Fondant Plauque

Decorating By mellormom Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 8:26am by judcreations

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:15am
post #1 of 6

Sorry can't spell. icon_smile.gif
I was going to make one and put a picture on it. I would like it to last for ever and it will not be eaten so would you use and edible image for this or do you think something else would be more permanent? Also, can you spray fondant and gumpaste with a protective craft spray or will that ruin it?
Thanks for any help!
Jen...

5 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 6

If the image is not going to be eaten and won't touch the cake, I recommend not using an edible image. I've never seen an edible image as clear as what you can get out of a nice color printer.

For the plaque you may want to check out cold porcelain instead of gumpaste.

Not sure about what you can put on this without ruining the image (?). I have used confectioners glaze on gumpaste items, but I'm not sure it would make it last 'forever.'

Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 6

Using gp instead of straight fondant would last much longer.
I made my dd's cake flower topper and she still has it some 15 yrs later. The colors are rather good considering the time element icon_smile.gif
I agree w/the other poster.....don't use an EI. A real pic would be better since you don't plan on it being eaten.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Using gp instead of straight fondant would last much longer.
I made my dd's cake flower topper and she still has it some 15 yrs later. The colors are rather good considering the time element icon_smile.gif
I agree w/the other poster.....don't use an EI. A real pic would be better since you don't plan on it being eaten.

kakeladi - will you share what GP recipe you used for an item to last so long. I've heard some good things about Scott Clark Woollery recipe lasting a while - but looks like a lot of work to make!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:23am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all the replies! My teacher made a gum-paste bouquet for her brother and they are still good and he was married 30 years ago.
what is cold porcelain and do you make it or buy it?
Jen...

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:26am
post #6 of 6

cold porcelain I think is ceramic paste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%