Tres Leches Cake Question...

Decorating By cocobean Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 12:27am by MariaLovesCakes

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 8

I'm having an international potluck dinner at my house tomorrow night. I'm making the desert (Tres Leches cake). Is this kind of cake best when made the day of, or the day before the party? Any one have experience with this cake? Thanks inadvance!!! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
judylynnturner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judylynnturner Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 8

I like to make it the day of, simply because I feel the cake becomes too mushy with the milk if made the day before...

My hubby thinks it is better made the day before because the flavors meld together so much nicer...

I think it is a personal choice...

Yazmin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yazmin Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 8

If the cake is for Saturday, I start baking the cake and pour the milk on Thursday. On Friday, I put the filling and the frosting. You have to find a good sponge cake recipe so the milk won't come out of the cake. Let the cake rest so the flavors melt together. Tip: If the cake is for adults add a little bit of Irish Cream or rum to the milk.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 8

The cake will absorb more of the liquid and be less mushy if you make it at least a day ahead and let it sit in the fridge after you pour the milks on it.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 8

I meant to add that I prefer making it at least a day ahead, the longer it sits the better it tastes.

jadex77x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadex77x Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 8

when i make it i let it sit a day and 1/2 uncovered in the fridged after adding the milks. do you already have a recipe for the "sponge" ? reason i ask is cuz the first time i made it ... ... ... the cake floated on the milk mix for 2 days! but i did come up with a very nice dense cake that soaks up the mix nicely. ill share the recipe if interested . good luck.!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:17am
post #7 of 8

Cocobean do you have a good recipe for cake and milk topping, because I have one that is from a well known chef in an authenic mexican restaurant in Texas known as "Fonda San Miguel." If your interested I'll post recipe if interested.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

I'm having an international potluck dinner at my house tomorrow night. I'm making the desert (Tres Leches cake). Is this kind of cake best when made the day of, or the day before the party? Any one have experience with this cake? Thanks inadvance!!! icon_smile.gif

The longer it stands, the better. Some people put more milk in it, some less.

I put less on mine than what the recipe calls for. I don't like mine drenched in the milks because it becomes too mushy, like someone else mentioned. But you can soak it really good and then just leave it overnight or even a couple of days before the potluck. Its really yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%