New House, New Oven And Cakes Wont Rise! Aaaargh!

Decorating By kate_c Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 12:07pm by justducky

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:32am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to cake decorating (Grandma taught me all she knew, and I did a few cakes before doing my wedding cake 3 years ago which turned out surprisingly well! And have only done a few cakes since).

I recently did a 3d castle and 9 miniature princess cakes for my daughter's 2nd birthday princess party and my inlaws were so impressed that my sister in law asked me to do her daughters' birthday cakes for her, one 2 weeks ago and one this weekend. She wanted a large princess for the one 2 weeks ago (another princess theme), and I used a different cake recipe and the cake didn't rise. I thought it was the recipe's fault, so I have just done a practise for the one this weekend (I am doing cinderella's carriage using a soccerball tin - yes another damned princess theme!!!!!) but used an old tried and tested reliable recipe this time, and once again the cake has not risen. I am in a new house, using an oven that is new to me, so I was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this?

I appreciate your help!

3 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:58am
post #2 of 4

Hmmm I dunno, is it cooking? Is it cooking longer than usual or shorter? You could go to Lowe's and grab an oven thermometer, they are not expensive...and check that to see if the temp is too low or high.

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:54am
post #3 of 4

I just checked the oven and discovered the seal has broken away from the top, does that sound like it could be the culprit? It seems such a little thing to have such a big effect...

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 4

That could have a large effect. When we moved, I insisted we change out our "old" appliances for the newer ones at the new house. My husband thought I was crazy but I know my oven and I did not want to train a new oven icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%