Whatcha Readin'?

Decorating By sweettoothmom Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm by sweettoothmom

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 12

Ok fellow CC'rs, I am curious what do you all read?
Specifically concerning baking.

American Cake decorating is the only mag I currently subscribe to.
Is there any other mags or publications that you all would suggest? I have learned so much from the CC forums and ACD's articles that I thought, perhaps there are more magazines available.

SO I am a sponge in need of "educational" soaking! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 12

I don't read any baking books. Just thumb through the new Wilton catalogs. icon_lol.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 12

I read alot of novels...and i like to collect cake decorating and baking books.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 12

I want to subscribe to American Cake Decorating magazine, and other than reading what's on CC; I search blogs to see what/how people are cooking and decorating.........it's very interesting............plus I go to the library and check out lots of recipe books and cake decorating books.......

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 12

I browse through some magazines looking at cake pictures for ideas. Last books I got were Confetti Cakes and Debbie Brown's Enchanted Cakes. Other then that not a "cake reader". I actually have an old Wilton Book (& yr books) and a Sugar Paste book I was going to list on ebay if anyone wants them.

I'm more interested in suspense and thriller. Loved Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, and Break No Bones.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 12

Oh yeah, and when I'm not perusing cook books, or making cakes, or playing with gum paste, I love love love Debbie Macomber's books!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 12

smartin40...that use to be my sign in at work smartin (S my first initial and Martin is my maiden name)...I know its irrelevant but when i first saw it I thought...'somebody logged in using my name lol'...I know i'm silly!!!

sweettoothmom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I browse through some magazines looking at cake pictures for ideas. Last books I got were Confetti Cakes and Debbie Brown's Enchanted Cakes. Other then that not a "cake reader". I actually have an old Wilton Book (& yr books) and a Sugar Paste book I was going to list on ebay if anyone wants them.

I'm more interested in suspense and thriller. Loved Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, and Break No Bones.

Loved Confetti cakes for step by step instruction on how to make the sugarpaste high heel shoes without an expensive mold. I have one of Debbie Browns first books too. I am not sure which one it is but there are a few very cute ideas in her book. I am not fond of her recipes though. They seem to sit "flat" on my taste buds thumbsdown.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivia

smartin40...that use to be my sign in at work smartin (S my first initial and Martin is my maiden name)...I know its irrelevant but when i first saw it I thought...'somebody logged in using my name lol'...I know i'm silly!!!

That is so funny! Loved it.

sweettoothmom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 12

I collect cook books of all kinds. I also love love love Laurell K Hamilton.

I was told by a friend that my name should have been Anita. I asked why and I was handed a book. In this book the heroine is very spunky and matches my physical description down to several scars (due to clumsiness not fighting vamps as the book describes). I believe there is 16 books in this series. I have only read the first 6. I actually just found out today that there is more in the series. No I have to go looking for the rest.

I love sci fi vamps etc.... HMMMMMMMM how could I combine Anita Blake and Cake?

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

Loved Confetti cakes for step by step instruction on how to make the sugarpaste high heel shoes without an expensive mold. I have one of Debbie Browns first books too. I am not sure which one it is but there are a few very cute ideas in her book. I am not fond of her recipes though. They seem to sit "flat" on my taste buds thumbsdown.gif

I don't use any of her recipes at all. I love the ones I've found on here. Everyone has great ideas and recipes.

sweettoothmom Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif

I agree. I dont kow if it just a cultural difference in the taste and texture of the recipes but the recipes on CC are definately the best ever!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%