What Do You Cover Your Cake Board With?

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 11:06pm by blue123

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 16

I am looking for ideas!
I have seen pretty boards matching the cake (color or theme)
It will also help if you tell me where to purchase this online.

15 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

I am looking for ideas!
I have seen pretty boards matching the cake (color or theme)
It will also help if you tell me where to purchase this online.

I use gift paper that's covered with contact paper. I also use cake board foil paper.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 16

I use cake drums, purchased from either CK or BakeryCrafts.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:32am
post #4 of 16

i think many use wrapping paper and then cover with food safe contact paper and also cover it with a matching color/theme fondant (that is my personal fav, i think it looks very clean and completes a cake)

topaz176 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:50am
post #5 of 16

Where do you purchase the food safe contact paper?

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:08am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

Where do you purchase the food safe contact paper?

oh, my understanding is that all contact paper is food safe. so you can just buy some clear contact paper at your local grocery store.

topaz176 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 16

Is this wall paper ??

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 16

No, contact paper is commonly used as a shelf liner. I've also used scrapbook papers to cover a board, then covered with contact paper.

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 16

no, its like drawer liner paper. its usually in the kitchen supplies here in the states. HTH

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 16

Its not wall paper its shelf liner I don't know if it is true but I though I seen it on this site that it was not food safe.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 16

It depends on what I am making, but I really like using thinned down RI and flooding the board with that. If you cover your board with foil first it is easy to clean up and re-use the board. You can get some nice effects swirling several colours together. If you look in my photos there are several RI boards, see the flame effect in the Darth Vader cake and the ocean effect on the Mermaid cake.

I sometimes also use fondant. You can get some good effects with inlays and textures, see my Sleeping Beauty cake and also the first Race Car cake.

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 16

I like to use fabric that matches my cake, and then I cover the fabric with clear vinyl. You can get that at Walmart for 97 cents for a very large peice. I find that there are so many fabric patterns, I can always find soemthing that looks good with the cake, and it really completes the whole theme.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 16

[duplicate post. sorry!]

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 16

Hi. I use different things, depending on the cake's design and/or the event. I use the foil wrap from cake/candy supply stores, thinned royal icing (looks nice by itself, but you can add accents and writing to enhance), and sometimes fondant.

I really like BakingGirl's ideas with swirling different colors, and abra526's use of fabric. I never thought of that, and look forward to trying it.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:03pm
post #15 of 16

I use contact plastic on my cake boards all the time. Just doing one now in fact. I have a big collection of wrapping paper, and sometimes use dress patterns, building plans, whatever suits the cake. I tape this to the board and cover it with the contact plastic. A lot of the time I get inspiration from whatever I use to cover the board, and people even ask how I managed to find board covering to match the cake!! hehe

As to how food safe it is... I can' t imagine it is any worse than many of the other things we use every day. I hope no-one who thinks its bad for you is using non stick pans to bake their cakes in! I heard that causes cancer too icon_rolleyes.gif

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:06pm
post #16 of 16

I use plastic tablecloths. Tons of colors and very inexpensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%