Luster Dust With No Airbrush?

Decorating By jjcakes Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 11:25pm by jjcakes

jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:50am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever tried to mix luster dust with vodka in a squirt/mist bottle and lightly mist a cake? I don't have an airbrush and was wondering if this might work at least a little bit to give an overall sheen to the cake? TIA

6 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:06am
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure the spray would be fine enough, and you may get drips. I would just paint it on with a wide paintbrush (to help avoid streaks), or rub the surface lightly with white vegetable fat and brush it on dry and buff with a large (new, clean) blusher brush.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:33am
post #3 of 7

I've used Super Pearl Dust in a PreVale sprayer, and it worked GREAT ! You can get them in the paint dept. at Lowes or Sherwin WIlliams, etc. I paid about 7 or 8.00 for mine...... LOVE IT !

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 7

I would just dust the cake with a large blush brush, or get a can of PME lustre spray. It's like $12-14 a can, but you can get a few cakes out of one can.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 7

Well, I don't know what happened to my post, but it only took the first few words..... I was TRYING to tell you about the Prevale Sprayer that I used and it worked VERY well......

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 7

Another post about the Preval sprayer:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-60261.html

Just so you have more info, and can decide for yourself if it's something you want to use.

jjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjcakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks ladies. I've been out of the game for some time now and I didn't even know about the PME spray! Looks great, I ordered one to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%