1St Time With Edible Images

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:07am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone,

I have a wedding cake for next weekend that the bride has picked a cake with a number of black and white photos on it (her and her fiance). I have checked with my local grocery store and they can do the edible images for me (I don't have a printer). My question is how far in advance can I get these done and how do you store them? I hate leaving things like this until the very last minute....knowing my luck their printer won't be working next week when I need them done, so I was thinking of getting them done tomorrow or Friday, but I don't know if this is a good idea or not. Any suggestions? Also, any tips about using these would be great!

Thanks in advance!

9 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #2 of 10

As long as the images are kept in an airtight plastic bag they should be fine. I'd get one done first just to check then do the others. When you need them just pop them in the freezer for a minute then remove the backing and apply

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #3 of 10

You can have them done now. Just keep them in a ziplock (sealed) bag and dry until needed.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:25am
post #4 of 10

You could call kopykakes customer service department & ask them. Does the bakery have an answer?

deedee4420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deedee4420 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 10

I used edible images in the past and have had them for over 2 weeks in the plastic ziploc bag they came in and they were absolutely fine.

Just keep them dry and keep the images flat, I put the ziploc with the images into a large brown mailing envelope and slipped a stiff piece of cardboard under them to make sure they did not bend.

Good luck!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #6 of 10

Kept in a large ziplock with a cardboard under them so they dont flop around and kept cool I have kept them for a few weeks. I agree Even though I have my own Edible Image Printer I always print them out early Just in case there is any type of problem, I know they are ready to go !
And keep them out of the sun.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #7 of 10

One thing: heat and humidity are KILLERS for those things! My bakery is not air-conditioned and when it gets hot and humid I won't do edible images. They just won't peel off the paper. Make sure you do it in a cool area!!!! And, like everyone said, keep the bag sealed until you're ready to use it.

amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:49am
post #8 of 10

I was told when I first got my printer that the images could last for several months as long as you keep them sealed. And whatever you do, don't get them hot. icon_biggrin.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #9 of 10

I just wanted to add that I recently did a cake with 25 edible images on it. It does make for a very neat cake!
I agree that they'll keep a long time as long as they're flat and cool.
What I wanted to say though, is that be very careful placing them. You CANNOT move them once they're placed. They'll shred. If you even poke them a little once they're all the cake you'll tear right through them.

Good luck!

Jodie

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try to get them done today...one less thing to worry about!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%