The Nerve!!! (Long)

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 14

so my dh and I have insurance through a company like Aflac, but it is NOT that company so don't get me wrong, don't know how that company works or what not, this is a different company altogether. Anyways, we signed up about three years ago through my workplace, not affiliated with my workplace, they just came through there to talk about it to us .. so I lost my job almost two years ago and we have paid the dues every single month without fail and then about two days ago we get a phone call from this company letting us know there have been changes in the policy and they need to discuss this with us, face to face.
So my dh handles the phone call letting them know I no longer work at that company and he does not work in the town we live in so can they tell us over the phone, .. no, they say it has to be face to face for HEPA law reasons, we're not real sure on this, but anyways, my dh tells them it can't be until next week to meet because I am going out of town this weekend, which is true, a mother daughter weekend get a way, anyways, they called late last night and we let the answering machine get it since we did not recognize the number, anyways, it was this company again letting us know they NEED to meet with us and it has to be face to face ... so I tell my dh I hope they don't just show up at our house .. he says, they don't know where we live, but then again, they do because its on our paperwork of course, so I'm outside on my front porch for a minute today, and I see this car drive by, nothing unusual, so I go back inside and head back through my house until I realize there is a car in my driveway, so I head back out to my front door and who do you think is walking up my porch steps! Two men from that car that just went by! I don't know what these two strange men were thinking, like I would just let them walk into my house, while I sit here ALONE by myself?? C'mon! But I guess it really just bothered me to think these guys would just show up, un-invited after we had told them that we could not meet until next week! Sorry this is so long but it just really steams me when people are so rude! I told them once again, we could not meet until next week but now this makes me want to cancel our policy altogether.

13 replies
redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 14

OMG are you kidding me - the nerve of some ppl!
I wouldn't have opened the door either. I have my kids "trained" to know to be quiet and not to look out the windows when someone rings our doorbell b/c I don't know who you are (I look in the peep hole if you aren't family or friends sorry charlie)

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 14

That would really freak me out! I hate for people to show up without a call first.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 14

Wow. That is very unsettling, as well as unprofessional. They should never have shown up uninvited. If it's so important, they could have said something over the phone, to at least let you know more specifically what it is pertaining to (so YOU can decide whether or not to change your plans to meet them sooner, not the other way around). I suggest calling a representative of that company, ask for a supervisor or manager, to find out if that is normal procedure for how they deal with their clients.

Good luck and I do hope this matter works out for you.

TheCakerator Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 14

thanks you guys, at least I know it's not just me! I think we will talk to a head man or supervisor. Talk about nervy.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:26am
post #6 of 14

WHAT?!?! That is insane and really odd. I'd call the company and put in a formal complaint, what nerve icon_surprised.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:15am
post #7 of 14

Most of those people are technically independent agents and they get paid every year when your policy renews. They are in the industy of being pushy - its the only way they make any money! DON'T GET ME WRONG What they did is absolutely rude and completely unacceptable.

You definately need to call and file a complaint and then ask for your policy to be transferred to another agent - teach that agent a lesson and hit him where it hurts - his wallet!

There is no way on earth that I would have answered the door either!

TheCakerator Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 14

my dh looked up the HEPA laws online, and it seems that companies use the HEPA laws as a way of forcing themselves in your face so that they can upgrade you to a bigger more $$$ product .. well, if that is what he thought he was going to accomplish ... he has another thing coming!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 14

HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. You can find useful information about it at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIPAA

It does seem really odd that they suddenly NEED to see you so urgently. I would definitely not see them by yourself nor without an appointment. I might recommend contacting the company directly, to see if these bozos are actually legitimate representatives of the company, or independent agents trying to get you to increase or switch plans.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 14

So did they bother to actually make the appointment for next week? Or just appeared on your steps?

TheCakerator Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 14

thank you redpanda, those links were very helpful. The thought of independent agents never crossed my mind .. I just assumed they would be with the company ...

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:03pm
post #12 of 14

You know this reminds me of a call I got here at work. A travel agency called claiming to be with this big trade show we're going to exhibiting at and called about housing. Well, I wasn't really thinking and started to make the reservation, but (luckily) didn't have my company card with me so I didn't finish the transaction. Then I looked online - official housing doesn't start until Oct. 1. I called the trade show ppl. to make sure and they said yup - OTHER travel agencies will call past exhibiting claiming they are with the trade show and say it's all urgent to make the reservation. Then when you read the fine print they charge you all these fines for their 'services'.

Something to think about.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 14

wow
they are lucky they didn't show up at our house.
We have a big sign on our gate that says
" No Trespassing, violators will be shot, survivors will be shot again".

It really works in keeping people we don't know out of the driveway.

The nerve.

TheCakerator Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #14 of 14

that's a pretty funny sign auryn, to bad we need that this day and age!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%