Just Curious...

Decorating By a_bishop73 Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 1:24am by a_bishop73

a_bishop73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a_bishop73 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:01am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone! I'm Amy, and I've been a closet Cake Central fan for about a year now! This is my first post, and I just want to say how wonderful this site is, including all of you who share your wonderful pictures and recipes! (I used some of your ideas for this cake!)

I have a question I am hoping you can help me with. How much would you normally charge for the cake I have posted below. It was 24" x 18", 1/2 choc, 1/2 white, with strawberry filling. It's far from perfect, (I'm still learning!), but I was asked about doing a few more this size. Thank you!
LL

9 replies
lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:19am
post #2 of 10

Hi! It's good to "meet" you. I'm not sure where you're located, but I'd say for that large amt. of cake I'd charge at least $75.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 10

My full sheet cakes (12x24x3") start at $260.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:10am
post #4 of 10

If I were selling a 12 by 18, I would probably charge at least $100. I couldn't get your picture to come up to see how it looked, but I'm thinking 24 by 18 with a filling has to start around $150 or $200, plus more if lots of decoration.

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 10

If I were to sell that cake I would charge around 75$. I live in a rural area and I just can't charge a lot for my cakes. Even wedding cakes from well known bakers are only going for $200 - $300. I wish everyone would raise the price and then people wouldn't have a choice but to pay it. I am doing a 9" round (double layer of course) white chocolate cake w/ buttercream and the stained glass look for $30. I know for a fact someone could get close to $100 for that cake in a better market.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 10

Pricing is sooooooooo hard to come up withicon_sad.gif
There are so many things that have to be figured into it. I can see why Kory charges so much....she is in Alaska! I'm sure prices for ingredients are much more than many of us pay.
The best thing to do is check places around you. Are there any bakers you know of that you can call? In store bakeries? Stand alone bakeries? Take an a verage and come up w/your own pricing.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 10

Look at other prices to see what things are going for, but also figure out your own costs and time. Maybe $100 will turn out to be the going rate, but you might find that you are working for $1 an hour and it isn't worth it. And if $100 is the going rate for cardboard tasting cake, you should be charging higher for your superior product.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:54am
post #8 of 10

Yes, prices are a little more up here (milk $3.65/gal at Sam's, sugar about $11.46 for 25#, AP flour $11.37 for 25#, and butter $117 for 50#) but I mainly charge what I do cause I'm the s%^t icon_smile.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

but I mainly charge what I do cause I'm the s%^t icon_smile.gif

LOL. Kory you're awesome! thumbs_up.gif

a_bishop73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a_bishop73 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much for your replies! I am still new to all of this...just kind of a hobby for now, but I have people asking me about making cakes for them. All of that aside, I really do have to agree...Kory you are AWESOME!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%