What Am I Doing Wrong? Stacked Square Cakes

Decorating By MicheleH Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm by MicheleH

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #1 of 3

I made a wedding cake last weekend that was 10", 12" & 14" square. When I took the cakes out if the oven, they were fairly level, so I didn't trim off any. (I wanted the cakes to be 4" high.) At the reception when I stacked the cakes on top of each other, they were higher in the middle of the cake and sloped down on the sides. What can I do next time???? These cakes had no bottom border on them, just a thin ribbon, so it was obvious that they weren't "square". Help!!

2 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 3

You should have trimmed off the tops evenly. I do this while my cakes are still in the pan to make sure it's perfectly even. I let them cool a little and then I run my large knife across the pan, then I let them cool a bit more, after removing from the pan I wrap them and let them settle a bit usually overnight I neverbake and ice the same day. Try again and good luck next time. Also I have never baked a cake that's 4" tall I only bake 2" cakes

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 3

I too, am baking 2" cakes, but then stack them so that they turn out 4" tall. I never thought about letting the cakes settle before icing them. I guess I always tried to ice the same day so that they would stay moist. Do you suppose I could use a large cake leveler across the top of my larger (14+) sized pans?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%