How Do I Attach A Fondant Swag To Buttercream?

Decorating By 1234me Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 9:29pm by tonedna

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 11

I have a buttercream iced cake and they want a fondant swag attached to it. I feel like the weight of it will make it hard to attach. Any suggestions? It will just swag across the top sides - not drape down the sides to the next layer.

10 replies
carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 11

I made a big heavy swag for my latest wedding cake. I used Piping gel and it didn't even move. It sticked to it on contact! I was concerned about the weight also. I think a blob of buttercream will be ok also.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 11

Be very careful to keep your swags thin/lightweight.

I tried this once and failed miserably.

I did not use fondant (might make a difference as far as weight is concerned) but instead I made my swags in a mold using candy clay.

You might get a better result using the tutorial on here about making your own swags using skewers, I know you will be able to roll the fondant out thinner.

I waited for the icing to crust, used dots of BC as "glue" and even secured them with toothpicks.

They were too thick and heavy and my icing was too soft and they just slid right down the cake overnight.

I know it can be done successfully, you just have to try. My advice is to experiment in advance.

HTH

Kim

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 11

roll it thin and you should do just fine, and attach the whole swag, not just the corners. Use piping gel or BC, NOT royal. That's where I would start and be very confident it would stay. It may depend on the sturdiness of your buttercream too.........

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 11

I had to do a ton of this for a wedding cake and swore I never would again. Mine were kind of heavy - make yours as thin and light as possible. I stuck mine on with buttercream, which worked fine. What I hated is that the weight of the swags cracked the smooth icing.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 11

Maybe theres a way you could anchor them for more scurity. Can you show us a pic of what you need to do? Do you have any wiggle room, as far as size, location, etc?

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 11

something like this but with buttercream as the base, not fondant. The swags will be fondant but the cake will be iced in buttercream.
LL
LL

fairycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairycupcakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 11

Why couldn't you make "swags" out of BC, just pipe it on like a ruffle with a large rose petal tip?

Just a suggestion...

HTH

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 11

You can attach as long as you have strong buttercream, not too thin..
I attach them with buttercream icing
Edna icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 11

sorry to thread-jack you....Edna I just adore your cakes! They are beautiful!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by holoien003

sorry to thread-jack you....Edna I just adore your cakes! They are beautiful!

Thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%