! I've been wanting a good recipe for strawberry cake that starts with a white mix.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 18

I have used a recipe for strawberry cake which includes a box of strawberry Jello. I found the cake way too sweet, but it had a very pretty pink colour.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Hey, I never thought about doing this!! I've been wanting a good recipe for strawberry cake that starts with a white mix.

I have posted my complete recipe in the recipe section. I think it is easy strawberry cake from a mix or something like that.

Stephanie

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 18

I tried orange JellO in one cake and cherry JellO in another cake - both were so weird!! The texture is almost rubbery. And way too sweet IMO.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 18

My recipe calls for :
-white cake mix
-strawberry jello (small box)
-1 cup finely chopped strawberries
-3/4 c. milk
-3/4 c. oil
4 large eggs

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 18

It's super yummy to make the straw. cake w/ jello, etc. into cake balls then roll in dark chocolate. Almost like a choc. covered strawberry in the middle of winter! icon_smile.gif

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:00am
post #14 of 18

I tried a strawberry jell-o cake recipe and found the cake to be very "gummy." It was a pretty color, but not something that I would try again. Perhaps it was the particular recipe I used because it seems like others get better results.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #15 of 18

Hmm... I tried adding lime jello to a cake once hoping to get a lime cake and I ended up with a lime brick. The layers were half as tall as usual and had an unpleasant texture. Anyone care to guess what I managed to screw up? icon_confused.gif I wanted it to work, because WOW that would open up a whole lot of potential flavors!

friendtilthend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friendtilthend Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:15am
post #16 of 18

I have tried it a different way. First you make the cake like you would do it any other time. Then you prepare the jello with 1 cup less water. When the cake is done let it sit and when it is cooled you poke holes in it then pour the jello in it and refridgerate for about 1 - 2 hours. It comes out great. It was my favorite as a little girl. My mom used to make it. It doesn't come out too sweet either. The great thing is you can add as much as you would like.

bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #17 of 18

just to change the subject slightly, can anyone tell me if you can add jelly to BC? and if so do you sprinkle or make the jelly first and then add to BC?

sounds like an experiment coming on!! icon_rolleyes.gif

thanks
bakerchick

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:53am
post #18 of 18

steady2hands has a strawberry cake (with a 5 star rating) in the recipes section that is easy and absolutely delicious. I made it Saturday for the top tier of my MIL's 85th b-day cake. I wanted another flavor besides the wasc I made for the bottom. Boy was the strawberry cake a hit! I made strawberry cream cheese filling (next time I'll use strawberry cream cheese to begin with) and iced with bc like the other cake. It was very moist but easy to handle to tort and fill. I used only a thin layer of filling and man was it good. I sifted the jello into the cake mix and added the other ingredients as directed. I'm excited to have found such a delicious strawberry recipe finally! I have nothing negative to report. When done it was baked nicely through and not gooey at all. Watch it because it's going to take longer to bake than you might expect, but mine baked up very nicely. Nice texture, great flavor, pretty coloring. My family said I can make that again any time. Yum!

I'd try and add the link but afraid I'll mess up and lose this content in the process. I can mess anything up here it seems. So go check it out.

Thank you steady2 hands!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%