Amount Of Filling Per Layer

Decorating By angief Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm by janelwaters

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 14

Can anyone help me find a chart that tells how much filling (in cups) you need per layer? I'm doing square layers, but would like a chart that shows all shapes for future reference. I tried doing a search but all the sites that came up are no longer available.

Thanks for any help you can give!

13 replies
GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 14

I would like to know that too. I suppose it's personal preference. I was watching Amazing Wedding Cakes last night and one of them put like an inch of filling in each one of her layers!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 14

I would also like the answer to this question!! Who has the answer?? TIA

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 14

There's a very good chart in the Cake Bible.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 14

Martha Stewart has one in her Wedding Cakes Book.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 14

How do you get that much filling to stay in the cake- mine always squishes out the sides..... even with the dam.

I saw on Martha Stewart weddings - ron ben isreal (totally can't spell!) cut into his cake and I swear the filling layer was thick as the cake layer - how do you do that! it looked AMAZING!

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:58am
post #7 of 14

Does anyone know if there is a website with this info on it? Unfortunately, I don't have either of those books. I guess I may take a trip to the library.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

I saw on Martha Stewart weddings - ron ben isreal (totally can't spell!) cut into his cake and I swear the filling layer was thick as the cake layer

I, too, prefer to make my cake layers and filling layers equal. It looks much nicer when the cake is cut and makes it SOOOO much tastier! lol

Edited to add: I should note that I obviously always torte my cakes (it's what I was taught in culinary school, and to me, un-torted cakes just never have a high enough filling to cake ratio)... I could never put THAT much filling between two 2" layer cakes! LOL

janelwaters Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 14

How do you get that much filling to stay in the cake and not squish out the sides???

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 14

Do you always fill with frosting then? I would think with some fillings, such as fruit, or custard types, that it would be a bit much.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 14

Actually, I rarely fill with frosting. Most often I use mousses, but I use all sorts of creams, custards, fruit fillings, etc. If the filling is VERY soft/loose, I pipe a dam of frosting, but I also pipe 1-2 concentric circles of buttercream for support and fill in the gaps with my filling (think of a bullseye/target). For fruit-filled cakes I usually use thinner layers of cake, but more of them, of course (instead of baking in a regular cake pan and torting extra thin, however, in this case I'll usually bake my cakes in thin layers (think jelly roll), and cut them using a cake ring and stack them in the cake ring. In these cases, each cake layer is usually only 1/4"-1/2" thick, but obviously I would use more of these layers to build the cake. I also use this method for fragile cakes that don't bake up well in a standard pan.

janelwaters Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 14

even when I pipe a damn of frosting, or even if i fill with frosting - it always squishes out the sides - what the heck am I doing wrong???

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 14

Interesting info pinkziab.

Janel is your border/dam lower than your filling and it is rising over it?

janelwaters Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 14

basically the border ends up squishing out and then the filling comes next!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%