My First Paid Cake Is Finished!

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm by CakesbyBecca

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 8

After a week full of nerves, questions and self-doubt, I have finished my very first paid order. I can't seem to attach it, but it's the first one in my photos. I've done orders at cost before, but this one is my first "real" order. 3 layer 8" round, dark chocolate with mocha buttercream filling and covered in chocolate ganache. The decorations are colored candy melts.
Special thanks to CakeDiva73 for her advice and referral to the Whimsical Bakehouse book from where I drew this idea and tweaked it a bit. BTW, The Whimsical Bakehouse is a GREAT book. I've decided to buy it so I don't have to keep hogging the library copy I've been using.
I welcome any constructive criticism and have a few questions.
1. When covering a cake with ganache, is it best to cool the ganache in the fridge for awhile so it doesn't run everywhere and cling to every nook and cranny? If you refrigerate it, does it lose its shine?
2. How much should I have charged for this cake? I know. I know. It depends on location, but on average, what should I, as a rookie, charge for this?
3. What should I have put the cake on? I don't really care for the cardboard doily I used, but I didn't really want to spend an extra $4 for one of the nicer boards.
Thanks in advance for all your comments/advice!

7 replies
CakesbyBecca Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 8

Bumping, hoping for some answers to my questions.

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 8

I would probably charge about $30-35 for it.

Good Job!!

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 8

I would charge 35-40 dollars..
and I never worked with ganache frosting, so I don't know the answer...

mommytmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytmk Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 8

I would charge $40.00. As far as frosting with ganache, I usually let it cool completely before frosting. It does loose some shine, but not all of it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 8

I cover my boards with wrapping paper or scrap book paper to match the occasion then clear contact paper. Ir's inexpensive and looks so much better then bare cake circles. HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 8

I agree w/the $40 price groupicon_smile.gif I thnk you did a great job on it.
Three 2" layers is about the same as making a single layer 14" round or a 12x16 (or1icon_cool.gif sheet pan- same amount (or more!) of cake plus filling.
What woould you charge for a 1/2 sheet?

CakesbyBecca Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 8

I did originally charge her $40, then reduced it to $35. I know. I know. I shouldn't have. Oh, well. Live and learn icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%