Absolute Beginner Needing Icing Advice/tips Please

Decorating By ruthieb1975 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 11:28am by ruthieb1975

ruthieb1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthieb1975 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I hope this is the correct place to post this.
I need your tips on decorating a cake. My son, who is going to be 4 has requested a Roary the Racing car cake (see link if you don't know who that is!)

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/product_images/13/63/60/13636014.jpg

Anyway, I have decided to give it a shot myself, as I have 3 boys and I thought it would be a useful skill to learn.

When I say I'm a beginner, I mean I've made sponge cakes with butter icing before. lol

I think I'm ok with the shape (did a practice run last week) but when it comes to the icing it was a disaster. I used the type that you buy and roll out. It turned out very soft and sort of melted, and the appearance of the cake was bumpy.

Would rolling the icing thicker help?
Should I use a layer of marzipan first?
Should I try to do the icing in sections?
Do I need to refrigerate for the icing to set?
Should I use a confectioners glaze?

Any other tips relating to icing/decorating that you think might help will be most appreciated. I promise I'll post a picture of it if I can work out how.

Thanks[/url]

4 replies
mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 5

Well I'm pretty much a beginner myself so I don't have any great advice for you but I hope you find someone to help you! It looks like a pretty challenging cake to make!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 5

Hi just a few things that I thought of and this will also give you a bump for more experienced decorator.

1. You want to put a layer of icing on the cake prior to covering with rolled icing (i.e. fondant). This will help you have a nice smooth surface to work with. You don't want to much icing though or the weight of the fondant will squish it out the bottom.

2. How thick are you rolling the fondant? I believe it should be somewhere between 1/8 & 1/4 inch thick.

3. What brand of rolled icing are you using and what are you rolling it out on and with (mat or counter - shortening or powderedsugar or cornstarch)?

HTH

JUDI

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 5

.....Would rolling the icing thicker help?.....
Most likely. As the other poster said, 1/4" is best.

......Should I use a layer of marzipan first?...
Here in the states we use buttercream under the fondant; you can use any melted jam (like apricot preserves, strained). This seals the cake so no air get to it to dry it out & it makes a sticky base for the fondant to adhere to.

......Should I try to do the icing in sections?...
probaly not.

......do I need to refrigerate for the icing to set?....
NO icon_smile.gif It will set just fine at room temp.

....Should I use a confectioners glaze?...
Not needed unless you need a high shine.

ruthieb1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthieb1975 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:28am
post #5 of 5

Thank you very much.

I think I rolled it too thin and also I didn't give it a chance to dry before I put it in a storage box.

Do I need to store it or is it ok to leave it exposed?

Last time I only used a supermarket own brand icing as I was just having a practice but I have precoloured icing called regalice.

Thanks again x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%