Why Don't We Talk About Pies On Here?

Lounge By BellaSweet Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 4:39am by Luvsthedogs

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #181 of 331

Lani-

Thanks for the information. When I vist El Paso, I will visit the cake store you recommended.

I have been to the Inn of the Mountain gods. I love to visit the town. Many shops with arts and crafts. My other favorite city is Cloudcraft too.

My sister is excited the new outlet store in sunland opened. Well, again thanks for the info.

Bundtdiva (Stacie)

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:07pm
post #182 of 331

Chris- Thanks for posting the picture of the Amethyst Pie. Very pretty, you did a great job. I have rarely made the lattice top -too lazy- but it is the perfect look for that filling. One trick for getting a beautiful finish on the top crust brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
Ok, what is this trick with freezing the bottom crust. What does it do for the bottom crust?

Does anyone have a trick for meringues that don't shrink. I seal the merginue to the crust, and it comes out of the oven attached. When the pies cools, 90% of the time it shrinks and comes loose on one side. The other issue is the brown weeping drops after the pie really cools.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #183 of 331

Huh, the same thing is happening with this thread as the cupcake thread -- no email notices. Anyone else having this problem??

chonrath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chonrath Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:38am
post #184 of 331

I'm so glad to see this topic. My mother loves to bake pie and I have started enjoying making them these past couple of years. My favorites are always the berry pies since we have lots of wild berries and local farms where you can pick your own. My current favorite is strawberry rhubarb streusel pie. I use this recipe from recipezarr.com My family loves it and not everyone is a fan of rhubarb. But they all devour this pie.

http://www.recipezaar.com/83789

chonrath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chonrath Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #185 of 331

Oh, also, there are 7 recipes for millionaire pie on www.recipezaar.com. There is one specifically listed as Furr's Cafeteria Millionaire Pineapple Pie. Hope this is what you were looking for. It sounds good. We'll have to give it a try.

http://www.recipezaar.com/112211

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:16am
post #186 of 331

Shoo-fly pie? I've never heard of this...What does this consist of? icon_eek.gif

Also, my favorite pie is Boysenberry Pie...Whenever I'm in the L.A. area, we always have to stop either at Knotts Berry Farm or Bakers Square for this pie.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:41am
post #187 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Huh, the same thing is happening with this thread as the cupcake thread -- no email notices. Anyone else having this problem??

icon_mad.gif yep, me too, only just found it by looking inside the actual forum thumbsdown.gif Hopefully everyone else will have a chance to do the same and notice that it's still going strong.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #188 of 331

I wasn't getting any of them either. The last one I got was page 11.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:57am
post #189 of 331

Some of my notices go to my spam folder and some go to my inbox. Don't know what the reasoning is for that! You might want to check your spam folder and see if that is where you are getting notices.

Shoo Fly Pie has molasses in it. It has a dark, gooey layer similiar to the pecan pie filling and then a more solid top. It's an old pie from way way back. I remember reading that it got its name from sitting in the window to cool and the baker would have to keep shooing the flies away.

Glad you liked the coconut cream pie, Luby. I really love it myself. It has replaced all other C.C. pie recipes for me!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:26am
post #190 of 331

I was up at 4a.m. and starting reading some back pages on here and got so hungry that I had to get off of here!

Last night made an apple pie but put it in a 9 x 13 pan, cut it into squares. It served a lot more people and I plunked a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and drizzled with caramel topping. Yumm! And instead of just pie wedges, it was different but fit onto the plates very pretty.

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #191 of 331

Vickymacd- I totally love the idea of baking square pies!!!

Also, did anyone watch the pie challenge last night. Man oh man those were some good looking pies. i wanna make a chery pie soooo bad right now. I am just dying to do a real crust, lattice and the works.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:18pm
post #192 of 331

Just a thought, can you imagine that if baking square pies became popular how that would change math problems in the future. LOL Just a thought

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #193 of 331

Theres new pan out maybe from kitchen krafts ?? Anyway its kind of a long rectangle and its for making pies in.

vickymacd Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #195 of 331

Saw that pan before and I think the idea is great because I LOVE the edges, but what a pain it looks like to cut it up for some reason to me.

Bellasweet~ we have a restaurant here called 'pie', but the logo is the mathematical symbol. And their building is square.
So now I'm envisioning a 'pie shop' that is circular and has seating in wedges all around the inside of the shop. The seating benches has a crimped cushy edge at the top by your neck....

Wow, I need to go do something more productive!
Think I'll go clean out the garden and plant some mums.
Think I need fresh air!!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #196 of 331

Ok, either I missed a page or it's not here... Can anyone share what's in the Amethyst Pie? It looks yummy! Please?!

Thank you!

nickshalfpint Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #197 of 331

It's half way down the page. It's a recipe from Narie. HTH, kristen

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddmmx5vd_9dp5h9hhp

jenlg Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #198 of 331

I don't know how I missed it. Thank you!!

nickshalfpint Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:08am
post #199 of 331

No problem icon_biggrin.gif I just want to say that cat on your avatar is adorable. I used to have a kitty named Kazi who looked just like that. I came home one day and he was gone icon_cry.gif I think someone stole him icon_mad.gif

jenlg Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:59am
post #200 of 331

Aww, sorry to hear that. He has a habit of sleeping on his back all stretched out like that. Also, he thinks he's a dog. He fetches and waits by the door to be let out like a dog onto our deck every morning.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:46pm
post #201 of 331

Someone mentioned a shoo-fly pie? Well I love them. I tasted my first one at a shop in Lancaster PA. I can't recall the name. They do ship these all over the country though. They are excellent. Anyway, I have a receipe that I make. Hope you like it. NOTE: you have to like molasses though.

Pennsylvania Dutch shoo-fly pie

In a large bowl combine:
3 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar, granulated
3/4 cup butter

This will be a crumbly crumb mixture. In a separate bowl mix:

1 cup hot water
1 cup dark molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda. dissolved in teaspoon vinegar. Stir until foam appears.

Line 2 9inch pie plates with your favorite pastry. Pour molasses mixture equally into 2 pie shells. Divide crumb mixture equally between 2 pies, spreading evenly on top. Bake in preheated 400' oven for 10 mins, then reduce to 350-375 for 30-35 mins. Results are moist bottom pie, yummie serve warm.
(receipe courtesy of mountain potpourri(cookbook) Waynesville N.C

I love this cookbook!!!!

I made this pie and shipped it to my DH in Iraq. It made it and was in good shape when he got it. He loved it!

Stephanie

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:47pm
post #202 of 331

Pie is the first food I learned to make. With my family Thanksgiving is all about the pie. Oh, we still do the big turkey, ham, dressing veggies, etc., but the dessert table is a thing of beauty - 10 pies at least, all different kinds. I have a great recipe for banana cream pie that uses real whipped cream and a cooked custard - it's out of this world. Will post the recipe later.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #203 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie59

Pie is the first food I learned to make. With my family Thanksgiving is all about the pie. Oh, we still do the big turkey, ham, dressing veggies, etc., but the dessert table is a thing of beauty - 10 pies at least, all different kinds. I have a great recipe for banana cream pie that uses real whipped cream and a cooked custard - it's out of this world. Will post the recipe later.

Oh pookie you're making me hungry!! icon_biggrin.gif

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 3:29am
post #204 of 331

Just wondering what the price on pies are these days? Are you guys selling any for the holidays? I know in the sotres(here in NC where I live) they run about 5.00 to 7.50 a pie.Sweet potatoe, pumpkin and coconut. Just wondering what to charge so I can be compatible with others.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #205 of 331

Dd whisperingmadcow ever post the recipe for the pumpkin pie that has yams in it? of not--please share!!

nickshalfpint Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 6:34am
post #206 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

Just wondering what the price on pies are these days? Are you guys selling any for the holidays? I know in the sotres(here in NC where I live) they run about 5.00 to 7.50 a pie.Sweet potatoe, pumpkin and coconut. Just wondering what to charge so I can be compatible with others.

The bakery I used to work at sells them for $11.50 and cream pies are $12.50. And they would sell A LOT of pies. They were all really good. The chocolate pecan pie was sooooooooo good. boy do i miss working there icon_cry.gif

vickymacd Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 11:47am
post #207 of 331

For whomever submitted the Amethyst Pie I have a question.....

You say to 'grind' the cranberries. Like fine grinding like coffee (sort of)
or just like processor grind? Or chop fine?

I want to try this and need the answer please. Also, do the cranberries cook enough? I don't usually work with cranberries. Thank you!

fiddlesticks Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #208 of 331

Does anyone have a recipe for pumpkin cheese ? I just had a piece of a Pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust and a caramel drizzle on top .It was heaven,So delicious! I just went through the file and unless I missed it I didnt see that anyone had posted a recipe for a pumpkin cheesecake ??

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #209 of 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

My favorite pie ever is from The Elegant Farmer. It is over by Milwaukee. They bake their apple pies in a brown bag coated with butter. The pie crust is carmilized and completely orgasmic. No, I didn't mean organic. icon_biggrin.gif Has anyone ever heard of this method, or know how to do this? I would love to try, but I am deathly afraid of the combination of fire from my gas oven, butter and paper. I have renters insurance, but I don't think it covers ignorance.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I hope this isn't redundant but, I have always baked my apple pies in a brown paper bag. I don't coat it in butter first,never had a problem with it burning, and have only gotten rave reviews on my pie. I just place it on a baking sheet and make sure it doesn't touch the sides of the oven. The bag does get greasy because instead of a top crust, I make a paste of butter, flour, sugar and brown sugar and spread it over the top before baking. Sooo good.
On a side note, I also bake my Thanksgiving turkey in 2 brown paper bags overlapped at each end, and it keeps the turkey so moist. I make the best turkey of anyone in my or my husbands families combined (and we have large families). Paper bags in baking RULE!!!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #210 of 331

Two of my favorite pies are Sour Cream Raisin and Gooseberry. My Grandma used to bake those but didn't write down her recipes. I've made both but they just don't taste the same. Of course she would raise her own gooseberries. I remember my Grandparents would always drizzle cream over the top of their pieces of fruit pie. I guess that was before they started whipping it! My Dad said when he was growing up that my Grandma made a pie every day and she would cut it in fourths for dinner for the 4 of them! He is 82 years old so I guess that way of eating didn't hurt him. icon_smile.gif He just got his cholestoral checked and it is 152!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%